+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LLTP: Taken for granted, Pistons will soon open eyes nationally

Blog Entries

LLTP: Taken for granted, Pistons will soon open eyes nationally

Another great hype piec..er, insightful and well-researched article.

Parallel Paths
    Taken for granted, Pistons will soon open eyes nationally

by Keith Langlois
    Monday, September 24, 2007

I got hooked on Green Bay Packers football during the Lombardi heyday and actually held season tickets for five years after I got out of college and was working a few hours away from Lambeau Field. When you get into this business, you check your loyalties at the door. But I’m always curious to see what the Packers are up to, and today they’re about the biggest surprise team in the NFL with a 3-0 record, all wins coming against 2006 playoff teams.

I didn’t expect much from them this year, even knowing they’d won their last four games last season to break even at 8-8. But a story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on the day of this year’s opener by Bob McGinn – the best beat writer in America, no matter the sport, by a safe margin – suggested the Packers were much better than the national media suspected. The Packers, McGinn predicted, would finish 10-6 and nose out the ballyhooed Bears to win the NFC North.

I’m thinking the national media – or a good chunk of it, at least – is similarly missing the story on the Pistons.

I don’t blame them. The enduring image of the Pistons is getting run out of the building in Cleveland in Game 6 to cap a bewildering turnaround that saw the Cavs come back to win four straight games after losing the first two of the conference finals. The Pistons looked sluggish and confused for most of those four games, the staples of their success rendered curiously ineffective by the Cavs, whose own deep flaws were revealed by San Antonio during the Finals sweep.

The Pistons did nothing dramatic on the surface over the summer to shake that image, either. As far as the rest of America knows, the same old cast – Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rasheed Wallace – is coming back, another year older, to attempt to chase down what it hasn’t been able to catch three years running.

A lot of noise was made in the Eastern Conference this off-season with five 20-point scorers – Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Zach Randolph, Jason Richardson and Rashard Lewis – imported from the Western Conference. None of them came to Detroit. In a draft where Greg Oden and Kevin Durant stole 98 percent of the headlines, the Pistons picked outside the lottery and wound up taking a player who somehow managed to avoid even ESPN’s cameras during his two years at Eastern Washington. Their only free-agent signing, other than to retain their own players, netted them a player the Washington Wizards chose to let walk.

So it’s no more surprising that Cleveland, Chicago and even Boston are getting more play nationally than the Pistons than it is that the NFC North was seen as Chicago and three 6-10 teams, Green Bay lumped in with Detroit and Minnesota.

McGinn cautioned that sometimes reporters who study one team intensely are prone to overestimating what they see, having nothing but other editions of that team for perspective. I’ll give myself the same out.

My hunch that the Pistons are going to be a more formidable team by year’s end is based on the belief that Rodney Stuckey, Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiell, Jarvis Hayes and even Arron Afflalo are going to alter the mix significantly, giving the Pistons a considerably different look that will prove a tough adjustment for opponents who know exactly what they’ll get from the mainstays. I’m banking on a team that by the time the postseason arrives will be getting far more explosive and consistent production from its bench than recent Pistons teams.

In hanging around the practice facility over the last few weeks, I get the sense that at every level of the organization – from Joe Dumars and his executive staff to Flip Saunders and his coaches to the holdover veterans right down to the young players expected to alter the chemistry – the Pistons are going into this season with a sense of excitement that’s been missing for the last few. That’s not to suggest they weren’t hungry or confident last year or the year before, only to underscore the value of change – not solely for change’s sake, but adding players talented enough to push for playing time.

Rather than feel uncomfortably challenged by that prospect, the veterans have embraced it for the help it promises them. Everything I’m hearing, it’s invigorated them – Rasheed Wallace dropping 25 pounds is a pretty good signpost – and they’ve reached out to the young players to let them know how valuable and appreciated their contributions would be.

So that’s why I’m drawing parallels between the disregarded Packers and the taken-for-granted Pistons.

Then again, I could be wrong. That is, after all, why they play the games.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quite the masturbing article, there...

Anyone know why Pistons.com might look really oddly formatted on my computer? Could my Java or something need updating? I can't figure it out.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Why wouldnt you update java of all things? Fuck Im a geek haha. Site looks fine to me.

This article reads nice. Jerk off like Mxy said but if it is even 50% true it's gonna be a great season.

Our rebounding situation still disturbs me. Beyond McDyess ,we don't really have any semblance of stud rebounding (and I doubt Sheed losing 25 lbs. helps in that regard). I really hope that Amir can rebound the ball and play 15-20 minutes per game.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Our rebounding situation still disturbs me. Beyond McDyess ,we don't really have any semblance of stud rebounding (and I doubt Sheed losing 25 lbs. helps in that regard). I really hope that Amir can rebound the ball and play 15-20 minutes per game.
    Max can rebound and jump and chew off a finger or two on the way to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Swami
    Max can rebound and jump and chew off a finger or two on the way to the board.
    He rebounds like a small forward. If he could actually play at small forward, fine. But they seem to insist on not doing that, even against bigger SFs. <sigh>

He doesn't have the quickness to guard small forwards. He's plenty quick for a PF, but just not quite there for SF.

Not unless the SF's are the Kukoc or Van Horns of the world.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread