+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: aesthetically speaking, now vs then

aesthetically speaking, now vs then

so far i think we've seen pretty much what michigan's offense is supposed to look like. im sure there'll be plenty more wrinkles, and eventually the qb will be making more kinds of throws (i'd think?). but lots of sideways running, read options, bubble screens, and short routes.

do you prefer this offense to michigan's old pro style, aesthetically speaking?

(not what is more affective. just, which style you find more interesting to watch).

for me, i liked the old style better. it was pretty boring running up the middle for 2 foot gains 50 times a game, but the spread has boring plays too (every times a bubble screen doesnt work i wonder why RR ever calls it). but the dramatic times made up for it. if you watch some classic michigan games on btn, there are so many unbelievable moments, especially to win the game where a reciever comes down with it and every in the crowd raises up at the same time. it was more poetic than what we have now.

not complaining. aesthetics are secondary.

It's hard not to see all the options a quarterback who can scramble gives you over the statues we've been used to the last ... 8 years(Henne + Navarre?) as being more fun to watch. It's also tough to gage Carr's offense well when the last time we saw it it was literally the worst offense in the Big Ten.

I think the current offense will be more fun to watch when Michigan gets the talent at receiver that it is used to having. I don't think the plays were the problem under Carr but rather the play calling. That said, like any good Big Ten fan I like to see a truly dominant offensive line just take over a game and watch Chris Perry run 50+ times simply because he can. I will miss that. I won't miss the fade to the corner being the only pass play we attempt inside the red zone.

Also, a defense that isn't horseshit will help the offense look better (quicker turnaround from defense to offense, better field position = more opportunity to use the whole playbook). Can't hurt to have a kid who's been here more than 12 minutes running things as well.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    It's hard not to see all the options a quarterback who can scramble gives you over the statues we've been used to the last ... 8 years(Henne + Navarre?) as being more fun to watch. It's also tough to gage Carr's offense well when the last time we saw it it was literally the worst offense in the Big Ten.

I think the current offense will be more fun to watch when Michigan gets the talent at receiver that it is used to having. I don't think the plays were the problem under Carr but rather the play calling. That said, like any good Big Ten fan I like to see a truly dominant offensive line just take over a game and watch Chris Perry run 50+ times simply because he can. I will miss that. I won't miss the fade to the corner being the only pass play we attempt inside the red zone.

Also, a defense that isn't horseshit will help the offense look better (quicker turnaround from defense to offense, better field position = more opportunity to use the whole playbook). Can't hurt to have a kid who's been here more than 12 minutes running things as well.
    Fool breakin it down.

I agree with that, but when was the last time we won a title doing it? Its nice to get some good ol meat and potato boys up front and run it, but then going to the Rose Bowl and getting owned by much faster kids gets old.

ahh the memories.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    I remember beating Florida like it was yesterday.

How about you, LDB?
    Find a new slant.

And we ran some spread sets too.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Yes, YES we ran a spread offense against Florida--or rather--we USED THE FUCKING WEAPONS AT OUR DISPOSAL for once in a goddamm millenium.

I love the offense NOW. As in, right now, with a "pass first, run second" quarterback. And the use of Mega Tight End Kevin Koger. Interesting thing in the future will be to see if UM continues to use QB's like Forcier and the tight end. We're not recruiting any tight ends right now--once Koger, Webb and Moore are gone, what will happen there?

I'd like to see more use of the running backs as pass catchers.

In short, I want nothing to do with Rodriguez's WVU offense. I want a hybrid of that and old UM--which is what we are running now.

I'm still not sold on Rodriguez and defense. The Word from Scout is that the defensive coaches are not good recruiters (Robinson, Tall, Hopson and Gibson), and in fact don't really recruit that much. Huh? WVU did have good defenses under DickRod--but that was with Casteel, who did not follow him here, and I don't think DickRod has recovered from that. I do not believe you plug bodies in at defense (Obi Ezeh, anyone?)--go out and get defensive players that who actually PLAYED fucking defense! The '09 class gave me such hope, and we do have Marvin Robinson coming in, but look at the depth chart and we are woeful at linebacker and thin at DB--yet the 2010 class isn't seeing a big recruiting year on D outside of Robinson (yet).

I look at the hiring of Greg Robinson--it gives me a boner. But the guy needs players. I look at Tall and Hopson--both guys who haven't coached the positions they are now coaching. Both have done their work with DB's in the past. I look at our DLine and say, "What da fuck dye gon' do without Brandon Graham next year?" I look at our linebackers and say, "What da fuck is dey doin' NOW?" and 2010 looks like the second year in a row without any LB recruits worth a poop. Lots of fliers--Hawthorne, Jones, Bell in '09, and Kinnard this year--but no Big Timers. I see lots of turning DB's into linebackers (Bell, MRob possibly, Jones)--better hope that works out.

