+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Harbaugh have an axe to grind?

Seems to me that since a former player and a former high ranking administrator feel compelled to make statements concerning UM`s alleged high academic standards, there must be some issue taken with it.
    Also,regarding this statement;

"I don't think anyone here has went off on a tangent stating that academic standards are really non-existent if the player is good enough."
    -JickBoy34

I give you;

"By the way, I have no interest in be3ing arrogant about standards. I actually wish they had lower standards. I would have loved it if UM was an option for Charles Rogers."
    -Jethro34

So, I believe there is a perception amongst many of the UM fans that UM operates at a higher level than other schools. Again, completely false.

Yes, I am talking about it. I can accept when State beats UM in a recruiting battle, as they did that season with Eric Knott. They had Smoker as a highly ranked commit as well. But I've long been told there's evidence that UM stopped recruiting Rogers because he wouldn't qualify for UM. If I'm wrong, fine, but show me the evidence.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Some kids who can get into UM cannot get into OSU and same with ND.

Every program is different but the same.

Every program take risk kids even Stanford.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

This is a completely bogus arguement. How are we supposed to know what is going on behind the scenes and how well 17 year old kids are performing in the classroom and on standardized tests? We have no freaking clue how these kids are performing and if any rules are bent to admit them.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

right, but way way way beyond that, its completely assinine to find some sort of parrallel between uofm/detroit and mansion/slave quarters.

sorry to stay on that, but that really pissed me off. these kids are given an unbelievable opportunity. they get a full ride to a great school. they get preferential treatment in every way imaginable thats legal such as first pick on all classes, tuitors, support networks, free food at the union, room, board, tuition etc, etc. no one prevents them for striving for the tougher majors, its just that its a fact that alot of the football players come from backgrounds that dont really prepare them for the curriculum.

but theres no reason why anyone shouldnt be able to graduate, though. its a university's job to open as many doors for you as possible. i've never heard it said that the school is supposed to find you its first job also (btw, the university has excellent student services that help you find a job if you take advantage of the offer. its available to all students, not just athletes.)

im not going to speculate on michigan relative to other schools, though last time i checked the michigan football team was graduating at a rate far higher than the national avg for football players or under grads in general.

in short, this is one of those "are you kidding me?!?" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    right, but way way way beyond that, its completely assinine to find some sort of parrallel between uofm/detroit and mansion/slave quarters.

sorry to stay on that, but that really pissed me off. these kids are given an unbelievable opportunity. they get a full ride to a great school. they get preferential treatment in every way imaginable thats legal such as first pick on all classes, tuitors, support networks, free food at the union, room, board, tuition etc, etc. no one prevents them for striving for the tougher majors, its just that its a fact that alot of the football players come from backgrounds that dont really prepare them for the curriculum.

but theres no reason why anyone shouldnt be able to graduate, though. its a university's job to open as many doors for you as possible. i've never heard it said that the school is supposed to find you its first job also (btw, the university has excellent student services that help you find a job if you take advantage of the offer. its available to all students, not just athletes.)

im not going to speculate on michigan relative to other schools, though last time i checked the michigan football team was graduating at a rate far higher than the national avg for football players or under grads in general.

in short, this is one of those "are you kidding me?!?" threads.

Doesn`t look that great to me. The first column is black players. The second column is white players.

Top 25 Black Football White Football
    Players Graduation % Players Graduation %

1 UNIV. OF S. CAL. 61% 60%
    2 LOUISIANA STATE U. 34% 56%
    3 UNIV. OF OKLA. 28% 41%
    4 UNIV. OF MICHIGAN 36% 58%
    5 UTEXAS-AUSTIN 33% 45%
    6 UTENN-KNOXVILLE 26% 78%
    7 OHIO STATE UNIV. 28% 58%
    8 KANSAS STATE UNIV. 52% 64%
    9 FLORIDA STATE UNIV. 43% 65%
    10 UNIV. OF MIAMI 47% 57%
    11 UNIV. OF GEORGIA 51% 86%
    12 PURDUE UNIV. 53% 63%
    13 UNIV. OF IOWA 45% 62%
    14 MIAMI UNIV. (OHIO) 25% 70%
    15 WASH. STATE UNIV. 47% 71%
    16 UNIV. OF MISS. 52% 53%
    17 UNIV. OF FLA. 44% 38%
    18 BOISE STATE UNIV. 57% 47%
    19 TEXAS CHRISTIAN U. 50% 61%
    20 W.VIRGINIA UNIV. 36% 58%
    21 OKLAHOMA STATE 32% 52%
    22 UNEB.-LINCOLN 41% 69%
    23 UMD-COLLEGE PARK 38% 71%
    24 UMINN-TWIN CITIES 31% 58%
    25 UNIV. OF UTAH 42% ***

If that's a Utah joke, its in the wrong column.
    STEW BEEF!

What is that the top 25 of? Preseason top 25 based on performance on the field?
    It can't be, seeing as some of those teams don't belong there and some others are conspicuously missing. Perhaps a link would help.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    What is that the top 25 of? Preseason top 25 based on performance on the field?
    It can't be, seeing as some of those teams don't belong there and some others are conspicuously missing. Perhaps a link would help.
    I don`t see what difference it makes. The numbers are the numbers. Albeit different numbers than what the UM hype machine would have you believe. Nonetheless, here is the link
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_112409398

I could really care less about this argument, but here's my two sense. All Universities bend the rules for athletes. Michigan is absolutely no exception. The point that I think bukdow is trying to make is that it is ridiculous when UM fans try to claim that they hold their athletes to higher standards. I've been hearing all my life about how Michigan holds their athletes to higher standards. Sure they do (sarcasm). If they'll allow Marlon Jackson and Bernard Robinson to be team captains after being arrested on aggravated assault and sexual assault charges, I'm sure they're willing to bend some academic rules. The other completely ridiculous statement often made is that Michigan could have had a recruit (Rogers), but he couldn't make it academically. Prove it. That's a bullshit excuse for not landing a kid. Slocum?

+ Reply to Thread