+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal Immigration - Interesting angle

Illegal Immigration - Interesting angle

I usually hate chain letters, but I got this one from a friend recently. It's a pretty interesting analogy on the subject (a little sensational, but interesting none the less):

Let's say I break into your house

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Her point:

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests :

Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors. I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house)".

According to the protesters:
    · You are Required to let me stay in your house
    · You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan
    · You are Required to Educate my kids
    · You are Required to Provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there.
    It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself.

I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house.

And what a deal it is for me!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior. Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you to learn MY LANGUAGE!!! so you can communicate with me.

Last edited by WTFchris; 03-07-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    The analogy falls apart when someone from your house invites the immigrant to jump through the window to paint the house because they're cheap and you don't want to pain the house, and the lock is too much of a pain for both of them to deal with.

That's the most self righteous right wing piece of shit opinion I've ever seen on the subject.
    I'm not going to tell someone who has little or no choices in the world that they have to stay somewhere and be happy making $4.00 per year and work 16 hour days to get it to stay where they are.
    No one told that to the Irish, German, Italian, and whatever other immigrants back at the turn of the century.
    Alot of immigrants (illegal or legal), take jobs no one wants, start businesses, and are generally just like the rest of us: trying to make it in a tough world.
    And the language thing, that's just stupid. Byt the second or third generation, they're speaking almost exclusively English, and forgotten their native tongue.
    Of course, if we would have stopped illegal immigration years ago, Rush Limbaugh would have had to go out and buy his OWN drugs.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

I hate the phrase jobs that nobody wants. That's total BS. You can't tell me that no american would do those jobs. The reason why they don't do the job is because the employers hire cheaper illegal labor. If that pool of workers were not there, they'd be force to pay the appropriate wage and they wouldn't be jobs american's won't do. What happened before the huge influx of mexicans? People did those jobs then. Look at coal miners. Heck, watch Dirty Jobs. People do some really shitty stuff out there. I bet there are a lot of hungry people willing to do those jobs that people "won't do". We'll never find out though because the illegals are willing to do those jobs for less.

I have no problem with immagration (%99 of us come from immagrant families), just the illegal ones. I have a problem with paying my taxes to support people here illegally.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

My wife's best friend is married to an illegal immigrant. Its really a trip to see up close what they can and can't do being illegal. It's a rough life.
    STEW BEEF!

You make a good point on the phrase "jobs that nobody wants". That probably is an unfair statement, because there is never going to be a shortage of freckly faced teenagers and such to work in the restaurant business, etc.
    And you are right: Construction companies like to pay the cheaper labor wages that the (mostly) Mexican workers get.
    The blame should go more toward the business owners who employ illegals, don't pay benefits and all the rest.
    But it seems funny then, that the people who should get most of the blame for the problem are people you would generally classify as "Conservative" (and, the people seemingly bitching the loudest about the problem): Corporations, business owners, rich elites who staff their mansions with illegals.
    BUT, the letter equating it to breaking and entering is a complete fucking moronic angle, if for no other reason then the FRONT door to the house may be locked, but most definitely someone has "accidentally" left the back door open.

didn't know this would light a fire under you. The point I got from this is that America is our home. We pay for it (with taxes) just like we pay for our home. Why should we let people be in our home illegally and allow them to undermine our system? If they want to live here, live here on the terms set forth by the home (America).

And I agree with where a lot of the blame resides.

I also admit I know very little about the process of becoming legal and whether or not people are getting the shaft there at attempting to become a model citizen.

Chris:
    You hate the "jobs nobody wants" angle, and I HATE the tax angle.
    I can't or wouldn't want to, go into the tax angle: Our tax dollars are going to support a war in Iraq that is a farce. The examples of tax dollar waste and corruption are far too vast to comprehend.
    How can you have a disagreement with tax dollars that actually go to help people? If you hate tax waste there, you'd probably have to speak out against most of what our tax dollars go to.

well, i hate that particular war too, and I've never made that a secret. it's not a question of the war helping people, it's the fact that our president made up a BS reason to go there in the first place and thinks it's ok to continue the lie. It's probably a good thing that I don't know where a lot of our taxes go. I might have a melt down.

I'm going to tread lightly here, Chris.
    I think there is some "groupthink" hypocrisy attached to those statements about "undermining our system", or "it's our home".
    The Earth is not "our home", as it were, for us to put up fences around certain parts and keep people out (I mean countries, not back yards).
    Where there is money, food, and shelter, people are going to go. Where there is total corruption, total abuse, massive disrespect for human life, and abominable living conditions, people will leave. And they are entitled to do so.
    Who are we to sit here, in this land full of plenty, and plenty of waste, and tell starving, education deprived, abused, war torn, and hopeless souls that THIS part of the world, this land, which is mostly empty, but full of opportunities that they otherwise would not ever have (opportunities such as survival), is off limits, unless they get in some line, fill out some paperwork, and wait about 10 years till they can get here.
    In the meantime, the people who SHOULD be the stewards of THIS land trash thier lives and their opportunites, and surrender their power to make a difference here.

+ Reply to Thread