+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natural Gas right off our shores

Natural Gas right off our shores

but the libs blocked plants to process it here, so we buy it from Russia via Mexico.

tahoeshakesheadatlibs
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'm against the new drilling for many reasons.

1) every economics expert says it won't effect the economy for at least 10 years.

2) despite the return down the road, it costs money to start these up (and not just private money)

3) any attention and funds for drilling diverts attention from long term solutions (solar, air, etc).

4) once it's gone, it's gone. I'd like to preserve the environment as much as possible. Even though we wouldn't be directly effected by the rigs there are species down there that will be.

5) just because we give a company a permit doesn't mean they drill. They sit on leases and don't develop the resources.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I'm with you on 1 and 5, "drill baby drill" as an energy solution is the chant of koolaid drinkers. The three points in the middle though, I'm not so sure.

As I understood it, private money pays for these leases, private money develops them and then, they hope, the market pays them a profit for whatever they can pull out. Where does public expense enter the picture?

Although drilling always has some environmental impact, isn't it really a case-by-case basis determination as to whether any particular species is being endangered by it? Seems that in many (most?) cases the impact falls within what might be called acceptable levels.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    but the libs blocked plants to process it here, so we buy it from Russia via Mexico.

tahoeshakesheadatlibs
    By "libs", you mean George H. W. Bush, right? Papa Bush is the one who blocked most offshore drilling in the first place, in the wake of the Exxon Valdez spill. At that time, enough "libs" and conservatives strongly agreed against drilling that Bush would lose in all the coastal states if he didn't sign the bill.

I don't know the finances of the whole system, but there has to be some sort of governmental incentives given to the companies.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

We don't import ANY natural gas from russia and mexican imports are <<1% of total use.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_move_impc_s1_m.htm
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu
    We don't import ANY natural gas from russia and mexican imports are <<1% of total use.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_move_impc_s1_m.htm
    thank you.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    On a bit of a side note... I work in the HVAC industry, and my big project as of late is yearly heating costs vs initial equipment costs, factoring in where you live, how big your home is, etc. It's a pretty interesting time to be doing this work due to the spiking cost of heating oil, propane and soon natural gas, and how these compare to less common methods of heating that may become more popular due to these rising costs. My home for one will be killed if some of these natural gas price projections for this winter come true.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe

tahoeshakesheadatlibs
    Where did this part come from, BTW?

I didn't get past the "libs" part before I had a history flashback.

You are all wrong and have learned nothing.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread