+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trouble ahead? Rip grumbling about minutes

Blog Entries

Trouble ahead? Rip grumbling about minutes

What's up with Rip and Flip?

Posted by A. Sherrod Blakely December 02, 2007 01:31AM

For those who didn't watch tonight's game, there was a moment in the second quarter where Rip Hamilton was very upset at Flip Saunders for taking him out of the game.

It had the potential to be a real ugly, ugly scene.

But Hamilton had his moment of venting, and took a seat on the bench.

I suspect this won't be the last time we see Hamilton and Saunders at odds with one another.

Now don't get me wrong.

This is not one of those divisive-type issues that you find in New York.

More than anything else, this is about two highly competitive people who have a different view on what this team needs to be successful.

Saunders wants to play the bench as much as possible, knowing that it'll keep the veterans fresher during the season and into the playoffs.

Rip is all for that, provided he can play more minutes than he's averaging now.

While Rip's minutes may creep up a little bit, I don't see him being in that high-30s, low-40 minute per game range he's used to.

For starters, the backups have played pretty good this year. And Hamilton, if we're being totally honest here, has not played well. Injuries and the birth of his child have certainly set his game back a bit.

But his whole game, even when he's making shots, seems to be off a bit.

He knows this.

That's why he's quick to say that he's still trying to find his rhythm on the floor. But if his minutes are limited, getting into a rhythm becomes a lot tougher, which is why he was so upset at Saunders tonight.

But the problem is, Rip hasn't played well enough for extended stretches to make Saunders want to keep him on the floor.

I think as Hamilton continues to get healthier and more consistent with his play, he'll continue to be an important part of Detroit's success.

I talked with Rip after tonight's game, and he made it pretty clear to me that, yes, he wants to play more minutes. But he understands that his minutes aren't going to be plentiful now that the team's focus is on continuing to develop the bench.

I'll be following how this story developments over the course of this season.
    Find a new slant.

Rip for Kobe. RIGHT NOW. Straight up.

Should we go to Realgm and start the predictable "Who wants Rip?" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I think that this shows why we won't win another Championship. Besides becoming complacent at times, a few players have lost the idea of the team concept and are more worried about themselves (yes, I mean you Rip). Add to that a coach that want to be friends with all of his players as opposed to being their boss and it will end up causing some of these problems. Saunders needs to put his foot down and Rip needs to see the big picture for the good of the team. As much as I didn't like LB, he wouldn't put up with this crap!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Rip Hamilton scored 20 ppg in 32 mpg on a slow-paced Carlisle offense.

I've long had a hunch that 32 mpg is about the right # of regular season minutes for Rip. Not that I'm expecting him to drop 20 ppg, but his high energy off-the-ball game doesn't work for him for 40 mpg all season and post-season long.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    This can't be a legit complaint. Not when he and cbill were lagging like old pussies by the ECF for two str8 years. He has to be joking or smoking. Whatever it is, I hope he gets his head stra8.

And no I dont want Kobe. Thats a worse problem.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Keeping players a little hungry for more minutes is probably a good thing. There was a lot of talk in the off season about how minutes had to be earned, even for the veterans.

As long as it doesn't escalate into anything silly, I view it as a healthy sign.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by micknugget
    As much as I didn't like LB, he wouldn't put up with this crap!
    I loved Larry.

Rip should shut the fuck up. Finally we get a situation where one of our starters isn't playing a ton of minutes and he can't take it? boo hoo. The Flipper better not capitulate. Grow a set of balls.

Blog Entries
    And people think the Pistons are built for the playoffs? LOL

Blog Entries
    I'm sure he'll get more minutes when the prodigal son comes back from his hand/wrist injury...wait
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread