+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: LLTP: Ten options to ponder for Pistons makeover

Blog Entries

LLTP: Ten options to ponder for Pistons makeover

COMPLETE WITH ALLITERATION AND PUNNY HEADINGS

Ten options to ponder for Pistons makeover

Last June, in Joe Dumars’ annual State of the Pistons address, he dropped his “You damn right I will” bombshell when somebody asked if he was going to explore the possibility of making significant changes to his roster.

Seeing as how this year’s address is coming in April – he’s giving it Wednesday, two rounds sooner than he’s done it in seven years – it’s safe to assume he’ll be even less inclined to stay wedded to the current roster.

That’s when we’ll get the first clues to what promises to be the most tumultuous off-season since Joe D’s first with the Pistons, when less than a month after assuming the presidency on June 6, 2000, Grant Hill bolted Detroit and set in motion the complete overhaul of the roster.

So until he drops some bread crumbs, if not another bombshell, here are 10 things that appear to bear monitoring from now until the June 25 draft – when the Pistons’ cap space could facilitate draft-day trades – and the July 1 opening of free agency.

1. Will Carlos Boozer opt out? – He told a reporter months ago that it was his intention to hit the free-agent market this summer, voiding his $12.7 million 2009-10 option year. But then he played sluggishly for the final month of the season upon returning from minor knee surgery, casting doubt on his decision.

That doubt dissipated when Boozer averaged 23.3 points and 14.3 rebounds through the first four games of Utah’s first-round series with the Lakers, including a 23-point, 22-rebound game. But Boozer was a non-factor as the Jazz were eliminated in Game 5, playing 30 minutes and taking only eight shots.

Smart money says Boozer opts out. And what he represents – a 27-year-old power forward who in the two seasons before this one averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds – matches the Pistons’ needs ideally.

If Boozer decides not to opt out, then his teammate, Paul Millsap, a restricted free agent who averaged 13.5 and 8.6 in 30 minutes a game – but more like 17 and 10 while Boozer was out – becomes an option.
    2. What does Toronto do? – The Raptors had a crushingly disappointing season after trading for Jermaine O’Neal last summer and believing they were in position to make a run in the Eastern Conference.

Nobody wore that disappointment more clearly than Chris Bosh, who began the season playing at an MVP level but grew visibly frustrated as the Raptors quickly sunk into lottery status and a nasty custody battle with his estranged fiancée went public.

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo has given mixed signals about what he intends to do on Bosh, who can opt out of his contract following the 2009-10 season. Losing Bosh for nothing would be devastating. Trading him this summer seems more prudent, but the Raptors can’t expect full value in return given his pending free agency.

The competition still would be fierce for a 6-foot-10, 25-year-old, but the Pistons could make a competitive offer. It would probably have to start with Tayshaun Prince, who would address a critical need for Toronto at small forward. It would also have to include a young big man, most likely Jason Maxiell.

The risk for the Pistons would be significant, because Bosh still would be able to opt out after next season. They made a similar gamble on another uniquely talented big man in February 2004 when Joe D swung the trade for Rasheed Wallace. But the most valuable assets surrendered in that deal were two lower-level first-round picks, not two valuable rotation pieces.
    3. What about Ben Gordon? – He’s showing in the Boston series how lethally explosive he can be. What has that done for his market value when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in July?

Gordon turned down a contract extension that averaged $10 million a season two summers ago. If that’s what he’s seeking and somebody else comes up with it, then the Pistons wouldn’t be likely to stay in the running. But if Gordon could be had for, say, $40 million over five years – and with few teams having cap space and some of them not inclined to spend it in this economy, it’s not out of the question – then it’s possible.

How might he fit into a roster that also includes another UConn shooting guard, Rip Hamilton? Would signing Gordon necessitate another trade? Perhaps. Hamilton is the better all-around player, but he’s also five years older at 31.

4. How desperate is New Orleans?
    – The Hornets showed their cards in February when they agreed to a deal that shipped their 28-year-old, 7-foot-1 center, Tyson Chandler, to Oklahoma City for the expiring contracts of Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith.

The deal was rescinded on medical grounds, but nobody expects Chandler to be back in New Orleans next season. The Hornets are playing in an economically depressed area and are deep into luxury tax territory as presently constituted. Chandler has two years and $25 million left on his contract – considerable, but not exorbitant.

Whatever the desperation level was in New Orleans at the February trade deadline, it figures to be ratcheted up a few degrees since then. The Hornets plummeted to No. 7 in playoff seeding and are on the verge of elimination after their humiliating 58-point home loss to Denver on Monday night. It could be they’ll be looking to dump more than Chandler’s contract.
    5. Bargains in Beer Town? – Another team expected to be holding a fire sale is Milwaukee, which has huge money tied up in Michael Redd (two years, $35 million), Andrew Bogut (five years, $60 million) and Richard Jefferson (two years, $29 million).

If the Bucks can’t find a taker for at least one of Redd or Jefferson, they’ll be very hard-pressed to retain both of their restricted free agents, Ramon Sessions or Charlie Villanueva.

Villanueva, at 25 and 6-foot-11, took some nice steps in his fourth NBA season, finishing with career bests of 16.2 points and 6.7 rebounds a game and showing increased shooting range to go with a nice scoring touch around the rim.
    6. Possibilities in Phoenix? – The Suns are behind the curve in going about the business of blowing up their roster and starting over. With Steve Nash at 35, Grant Hill at 36 and Shaquille O’Neal at 37, the Suns finished out of the playoffs this season and their prospects for next are bleak if they come back with the same team.

They have two building blocks in the prime of their careers in Jason Richardson (28) and Amare Stoudemire (26). They shopped Stoudemire aggressively in the days leading up to the trade deadline last February, then got cold feet and pulled him off the market.

It was curious that with so many aging players, they tried moving the youngest among their core pieces. But if they were thinking about it then, failing to qualify for the playoffs might embolden them to attempt a radical makeover. Stoudemire’s appeal could bring back enough assets to hasten Phoenix’s past-due rebuilding effort.
    7. Crossroads in Atlanta? – The Hawks grudgingly signed Josh Smith when he came back to them with Memphis’ offer sheet last summer. This summer, they’ll face a similar decision on talented young forward Marvin Williams, not to mention unrestricted free agents Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia.

Williams could be of interest to the Pistons, especially if they use Prince as the bait in a trade for a young big man.

Smith might also be made available. Atlanta’s ownership instability and precarious bottom line, not to mention Smith’s volatile relationship with coach Mike Woodson, has some around the league thinking it wouldn’t take much to pry Smith away.
    8. Wither Washington? – The Wizards could have to plunk down $4 million or so for the high lottery pick they figure to get and that would take them even deeper into luxury-tax territory as they’re already committed to about $75 million in existing contracts. The tax line was $71.15 million this season and if it moves anywhere for next season, it’s down.

Owner Abe Pollin has said he’s OK with paying the tax, but we’ll see when push comes to shove. The player easiest for Washington to move would be Caron Butler, who has two years and about $21 million remaining on his deal.

But if the Wizards luck out and wind up with the No. 1 pick and Blake Griffin, it would make sense for them to take whatever they could get for Antawn Jamison, who has three years and $40 million remaining on his contract. As a team under the cap, the Pistons could take Jamison in a deal as one-sided as Denver shipping Marcus Camby to the Clippers last summer for nothing except the swap of future second-round picks.
    9. New York State of Mind? – With Cleveland posting a 66-win regular season and emerging as the odds-on favorite to come out of the East, talk that LeBron James is headed to Broadway has cooled.

Donnie Walsh hasn’t tipped his hand as to what his plans are, despite rampant speculation the Knicks are marshalling their resources to be the dominant player in free agency 2010. If the plan is to sign James and one other premier free agent from a class that could also include Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Yao Ming, Richard Jefferson, Amare Stoudemire and Manu Ginobili, then it will be tricky for Walsh to retain David Lee and Nate Robinson.

Robinson probably doesn’t interest the Pistons, who have their own version of him in Will Bynum. But Lee? He had more double-doubles than anyone in the NBA this season and continues to improve as a scorer. It’s unlikely the Pistons would go high enough in the bidding to scare off the Knicks – especially given the risky nature of bidding on restricted free agents – but if some of the other frontcourt possibilities fall through, Lee could be in play.
    10. Option in Orlando? – Only if the Pistons package Tayshaun Prince in trade would they figure to be interested in Hedo Turkoglu, but he’d be an intriguing choice at small forward if that’s the route Joe D goes.

Not only is Turkoglu highly effective and experienced at playing the point-forward role – the Magic frequently put the ball in his hands as a playmaker in late-game situations – but his 3-point shooting ability would bring a desperately needed element to the Pistons.

Turkoglu has said he plans to opt out for the long-term security of signing a multiyear deal and probably isn’t looking for a huge bump over the $7.3 million he would have coming to him in 2009-10 if he didn’t opt out.

Orlando would love to keep him and Turkoglu’s preference is to stay put, but the Magic have cap issues. Improved young big man Marcin Gortat has plenty of options to return to Europe unless the Magic offer him a significant raise over the $700,000 he made this season. Orlando could decide that it can get by with Mickael Pietrus and veteran minimum help at that spot.
    Find a new slant.

The number 1oa is whether Curry will be back.

I don't want Hedo, even if we trade Tay. I'd rather take a chance on a younger guy with some potential that hasn't fully peaked. We don't need to get someone on a big contract that's old already.
    _

Hedo is a great ball handler at the 3 spot and can knock down 3's as well. A very good complement to Stuckey and RIP. There are only two issues...not much defense and what would the price be?

I would go after him for the right price if we moved Tay and Amir/Max for a better big.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I just feel like he's going to command a very hefty price, otherwise I'd have no problem with grabbing him and drafting a backup that could develop into something special. I do agree that he'd be great alongside Rip and Stuckey. Someone for Stuckey to kick it out to after driving, and then you have someone else that can do something with the ball since Rip doesn't really excell in that role (understatement)
    _

none of this matters anymore with Curry coming back

It all sounds nice though

i'd package whatever it took to get butler and their lotto from the wizards. then draft rubio and start the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    I just feel like he's going to command a very hefty price, otherwise I'd have no problem with grabbing him and drafting a backup that could develop into something special. I do agree that he'd be great alongside Rip and Stuckey. Someone for Stuckey to kick it out to after driving, and then you have someone else that can do something with the ball since Rip doesn't really excell in that role (understatement)
    hard to say. He'll want money, but will he get it? Orlando won't pay him a ton (they are saddled with Lewis already). Who else has money to spend? I could see Toronto overpaying for him (letting Marion and Parker walk). Other than that I don't see anybody paying him a lot.

It all depends on the price. First step is to get a big though.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior
    i'd package whatever it took to get butler and their lotto from the wizards. then draft rubio and start the rebuild.
    Who are your big men in that situation?
    _

who are our big men in the current situation?

i'd take a long look at the blair kid from pitt with our #15. undersized, yes. but he can play.

don't forget we still would have cap room to pursue someone like boozer, if we so choose. obviously we're not as attractive a destination nowadays, but where there's money to be had, nba players will follow. trust me!

not saying we can rebuild in one year and fill all our needs. and no matter what you do, it is damn hard to find good big men. another kid i'd look at with #15 is james johnson from wake. he isn't more than 6-8 or so but he's a danny granger type. he can play bigger forwards but is versatile enough to score from all over. the nba is going to smaller lineups so i wouldn't let a good big man slide by because he's 'just' 6-8 and not 6-10 at PF. he is long, tough, powerful and can just flat out PLAY. i'd rather that than a 6-10 stiff.

so if we acquire the best players out there possible, almost without regard to position....we'll slowly build our talent base and start climbing back up the mountain again. there are other big men out there worth a look too though but clearly no dwight howards are going to fall into our lap.

my 2 cents.....

+ Reply to Thread