+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAFT STAFFORD #1 DAMN IT!

DRAFT STAFFORD #1 DAMN IT!

I'm officially on board.

I know our history with Millen and drafting skilled positions, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a guy that could be our starter for a decade.

We have 20 and 33 to pick up a really good Lineman on both sides of the ball or whatever falls to us.

Give Danny End Zone the ball next year, or DC, who cares, neither is our QB of the future.

Just cuz Millen is a fuck bucket doesn't mean we shouldn't take a QB overall and put him on the bench.

btw...FA is going to kind of suck this year with all the tags this year, so we really do need to look to the draft to fill holes.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Stafford is looking like he may be better than anything this year or next... I'm warming up to the idea of taking him first and letting him sit for a year. We'll wait and see what the plans are. It's easier to do that since we have two first rounders.

If we can get someone like NT Gabe Watson, Rocky Bernard or Tank Johnson in FA, I would be really open to the idea of Stafford/Laurinaitis/Alphonso Smith (although we still need to plug in a LG).

It's easier to do since we have 2 first rounders
    I think that is the only reason we can afford to get a guy and sit him.

The Lions took Stafford to din din last night, some steak house. He isnt going to throw at the combine, but will do everything else. He will throw at pro day next month.

From what I've read, he interviews well too, unlike Andre Smif who is falling, mostly cuz of interview type things.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Meyhew said they are not drafting a guy without a contract BTW. I'm not sure Stafford would be a problem on that front, but it could come into play.

What do you guys think about Freeman? He will probably be there at #20. We could take Curry #1, Freeman #20, CB/OG in the 2nd and opposite in early 3rd.

Here is a scouting report on him:

Josh Freeman

6'6, 250 pounds | Kansas State | Quarterback

Strengths: Incredible arm strength. Can make just about any deep throw. Puts a nice touch on passes and knows when to take some heat off throws. Great size and can take a hit. Never had the best offensive line protecting him and was pressured frequently. Showed during his junior season that he can be mobile rushing for 14 touchdowns. Cut down on his interceptions ever season but still needs to improve his decision making. Played in a pro-style offense, albeit mostly from the shotgun.

Weaknesses: Not quite ready to be a starting NFL quarterback because of his lack of technique and proper footwork. Rarely steps into his throws. Holds the ball too low when he drops back which nullifies any kind of quick release he would have. Deep accuracy is somewhat questionable. Took the majority of his snaps from the shotgun. Struggles when he has to throw on the move.

Final word: Freeman is an incredibly intriguing prospect. He has a powerful arm and good touch. However, he is very mechanically flawed and will need a patient quarterbacks coach. Threw 34 interceptions in 35 career games, which is troublesome. Still, some team will fall in love with his physical tools. At times his play is reminiscent of Ben Roethlisberger, but he's been too inconsistent to chance a first-round pick on.
    I'll take Big Ben part 2.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Did the best I could on formatting this:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Overall Football Traits
    Production
    Freeman appeared in 11 of 13 games as a true freshman in 2006, including starts in the final eight games. He started all 12 games as a sophomore in 2007, completing 63.3-percent of his throws for 3,353 yards with 18 TDs and 11 INTs. He started all 12 games again as a junior in 2008, completing 58.6-percent of his throws for 2,945 yards with 20 TDs and 8 INTs.
    Height-Weight-Speed
    Top of the line physical tools. Is tall, well-built and also moves well for his size.
    Durability
    Remarkably durable. Big and flexible athlete. Started the final 32 consecutive games at KSU.
    Character
    No off-the-field issues. Showed a lot of character carrying his team and battling through some tough seasons at KSU. But scouts will work long and hard trying to uncover his true leadership skill and mental capacity prior to draft weekend, as there are questions regarding both.

Quarterback specific Traits
    Game Management3
    Inconsistent. Struggled in bigger games versus faster defenses. Makes bad reads on occasion and throws into double coverage too often, especially when pass rush is closing in on him. Will occasionally take too long to recognize coverage and find open receiver. Another year of mental development and refining would have benefited him. However, he's a three-year starter with excellent game experience for only a junior. He had to consistently try to overcome a marginal supporting cast and was forced to take some chances in order to make plays at times.
    Accuracy
    Stands tall in the pocket and can see the entire field. Plays in pro-style offense and is accustomed to taking snaps under center and making reads while dropping. Is very accurate when he makes the right decision on where to go with the ball. Can be erratic with his decisions at times. Will try to force too many throws. Tends to stare down his primary target until he has decided whether he's open or not. Needs to look off the safeties more often. Touch as an underneath passer needs improving, as well.
    Release
    A bit of a three-quarter delivery, but not a factor because of his excellent height. He sets the ball high, will pat it before delivering on occasion, and then dips the ball down before bringing it forward. His velocity makes up for it most of the time but he definitely gives DB's a slight tip.
    Arm Strength
    Excellent arm strength. Can fit the ball into tight spaces and shows good touch on the deep ball. Can drill the ball 40 yards on a rope without a problem (see: first TD pass versus Texas Tech in 2008).
    Mobility
    Shows quick feet in set. Very agile for his size. Good athlete. A threat to tuck the ball and run. Good vision as a runner. Will make a sharp cut and find daylight. Size and strength make him very effective on QB sneaks. Needs to protect the ball better when he takes off

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

It sounds like he had crap around him in his senior year (similar to Matt Ryan when his accuracy dropped from %61 to %59 his last year at BC).

Big arm is key with CJ here IMO. The mobility is nice too. He's not a dual threat QB, but he can pull the ball down and run when he needs to. i would imagine with that arm he could throw while scrambling too.

He could sit a year while DC starts and maybe come in midseason if he's ready that fast.

I'd much rather do that and get our defense squared away than draft Stafford and feel like we had to play him right away.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Meyhew said they are not drafting a guy without a contract BTW. I'm not sure Stafford would be a problem on that front, but it could come into play.

What do you guys think about Freeman? He will probably be there at #20. We could take Curry #1, Freeman #20, CB/OG in the 2nd and opposite in early 3rd.

Here is a scouting report on him:

I'll take Big Ben part 2.
    Ah hem...please refer to thread title.

alsoilldosomemorereadingonfreeman
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'm not allowed to disagree? this will be a pretty boring thread if it's just a Stafford circle jerk.

Also, I know you are just joking around

It sounds like he had crap around him in his senior year (similar to Matt Ryan when his accuracy dropped from %61 to %59 his last year at BC).

Big arm is key with CJ here IMO. The mobility is nice too. He's not a dual threat QB, but he can pull the ball down and run when he needs to. i would imagine with that arm he could throw while scrambling too.

He could sit a year while DC starts and maybe come in midseason if he's ready that fast.

I'd much rather do that and get our defense squared away than draft Stafford and feel like we had to play him right away.
    If aren't committed to sitting Staf for a year, then I don't think I'd want to draft him. We really need to get about 2 years of rebuilding this team before we unveil the QB of the future, imo.
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'm not allowed to disagree? this will be a pretty boring thread if it's just a Stafford circle jerk.

Also, I know you are just joking around
    I wanted this thread to be a Stafford reach-around thread.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread