+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Wings Arena

Blog Entries
    Sounds like Illitch is trying to create some sort of "campus" in the area by the Fox.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    So if it's Ilitch that has been buying the building, why exactly do those same buildings impede redevelopment? Why doesn't Ilitch wipe out the buildings and go from there? Surely there is something else, even if it's parking structures, thar he can do with some of the space. Clear enough for an arena and a handful of parking structures/secure lots that are very close to the existing arenas and stadiums. Then, use the others as development opportunities for trendy restaurant chains and merchandisers. There is no local shopping near the Comerica/Ford Field/Hockeytown/Fox area. Even if you just duplicate an area like Great Lakes Crossing it would be much improved.
    In other plans, the next biggest need is a large scale homeless shelter.
    There is probably one historic building in the middle of all his holdings or something.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

So I was thinking about this yesterday. I was thinking how many homeless people I see downtown. I was thinking, "What if Olympia made a deal with the city that freed up land for their campus and in return they funded a building a mile or so down the road on Woodward that was a massive shelter facility."
    I don't know how legislation would impact this idea - and it's off-topic admittedly - but I think they could build a huge, attractive building to care for the homeless, and at the same time help the homeless care for themselves.
    So you build a building that has a main floor that's 100,000 square feet. You make the building about 6 stories tall. The main floor has beds and a huge cafeteria (soup kitchen). There are also administrative offices, lockers, what not. The second floor is also filled with beds and about 15 offices. The remaining 4 floors are rooms with 4 beds and a bathroom.
    The place employs homeless people to clean the facility, care for the landscape, cook in the cafeteria, do general maintenance as able, etc. It pays minimum wage for this and charges $10 per person per night to stay in the rooms with the bathroom. A laundry facility is provided at a small cost as well. Offices will be used by people from MIWorks, pro bono attorneys, social workers, and other people that can come in and meet with people that have cleaned themselves up, gotten healthy, and want to do something more for themselves and their family so they can move on.
    There is a 30 day limit on how long people can stay in the rooms. They must be gone at least 2 weeks before they can come back for another 30 days. This cycle can repreat itself 3 times before the family is on it's own again unless it is able to show evidence that they're laying a foundation to move on.
    By cleaning up the area with a very attractive building and employing people to take care of the building and recouping some money for letting people stay there, on paper it seems like something that could take a big step in cleaning up the area. By getting those people cleaned up and off the streets, as well as giving many a source of income, as well as adding the other buildings, you make the area far more attractive to retail businesses who can come in and make it a solid economic center.

And in the meantime, the are has been provided with ample safe parking at reasonable rates without having to walk a mile. The Palace is the best example of good parking we have. The Silverdome had some, better than Ford Field and Comerica anyhow. But it certainly creates the sports district and any sports themed superstore would be insane to stay away.

Meanwhile, by all means plow the Joe and make a riverfront park with statues honoring Joe as well as other sports great to play in Detroit.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread