+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: i've been doing a little research...

i've been doing a little research...

this could also probably be changed to the official offseason thread.

i just ran through the list of FA 1st and 3rd basemen, and i've come to the conclusion that there is no FA out there that i'd rather have than inge and sheldon.

this is disapointing, cuz i figured we'd use some of that money thats coming off the books to upgrade one of those two spots, and add some dingers to our line up.

if we're going to upgrade one of those two spots, its going to have to be a trade... which i cant even speculate about.

a dream get would be ryan howard, who's putting up mvp numbers for the phillies at first. but i dont think 26 year old, 50 homerun hitters are usually traded.

What about Nomar for 1st?

Howard is not available at any price including bondy, V, or Z.

right. we're completely agreed on that.

since when does nomah play first? i see thats where he's listed. when did he switch? but im not interested in him. even at a discount, im not interested in a guy you know is going to miss a big part of the season.

He switched this year. Injuries, and a place to play him.

I'd like his .400 OBP, but I'm guessing he'll want 9-11 million for 2-3 supposing he clears a physical.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    this could also probably be changed to the official offseason thread.

i just ran through the list of FA 1st and 3rd basemen, and i've come to the conclusion that there is no FA out there that i'd rather have than inge and sheldon.

this is disapointing, cuz i figured we'd use some of that money thats coming off the books to upgrade one of those two spots, and add some dingers to our line up.

if we're going to upgrade one of those two spots, its going to have to be a trade... which i cant even speculate about.

a dream get would be ryan howard, who's putting up mvp numbers for the phillies at first. but i dont think 26 year old, 50 homerun hitters are usually traded.
    The Tigers won't get much salary relief when you account for the increases in salary to guys like Magglio, Guillen, Polanco, Bonderman, Maroth and such.

I think that LF and starting pitching is where we can/will improve.

Lee and Soriano are available in left, and Zito and a few other guys are there as starters.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Don't forget Barry Bonds. Seriously.

Have a hard time seeing us getting a top notch starter DSC. We have six guys going for 5 spots next year, not counting Dirty. Money might be better spent elsewhere or saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Don't forget Barry Bonds. Seriously.

Have a hard time seeing us getting a top notch starter DSC. We have six guys going for 5 spots next year, not counting Dirty. Money might be better spent elsewhere or saved.
    I think that if you have opprotunity to get someone like Zito(or Matasuka) you take it. Ace type pitchers DO NOT come on the FA market except once in a GREAT while. Injuries are always there with pitchers(Dirty has a history, Maroth this year, the Cubs, etc.), and we have 2 studs(Bondo and Verlander), 2 pretty decent guys(Maroth and Robertson), 1 old question mark(Rogers, will he be able to put up next year? or in the postseason?), and 2 young ones(Miner, is this a fluke? and Sanchez, can he stay healthy? Will he still perform in the majors?). That's 7 guys, but 3 or 4 could easily end up as trade bait, and 1 could be dead here soon.

Then trade Maroth and Miner, and use a 6 man rotation including Dirty(for at least part of the season), Bondo/Zito/Verlander/Robertson/Dirty/Rogers. Alternating RH/LH, and you have possibly the best postseason rotation out there.

Well, Zito is pretty good, but I think he's a #2 pitcher, not an ace, and he's gonna want 12 mil a year. Kinda steep for a guy who's 51-44 the last 4 years. I'd sooner address one of the serious holes we have with that kind of money, or better yet address the depth issue we now see come to light. I don't mind using guys as trade bait, but we already have Pudge, Maggs, and KRog soaking up big chunks of salary, and I'd be suprised to see DD chase another big piece unless Illich really does plan on becoming a 90-100 mil salary team.

That said Zito switched to Boras and you know how he and DD get along. Could it happen? Maybe. Would it really be the best move given our limited resources and obvious, easy to fill holes? Not IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Well, Zito is pretty good, but I think he's a #2 pitcher, not an ace, and he's gonna want 12 mil a year. Kinda steep for a guy who's 51-44 the last 4 years. I'd sooner address one of the serious holes we have with that kind of money, or better yet address the depth issue we now see come to light. I don't mind using guys as trade bait, but we already have Pudge, Maggs, and KRog soaking up big chunks of salary, and I'd be suprised to see DD chase another big piece unless Illich really does plan on becoming a 90-100 mil salary team.

That said Zito switched to Boras and you know how he and DD get along. Could it happen? Maybe. Would it really be the best move given our limited resources and obvious, easy to fill holes? Not IMO.
    I don't see the resources as 'limited', I think that we're gonna have a big wad to spend, and we aren't going to regret signing a stud pitcher who is younger than 30.

I think that the available 1b/3b guys are pretty limited, and that is where we need someone the most. Aramis Ramirez could oft out, and that would be an option, but outside of him there is nothing, other than a few quality backups.

Lee or Soriano are possible to take over in LF, but then you need to drop either Monroe or Thames, if the offer for one is out there then you do this, obviously, if not though, you are just begging for some problems.

Outside of the LF's and SP's this FA class seems pretty limited for us, so I don't see what we could be going after, unless we want to do a trade where we take on $. Maybe go after Andruw Jones, and move Grandy to left, obviously dependent on Jones signing an extension. Not sure what could be on the market elsewhere, but if it is there, then I would be more willing to wait, but if not, then I don't see what we're waiting for.

+ Reply to Thread