+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Harbaugh have an axe to grind?

If you aren't interested in debating it why add they last line in there? Why? Because you are interested in slamming the school you just don't/can't debate the real issues of the matter. Just yell out the school you love and then curse the school you hate.

This forum is a joke.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    If you aren't interested in debating it why add they last line in there? Why? Because you are interested in slamming the school you just don't/can't debate the real issues of the matter. Just yell out the school you love and then curse the school you hate.

This forum is a joke.
    I don't care, but if somebody is going to talk shit and drag it on, then I'll tell it how it is. I don't care if UM pushes its athletes through, but if he wants to talk shit to me and claim it doesn't happen then I'll throw out the facts.

1. What the fuck is the difference between having low academic standards for athletes and pushing students through? How are those two things not directly corrolated? jesus christ, it is like you think just calling someone stupid is enough to substantiate an argument. Unless you can explain the difference in the above, you are an absolute tool. Sometimes it takes

2. How many bullshit excuses can you come up with: the post was too long, i work on education stuff all the time. So you love college sports and you are a dedicated teacher, but you have no interest in education within college sports. If you don't want to engage in an argument, don't post bullshit and run away with bitchmade excuses.

3. Harbaugh was comparing michigan and stanford. He wasn't comparing michigan and msu. Every michigan fan here has said that michigan standards for athletes are not as high as notre dame and stanford. That doesn't mean michigan is just as bad as everyone else (e.g., msu). The larger question to me is what is the alternative to steering less motivated and less prepared kids to sports communication classes. Harbaugh said that he himself received a good education, so it is not like the opportunity is not there.

4. Just because msu has low graduation rates, there is absolutely no causation that msu places more rigorous standards on its athletes or does not push athletes through (however you define it). Other possible explanations include: 1) um puts more effort into working with kids and making sure they attend class, 2) msu brings in more juco kids that have little hope of catching up if their credits don't transfer, etc. If Michigan just hands out degrees (unlike state), why is the grad rate so much higher for white kids? Does michigan just want to look bad?

edit: bolded for emphasis
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Harbaugh has as the thread topic indicated an axe to grind. Namely he wanted a job at UM and got turned down.

The Florida guy has got to make his school seem better than it is.

What better way to show your allegiance to a school but try and knock down a school that is know for both academic execellence and on the field excellence.

Funny that Stanford can be dominant in so many sports with its rigorous standards, but it is too hard for their football program. Balant racism in that a lot of the other sports have mostly white kids who do better in school and thus they can do better in their sports, but black kids cannot hack it.

Whatever. Nontopic really. Name 5 schools that play big time college football that has a more respected degree attached to their name.

Perception is not always reality....ND still living on perception.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

this is what i've gathered from this thread so far:

1) michigan doesnt graduate enough students.

2) michigan graduates too many students.

3) msu graduates just the right amount of students.

IMO I don't think that stanford, duke, northwestern and other schools with major football programs are racist. THey are just more concerned about their average test scores than michigan is. I don't really think it is an academic integrity thing. Rather, they have smaller class sizes and higher average entrance scores. Hence, they would not be willing to field an entire football team with low scores, because it would drop their avg. score a few points and they might slip in the academic rankings. Because basketball teams are smaller, the dukes and stanfords of the world can field decent teams with marginal effects to their average scores. In contrast michigan, ucla etc. have much larger enrollments and lower entrance scores, so it is not a big deal and they'll enroll most kids that can play.

I actually believe that ND does put more effort into making sure their athletes get a decent education and attend class. I think it is due to their position as the flagship of Jesuit schools. I can't prove it, but I know people that went to ND.

IMO, I think the ivy league schools are actually somewhat racist. I think they chose not to recruit kids for football and basketball, because their alumni wanted their kids to have a chance to play football and uphold family tradition. I think the academic integrity thing is just a smokescreen, because alumni knew their kids couldn't compete athletically with the rest of America. The reason I am less impressed by their academic integrity argument is because of their strong preference for legacies in admission. There is a ton of nepotism in the Yale, Harvard, Princetons of the world. They almost refuse to take public school kids, but will take the top 50% from Exeter. This is based on discussion with people I've known that went to those places and is less true for Columbia, Cornell and some of the other ivy schools.

I doubt any really cares, but I am procrastinating anyway.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Did Corey Maggette go back and get his degree?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

X, I never ran from the arguement. Always came back. It's just that it started off as a simple discussion and went waaaay over the top. I never cared enough to go into a huge debate. Only reason I posted again was because you said, Tre quit crying when this thread was about Harbaugh ripping UM.

If you're that passionate about it, that's cool preach on. But, Jethro and I were talking about this tonight while hitting the billiards up: We're fans of athletics. Sure we hope the Universities aren't shady and we want things done right. But at the end of the day it is all about MSU/UM football/basketball. Those are the topics where I'll bring heat and care enough to get into giant debates.

Preach on, it's just not my flavor.

Blog Entries
    Spurrier blasts South Carolina admissions for denying two recruits

Associated Press
    Updated: August 6, 2007, 9:25 AM ET

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier blasted the school's admissions process, apologizing to two recruits who signed with the Gamecocks last winter and were denied academic entry this summer.

"In my opinion, I still believe we made a mistake," Spurrier said Sunday.

Spurrier had spoken with university president Andrew Sorensen and the two agreed, the coach said, that things needed to change.

Spurrier was angered that receiver Michael Bowman of Wadesboro, N.C., and Arkee Smith of Jacksonville, Fla., were cleared by the NCAA to enroll, yet were turned down by the university. The rest of the Gamecocks football team officially reported Friday for preseason camp.

"Hopefully, I truly believe this is the last year this is going to happen, because I can't operate like that," Spurrier said. "I can't operate misleading young men."

Spurrier signed a contract extension, which included a raise of nearly a half-million dollars, that ties him to South Carolina through 2012. However, he said if things didn't change on admissions "then I have to go somewhere else, because I can't tell the young man that he's coming to school here," then not have him admitted.

University spokesman Russ McKinney said Spurrier has been involved in talks with Sorensen and other administrators about refining the process of athletic admissions.

"I think the university administration understands his frustration," McKinney said.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread