+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheff returns to NY, 4 game series with the Yankees (8/16-8/19/07), Maybin debuts

Sheff returns to NY, 4 game series with the Yankees (8/16-8/19/07), Maybin debuts

Despite being outspoken and critical of Yankees manager Joe Torre and former teammate Derek Jeter, Sheffield isn't fearing a negative reaction when he returns to New York later this week. "I know what kind of appreciation I get," said Sheffield, who spent three seasons with the Yankees before being traded. "Most people I bump into haven't forgotten what I've done. Sheff fans will be Sheff fans. That's how I look at it going in."
    I think sheffied lives in his own world (the baseball version of sheed). he'll be up against mussina, petitte, and clemens. i'm sure one of those will at least knock him down. I think a clemens-sheffield brawl could be one for the ages.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

if sheffield fights clemens it will be my first sport jersey purchase ever. ingratiatiate yourself shef! ingratiatiate yourself!

Blog Entries
    Unlike Rasheed though Sheffield can back it up.

That being said, the more he's booed the better. If he plays well, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Series at a Glance

Detroit at NY Yankees
    Thu, Aug 16 - 7:05 pm EDT
    J. Verlander vs. M. Mussina

Detroit at NY Yankees
    Fri, Aug 17 - 7:05 pm EDT
    N. Robertson vs. A. Pettitte

Detroit at NY Yankees
    Sat, Aug 18 - 3:55 pm EDT
    C. Durbin vs. R. Clemens

Detroit at NY Yankees
    Sun, Aug 19 - 1:05 pm EDT
    J. Bonderman vs. C. Wang
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Detroit (66-54) at NY Yankees (67-53)

By SANTOSH VENKATARAMAN, STATS Editor

Gary Sheffield is confident he'll get a warm reception in his return to Yankee Stadium, but it might just be wishful thinking.

Sheffield will face his former team on Thursday night when the Detroit Tigers meet the New York Yankees for the first time since last year's playoffs.

Detroit eliminated New York in four games in an AL division series last year. Those were the final games of Sheffield's three-year tenure with the Yankees, and it ended in a controversial manner that has typified the slugger's 20-year career.

He went 1-for-12 in the series and was benched in Game 3 in favor of Bernie Williams. Sheffield played in just 39 games for the Yankees in 2006 due to wrist problems.

The 38-year-old Sheffield didn't want to play first base, and became expendable once New York acquired outfielder Bobby Abreu last July. He was dealt to Detroit in November for three minor league right-handers.

It hasn't been a quiet departure. Sheffield claimed to HBO's Real Sports that manager Joe Torre treated white and black players differently, specifically how Tony Womack and Kenny Lofton were handled by Torre.

"I think it's a, a way of, the way they do things around there, you know," Sheffield said. "They run their ship differently."

Torre refused to address Sheffield's comments.

Sheffield's first season with New York in 2004 was his best. He batted .290 with 36 homers and a team-high 121 RBIs and finished second to the Angels' Vladimir Guerrero in AL MVP voting.

However, he struggled in the postseason, starting with New York's collapse in blowing a 3-0 series lead to Boston in the 2004 ALCS. Sheffield went 1-for-17 in the final four games of that series and was 8-for-50 (.160) in his last 12 postseason games for the Yankees.

Still, he doesn't expect a hostile crowd at Yankee Stadium as these clubs open a four-game set.

"I know what kind of appreciation I get," said Sheffield, who leads Detroit with 24 homers but has only one in his last 19 games. "Most people I bump into haven't forgotten what I've done. Sheff fans will be Sheff fans. That's how I look at it going in."

Sheffield wasn't the only Yankee to fare poorly in the Detroit series. Alex Rodriguez continued his postseason struggles, going 1-for-14 to drop to 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 playoff games.

For most of the season, Detroit (66-54) seemed more likely to return to the playoffs than New York. The Yankees (67-53), however, are a major league-best 24-10 since the All-Star break and trail Seattle by one percentage point for the wild card.

"They are swinging the bats well and have made up a lot of ground the last couple weeks," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said.

The Yankees, who lost two of three to Baltimore to begin this seven-game homestand, aren't worried about gaining revenge.

"October has nothing to do with it," Torre told the Yankees' official Web site. "I'll take my chances in October against anybody, but there's no trying to get even here. Even if we win all four games, it's not as good as winning last October."

Rodriguez went 4-for-4 in a 6-3 loss in 10 innings to the Orioles on Wednesday. Closer Mariano Rivera gave up three runs in the top of the 10th, two days after blowing a save in a 7-6 victory.

The Tigers are tied with Cleveland for the AL Central lead after settling for a split of a two-game series with the Indians with a 5-2 loss on Wednesday.

Detroit is far from healthy entering Yankee Stadium. A flu bug has been going around the team, and it kept starters Ivan Rodriguez, Placido Polanco and Craig Monroe out of Wednesday's game.

Justin Verlander (12-4, 3.58 ERA), who also has been sick, was Detroit's starter in Game 2 of last year's series against New York, allowing three runs over 5 1-3 innings and not receiving a decision in a 4-3 victory. He also did not get a decision in his lone regular-season start against the Yankees, giving up six runs over five innings in a 7-6 loss on June 1, 2006.

The right-hander won for the first time since July 15 on Saturday against Oakland by allowing two runs over six innings of a 5-2 victory.

Mike Mussina (8-7, 4.50) opposed Verlander in Game 2 and took the loss, allowing four runs over seven innings. The veteran right-hander, however, is 17-5 with a 2.50 ERA in 29 career regular-season starts against the Tigers, but just 2-2 with a 3.25 ERA in five outings since joining the Yankees in 2001.

Mussina seeks to win his fifth straight start for New York. He has a 2.84 ERA during his four-start win streak after giving up two runs over 7 2-3 innings in an 11-2 victory at Cleveland on Saturday.
    Find a new slant.

I wish the Yankees would cease to exist. I turn the channel if they come on for a game or highlights. This is will be my least favorite series of the year. I'd rather watch Detroit vs.....Houston. Houston still has a team, right?

I'll be watching with a bottle of pepto dismal.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Tahoe, if this is your least favorite series of the year then you might as well just not watch the Tigers over the next week and a half or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    I wish the Yankees would cease to exist. I turn the channel if they come on for a game or highlights. This is will be my least favorite series of the year. I'd rather watch Detroit vs.....Houston. Houston still has a team, right?

I'll be watching with a bottle of pepto dismal.
    Hating the yankees just made last year's ALDS that much greater.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Blog Entries
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/sp...S1aI2TH85hRsfQ

Outspoken, Sheffield Isn’t Always Unfiltered

By JACK CURRY

Gary Sheffield looked relaxed and in his environment. He wore a Detroit Tigers T-shirt, he crossed his arms and stood in front of his locker in Cleveland like a preacher by his pulpit. The words kept flowing, more opinions, more statements, more Sheffield.

There is always something unpredictable poised to slip out of Sheffield’s mouth. All it takes is one question to ignite him, one topic to incite him, one issue to infuriate him. With Sheffield, there is rarely an edit button.

Sheffield reiterated Tuesday that he felt that Yankees Manager Joe Torre treated black players differently than white players during his three seasons in New York. That is an accusation that Torre had never heard during 27 seasons as a manager.

Sheffield, who returns to Yankee Stadium with the Tigers tonight, sounded ready to keep repeating it.

“Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying,” Sheffield said. “I’m always going to be that way.”

If Sheffield felt this way about Torre, it is notable that he never mentioned it while he was with the Yankees. Sheffield said he muzzled himself because he felt “he was walking on thin ice from Day 1.” He said that slippery surface existed because George Steinbrenner, the principal owner, not Torre or General Manager Brian Cashman, orchestrated his signing.