People want to talk about DickRod's two big bowl wins--but WVU gave up 35 to Georgia and 28 and a ton of yards to Oklahoma--and we are seeing a defense this year that is porous. You gonna have to top somebody, someday--right now UM is doing defense with smoke and mirrors, if you axe me.

That's why I want a combo of WVU and old UM--I like Big Plays, but I also, like others, like it when even if you don't score you can protect a 23-13 4th quarter lead by chewing up yards and time. What this offense may have trouble doing is reversing bad field position in tight games.

But I also think we see what the potential is, and what the potential is when UM doesn't shoot themselves in the foot. Under RR, WVU was always among the best in terms of low penalties and low turnover ratios. So far this year, not bad on either front.

UM's offensive production steadily declined over the last half decade under Carr. Carr's talent seemed to be showcased only when the handcuffs came off and the players needed to take the game over. MSU in Henne's freshman year, the OSU game in '06, and a few others.

Under DickRod, a couple things stand out this year: Against WMU, leading 24-0, Tate is unleashed to throw a bomb to Hemmingway at the end of the first half. Kill shot. 31-0, game over. Under Carr, IF UM had the 24-0 lead and the ball with two minutes left in the half, it's run, run, run out the clock and go in satisfied with that lead.

Against Notre Dame--once UM hits the 30, under Carr that is three running plays and a prayer field goal to force OT. Rodriguez has Forcier passing and going for the win. Result? Game over when it SHOULD be. Confidence and FUN.

Against EMU: a tight game (to be expected due to emotional letdown and don't fucking tell me that won't happend after the offseason BS, and two emotional games). Blowoot in second half to win the game handily. A funny lil thing called "adjustments" that stifles those pesky Hurons, and UM wakes up. Nice.

I just want this type of offense to continue. I want them to hit the defensive recruiting HARD. And the rest of the shit will be DickRod being DickRod (and please get rid of Hopson)--and UM will be fine and dandy. The toast of the Big Ten and the world (if Dantonio lets that happen, of course).
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Is this the kind of thing Zip usually posts? Maybe I should start reading him again.

Solid Z.
    STEW BEEF!

Don't know if you guys watched the wildcat in action last night, but Miami put on a running clinic. It is very similar to plays Michigan runs (with those handoff options), except that Michigan uses the QB instead of another RB back there. It worked great because they had 1 RB sweep left (Cobbs), 1 RB sweep right (Williams) and the QB/RB (Brown) could hand off to either or run up the middle himself.

The best part is that even when the OLB's and DE's for Indi started being disciplined and staying out in their gaps, they then left the middle wide open for big chunks. Miami averaged over 9 yards a carry I think. And you can use that formation and pass from it too after the fake handoffs. Even if a safety only bites for a second it lets guys past them deep. Miami WR's dropped two TD's on those plays where the safety bit.

That is what I'd like to see with Forcier. You can always motion the RB into the flat and throw a screen pass too. It also translates over to Robinson at QB as well. The only thing I didn't like watching it last night was they never threw from it (which is crazy because Indi had 8-9 men in the box and still couldn't stop it). But with Forcier/Robinson instead of Ronnie Brown you have a lot better passer back there for that option.

Personally I like the spread better. Not because it's more entertaining (I liked the 50 carries down their throat too from Perry). I like it because it's not predictable. I hated knowing the play before it was ran (like you could do with Carr).

You watch these games, and then read reactions on Scout or MgoBlog (an amalgamation of pretend-UM grads and Scout guys who have found another outlet to post the same stupid shit over and over again)--and you then get a feeling for how stupid most Michigan fans are (and by most, I generally mean those who do not post here).

First, the boards are all awash with condemnations of individual players. This is nothing new, it's a long Michigan Man tradition that really peaked lst year and hasn't subsided.

And now, the boards are all awash with criticisms of the coaching staff. Not downright, "These guys sux" shit, but questioning play calling, player use, strategeries, etc.

Rodriguez and Company are being criticized FAR more this year (in fact, there was basically NO criticism of RR last year) with a 4-0 record than he was after running off hal the team, hiring Scott Shafer, and going 3-9 with the worst team in the history of the world. I don't get it--DO YOU? Now again, don't get me wrong, no one is calling for his head (yet)--but doubts about Greg Robinson are creeping in from MORONS who spent the offseason worried about the defense anyway.

What we UM fans need to do is sit back and watch every minute of every game. Take all the games in their entireity, and take the season that way, and then do the real work of armchair coaching after it's all over.

Right now this team is too fucking entertaining to live or die by play, quarter, half, or game. I think the figure is that about 75% of the players are in their first or second year of college football. That ought to tell you something. There is a decent mix of experience in the right places (where injuries haven't taken their toll)--but I look at this team and I'm all, "Fuck this is FUN (for the first time in who knows how long), and they are 4-0 with two last minute comebacks? Fuckin' A"

It's pretty impressive.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

+ Reply to Thread