+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is your neighborhood really safe?

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Question Is your neighborhood really safe?

http://www.familywatchdog.us

Fill that out and find out if your neighborhood is really quiet and safe from sexual predators of women and children.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I've seen this before, Gutz.
    It gets to the point where you begin to ponder locking your children up in a closet and throwing them some food every couple of days.
    People need to be aware, but we can't walk around in life wondering who's hiding behind every tree or under every rock.
    Some of the terminology can be a bit misleading: Get drunk in a bar, grope a tit, get arrested:Sexual Predator.
    Get drunk (or not), say you're 17 or 18, boff a 15 or 16 year old: Sexual Predator.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    Make excuses for getting the "Sexual Predator" label: Sexual Predator.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Also see http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSOR_Search.aspx which isn't a for-profit site and gives much the same information for Michigan (though not with as pretty a map). Of course, both sites just list sex offenders, as if that were the big threat model, as opposed to murderers, violent burglaries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Also see http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSOR_Search.aspx which isn't a for-profit site and gives much the same information for Michigan (though not with as pretty a map). Of course, both sites just list sex offenders, as if that were the big threat model, as opposed to murderers, violent burglaries, etc.
    rob me if you must, kill who you gotta kill, but fucking the kids is a whole other ballpark.

the robbery and murder conviction thing may be pushing it too far. or maybe not. hard to say.
    ^

Blog Entries
    Yes, please do not fuck the kids.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    I've seen this before, Gutz.
    It gets to the point where you begin to ponder locking your children up in a closet and throwing them some food every couple of days.
    People need to be aware, but we can't walk around in life wondering who's hiding behind every tree or under every rock.
    Some of the terminology can be a bit misleading: Get drunk in a bar, grope a tit, get arrested:Sexual Predator.
    Get drunk (or not), say you're 17 or 18, boff a 15 or 16 year old: Sexual Predator.
    you didn't look at the site to make that not so great excuse.

the red dots are people who committed sexual acts against 13 and under. not many excuses go over for them. the people in the green may have just made a mistake at some point in their life. Either way the convistions are listed. 1st degree sexual assault is a tough one to make excuses for. 3rd degree or 2nd maybe. Any degree of sexual assault to a minor at 13 and under wont get much sympathy from me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Yes, please do not fuck the kids.
    indeed.
    ^

Well hey, I'm all about locking those who prey after children up forever. I don't really think that condition is "curable", plus the kids are screwed up for good.
    In terms of the "watchdog" stuff, our newspaper out here runs the names and addresses of sexual "predators" when they settle in at any particular residence. And yes, quite a few were in trouble for crimes that I mentioned.
    I'm one of those guys who ponders the old "slippery slope" of where to draw the line, whether or not we have prisons to "rehabilitate" people, and whether or not a guy (or girl) does the time and should be able to get on with a life.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu
    rob me if you must, kill who you gotta kill, but fucking the kids is a whole other ballpark.

the robbery and murder conviction thing may be pushing it too far. or maybe not. hard to say.
    Sex offenses typically have more to do with social proximity than physical proximity. Sure, the physical proximity has a bearing on the social proximity, but the two aren't the same. The putrid sex offender may live down the street, but if they work at a school hangout 10 miles away, and cavort in chat rooms with prey 10-100+ miles away, they'll target kids in the social network more than kids who happen to live nearby.

Of course, you don't want them even living nearby. Maybe some fuckhead molester ends up preying on neighborhood kids. It -can- happen, certainly, and it's all the rage in the news when it does. With the sad, ever-growing sexualization of youth, sex crime against youth overall is growing. But the neighborhood offenses are very far from what's typically going on with sex offenders (with most types of assault, for that matter). ~90% of the time, it's either family or some close relation.

Also, sex crimes are about an order of magnitude less common than most other violent crimes, some of which -are- more strongly tied to geography (I'm sure an insurance beanie could say more here). And, sex offenders are much less likely to recommit -any- crime (~40%) than non-sex offenders (~70%). Of course, when they do recommit a crime, it's more likely to be a sex crime, but the nature of the criminal recidivism is very different.

Why I bring all this up is to illustrate just how different sex offender crimes are than other violent crimes. This is why maps showing neighborhood sex offenders don't have mucht to do with overall neighborhood violence, or the specific likelihood of kids getting hit by a random nearby sex offender. And that's my entire point.

Moxie:
    Is there any possible way you'd agree to a "brain switch" with me?
    I know this guy who could do it. They made a documentary about it, it came out in the early seventies. They had to have Gene Wilder portray this guy in the documentary because he's somewhat reclusive.
    Speaking of that documentary, was Terri Garr back then not one of the hottest babes ever?

+ Reply to Thread