Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Pistons Training Camp thread

Blog Entries

2008 Pistons Training Camp thread

A couple of surprises here.

Herrmann shines in open scrimmage

by A. Sherrod Blakely

ROCHESTER -- Usually intra-squad scrimmages aren't all that interesting. Players stretch, throw down a couple dunks, make a few passes that they wouldn't dare do in a real game, and then they leave.

The Pistons' practice at Oakland University had some of that, of course. But it also had several players who clearly gave the coaches something to think about in the coming days as they inch closer toward figuring out what the rotation will be this season.

Without question, the star of the scrimmage was Walter Herrmann. The 6-foot-9 forward put on a show shooting the ball, knocking down 3-pointers from all points on the floor.

"Lighting it up," said Rasheed Wallace, referring to Herrmann's shooting. "Herm did good. That's the best I've seen Herm shoot for a practice since he's been here."

Said Pistons head coach Michael Curry: "We talked to Valter today. Guys were laughing because, one of the five points this morning was that, if he's open, shoot the basketball. Because he hadn't shot a lot of open shots. Everybody had confidence in his shot. He can really shoot the basketball, so he was more aggressive today. That's what we need."

Herrmann was really good, but he wasn't the only Piston who was impressive.

*Amir Johnson -- The guy is making a very, very strong case to be in that starting lineup. He made a bunch of hustle plays at both ends of the floor tonight, including an impressive block of an Alex Acker shot.

*Walter Sharpe -- Looks really smooth on offense; made a couple of nice jumpers tonight.

*Rodney Stuckey -- Everyone knows about his ability to bulldoze his way into the lane for lay-ups. But he showed a nice, pull-up jumper in transition, the kind of shot that players are probably going to give him this season.

And then there was Rasheed Wallace. We're in the preseason, but he was in midseason form the way he went after the referees. I asked him about that after the game.

"It was two rookie refs out there, so I had to give them a little bit of flak," Wallace said. "Just so they can get used to it."
    Find a new slant.

Neither of those surprise me all that much. Johnson is known for his hustle, and that's how Herrmann played when he was with the Bobcats. For some reason, probably lack of playing time, he never got in that groove with us.
    _

Detnews.com reporting that Amir is our starting PF

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...426/1127/rss13

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

Blog Entries
    Pistons' Bynum making his point on defense
    by A. Sherrod Blakely
    Monday October 13, 2008, 12:15 AM

AUBURN HILLS -- After Milwaukee point guard Luke Ridnour had the ball stolen by Will Bynum in the fourth quarter Saturday, Ridnour was taken out of the game. Moments later, Bynum's defense forced another Bucks turnover, and that player soon found himself back on the sidelines as well.

"Way to take another one out, Will!" Rasheed Wallace yelled from the Pistons bench.

Although Bynum is Detroit's third point guard, his game-changing ability on the defensive end could become useful for the Pistons this season.

It is a role similar to the one played by former Piston Lindsey Hunter.

Detroit coach Michael Curry acknowledged that the comparisons between the two defensively are legit.

"He can be a guy that can defend like Lindsey Hunter -- that's really good on the ball, pressuring the ball," said Curry, who played with Hunter in Detroit. "He's sort of a younger version of Lindsey."

Bynum has heard the comparisons to Hunter since arriving in training camp. But his familiarity with Hunter goes back further.

"I know a lot about Lindsey," Bynum said. "I'm a student of the game. Lindsey's one of the best on-the-ball defenders to ever play the game. Early in my career, I watched a lot of film on him and Joe D. (Dumars) When I first got here, I showed Joe D. a defensive clip I had of him ever since I was in college, like defensive clips of him guarding (Michael) Jordan and (Clyde) Drexler and Magic (Johnson). He was surprised I had that."

Although Bynum is known as an explosive scorer, he recognizes he has a better chance of making an impact in the NBA defensively.

"That's something that not a lot of guys in the NBA at my position are really stressing, so that'll help me stand out," he said. "Plus, that's what they brought me here to do."

Bynum was one of the first players Curry reached out to shortly after he became the Pistons' coach.

The two got to know each other when Bynum played in the Development League and Curry was the league's vice president of player development.

"One of the things I kept talking to him about whenever I came into his city to watch him play, I would talk to him about defense," Curry said.

And those talks have helped transform Bynum's mentality from that of a big-time scorer into a game-changing defender.

"I'll take chances out there defensively because I know M.C. (Curry) has my back," Bynum said. "It's a good feeling to have."
    Billups update
    Although it was a slightly strained right ankle that sidelined Chauncey Billups for most of the second half of Saturday's 111-99 win at Milwaukee, the 6-foot-3 point guard also was bothered by a sore right elbow.

"It was killing me when I woke up (Saturday) morning," Billups said. He is questionable for Tuesday's game against San Antonio.

The Pistons had Sunday off and were to return to practice Monday morning.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Injury updates
    Walter Herrmann (sore ribs) and Walter Sharpe (sore left knee) practiced Sunday. Both are expected to be available to play against Cleveland on Wednesday.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Kwame is doubtful for tonight and Samb is expected to play some.

Got OGT?
    Find a new slant.

ISN'T TRAINING CAMP OVER?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    ISWYDT, but I've always considered training camp = preseason.

amiwrong?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    It's not over. It will never be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    ISWYDT, but I've always considered training camp = preseason.

amiwrong?
    I Say What You Don't Think......?

+ Reply to Thread