+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Harbaugh have an axe to grind?

Does Harbaugh have an axe to grind?

I realize that this may be considered flaming, but it seemed odd that an ex-QB who had a good career and relationship with UM while there, and afterward, would go out of his way to burst one of UM`s most prominent delusional bubbles.

"Other schools which have good academic reputations have ways to get borderline athletes in and keep them in.” Harbaugh includes his alma mater, Michigan, in that indictment. “Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

I just don`t get why a kid who isn`t guaranteed NFL talent would go to UM. You can come up to the house from the field, but you sure as hell aren`t marrying my daughter.

LOL @ not wanting it counted against you that you were a star football player and half-assed your way through your classes.
    STEW BEEF!

Not sure how to react to this. UM still seems to have a slightly higher standard than most. There have been talented athletes in the past that wanted to go to UM but couldn't (classic prop 48 style kids).

And yet, there's Marques Slocum or wahtever his name is. I don't even remember him much because he committed 43 years ago but has taken ACT/SAT, etc. 5 times per week since then to try to qualify and we never get straight answers about when he'll join the team.

So I don't understand what Harbaugh is trying to say. Is he making excuses for Stanford? Did he want them to "bend rules" like he was used to but they wouldn't? Was he offended as a player back in the day when rules were bent to get him teammates?

Apparently the only thing to come out of this is the revelation that
    Michigan has higher standards than many, but not the HIGHEST standards. Not really news to me, but Harbaugh wins because people are talking about him.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

So the bolded quote implies that if you cheer for a guy, you better be prepared to hire the guy? It would seem that favorable hires of former players would probably be some sort of recruiting violation anyways, so I guess we're screwed either way.

If you are making a racial argument with your "come in from the fields" comment", I would suggest that you take a look at the recent federal govt. case against UM, which resulted from UM wanting to maintain affirmative action. By the way, IMO, the strongest selection bias is for kids from high-priced private schools, but no one ever questions that.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu
    So the bolded quote implies that if you cheer for a guy, you better be prepared to hire the guy? It would seem that favorable hires of former players would probably be some sort of recruiting violation anyways, so I guess we're screwed either way.

If you are making a racial argument with your "come in from the fields" comment", I would suggest that you take a look at the recent federal govt. case against UM, which resulted from UM wanting to maintain affirmative action. By the way, IMO, the strongest selection bias is for kids from high-priced private schools, but no one ever questions that.
    Ann Arbor is the mansion and Detroit is the plantation.

thats a fucking stupid thing to say bukdow.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    thats a fucking stupid thing to say bukdow.
    Its nothing I agree with or support. It just seems UM gets kids in there to play football, shuffles them through a bullshit curriculum (if they even graduate), then completely washes their hands of them.

it sounds like you've spending too much time with al sharpton. ann arbor is the plantation that recruits kids from detroit and elsewhere, provides tutors, parking permits, and significant other advantages relative to other students. Allows the kids to play their sport in front of 100,000 +, attend all types of parties and probably get laid a lot. kids can choose to take difficult classes if they want to and are properly prepared. I am sure that UM administration does not want kids to flunk out of school and will suggest, even create easier classes. However, many scholarship football and basketball players probably don't have the desire to put a majority of their free time into studying anyways, so the alternative for many kids would be to just not attend universities, which isn't helping anyone. Personally, I think these kids should just get paid more for playing football or basketball so that we can get past the charade that these kids are getting quality educations. Honestly, if you have an issue with michigan and detroit kids, you should have an issue with college football/basketball in general or you're an idiot.

I would posit the bigger problem is a societal one that leaves most kids from Detroit public high schools woefully unprepared for college. UM has tutors and remedial classes, but a football player is almost certainly not going to graduate with a specialized degree in 4 years when starting with a detroit public high school education. That goes for any other university as well. I'll admit that bobby knight was probably better at ensuring that his kids actively participated in their education than carr or amaker, but he is the exception and not the norm. Finally, I believe a kid with 4 years of education at UM is almost certainly more employable than a kid with no college, so the 4-years is not a waste. The kid just shouldn't expect some cushy do-nothing job.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Here's what I want to know. Are there apparently other universities that go out of their way to find jobs for student-athletes after college when that "student" had no interest in academics and wasn't quite as good athletically as they thought?

Perhaps Harbaugh wants UM to invest in Mark Cuban's football league so these guys can either play or be broadcasters for the league.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

UM tries to claim they have higher standards, but at the end of the day they are bringing in kids that couldn't come close to hanging in their classrooms with the other students and they are steering them toward joke classes just like every other University does. Every school does this, it's a joke.

+ Reply to Thread