Still, if Sheffield has such strong feelings about how Torre treated him, it would seem the type of material that he would have included in his recent book. Sheffield criticized Torre for singling him out in team meetings in “Inside Power,” but there is nothing in its 233 pages about Torre favoring white players over black players. Why not?

“Because that ain’t what my book was about,” Sheffield said. “My book was about other things.”

Torre has declined to comment since Sheffield first made his allegations on HBO’s “Real Sports” last month. He took that same stance yesterday at Yankee Stadium.

“I’m not going to respond because I don’t want to defend myself against something that’s not necessary,” Torre said.

Sheffield said he did not consider Torre a racist, nor is he one. He said anyone who called a black person a racist was making “probably the most ignorant statement” ever.

“Most black people are not racist,” Sheffield said. “We got a lot to be mad about. We got a lot to say and so forth. We just don’t.”

But Sheffield acknowledged that he does say a lot. Sheffield said that the “real Sheffield fans” would probably salute him at the stadium. Those fans will remember how Sheffield averaged 35 home runs and 122 runs batted in for his first two seasons in New York. He said if some fans berated him during the four-game series, it would be “irrelevant.”

Sheffield is happy with the Tigers, adores Manager Jim Leyland and has thrived as a designated hitter. Sean Casey, the Tigers’ first baseman, called Sheffield one of the best players in the game and said he was amazed when the Yankees sent him to the Tigers for three young pitchers.

The Yankees play Sheffield and Detroit eight times in the next 11 days, a stretch with postseason implications for both teams.

“Honestly, Shef’s been in the news a couple of times for some comments,” Casey said. “But, for the most part, he’s pretty quiet. It’s amazing. He keeps to himself. He shows up and plays hard every day.”

Sheffield is hitting .284 with 24 homers and 71 R.B.I. and is such a tough out that Leyland credited him with having a huge impact on the superb season Magglio Ordóñez is having in the cleanup spot. Ordóñez is batting .359 with 22 homers and 108 R.B.I.

Despite Sheffield’s soft landing, he still resents the Yankees. Sheffield was probably the most feared Yankees hitter until an injury-shortened 2006, but he apparently felt unappreciated. He is angry about having to fight Steinbrenner to collect interest on the deferred money in his three-year, $39 million contract.

“People, when they talked about my contract, they talked about greedy?” he said. “Well, if you look at my contract, I accommodated them more than any player ever in history ever accommodated anybody. So, for people to jump on the bandwagon and say I was greedy, it’s the most mind-boggling thing ever.”

Saying he is “cut from a different cloth,” Sheffield does not regret the controversial comments he has made this season.

Among those comments was Sheffield’s remark that there were more Latino players than black players in baseball because they were “easier to control.”

In addition, Sheffield was suspended for “aggressive actions” toward an umpire and called umpires corrupt. Sheffield told USA Today that Commissioner Bud Selig was a liar for saying he was unaware of steroid use in the past. After Sheffield was fined, he told Selig that he meant that he had suspicions about players who might have used steroids and figured others, like Selig, did, too.

“It was nothing personal or anything like that,” he said.

With Torre, it is personal.

When Sheffield was asked if he would shake Torre’s hand if he saw him today, he said, “I don’t think I ever shook his hand when I was there.”

Then Sheffield said, “Ask him that question.”

When Torre was asked, he said, “Probably not.”

By the time Sheffield retires, he will undoubtedly hit the 21 more home runs he needs to reach 500. Sheffield has won a batting title and also has a World Series ring. But Sheffield, forever talking and trying to leave an imprint, said he wanted to be remembered as a player “who didn’t fall for anything.”

What does that mean?

“I stood for something,” said Sheffield, who then turned silent, letting those words complete his story.

For now, that is.
    Find a new slant.

I'll fight my way through it Timbeau. Can't NOT watch the Tigs.

It was sweet as hell Xanny. Those highlights, I watched. ESPN makes a hangnail on the bat boy BREAKING NEWS!

Thats pretty funny Glenn. "I never shook his hand when I was here"
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread