+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2007 - Lions notes

I thought he would be. I like the CJ pick, but I also thought Thomas would be good. I just didn't see us being able to afford him and Backus.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I thought he would be. I like the CJ pick, but I also thought Thomas would be good. I just didn't see us being able to afford him and Backus.

Which is a damn shame b/c Jeff Backus is garbage...

Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ledezma
    Which is a damn shame b/c Jeff Backus is garbage...
    yeah, but if you drafted Thomas and lost Backus next year, then what first rounders do we actually have still prior to the last two drafts? Name one. Mike Williams? Rogers? Joey? Backus? Keep going, they would all be gone.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

yeah, but if you drafted Thomas and lost Backus next year, then what first rounders do we actually have still prior to the last two drafts? Name one. Mike Williams? Rogers? Joey? Backus? Keep going, they would all be gone.

Roy and KJ? Are we keeping guys because of where we drafted them?

**Note-Herm is not a Backus hater, he is competely average.**

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Roy and KJ? Are we keeping guys because of where we drafted them?

**Note-Herm is not a Backus hater, he is competely average.**
    damn, forgot that draft. my point still stands anyway. You don't keep them simply because you draft them. BUT, you also can't keep replacing the same postion every 3 years in the draft. We've tried the high OT (Gibson, MacDougal, Backus), Thomas would have been the 4th try in 10 years. We've tried the top 10 pick on WR's (Rogers, Roy, BMW, CJ) too. We simply can't keep spending picks on the same position and ignore other spots (like our LB and secondary, which are complete crap besides Sims).

The real problem here is drafting bad over and over. If some of these players had panned out then we wouldn't be in the position of replacing our #1 draft picks every few years.

I'd rather have an average LT and draft an elite MLB/CB/S instead of drafting an elite LT, cutting our average one, and have crap outside our front 4 on defense.

damn, forgot that draft. my point still stands anyway. You don't keep them simply because you draft them. BUT, you also can't keep replacing the same postion every 3 years in the draft. We've tried the high OT (Gibson, MacDougal, Backus), Thomas would have been the 4th try in 10 years. We've tried the top 10 pick on WR's (Rogers, Roy, BMW, CJ) too. We simply can't keep spending picks on the same position and ignore other spots (like our LB and secondary, which are complete crap besides Sims).

The real problem here is drafting bad over and over. If some of these players had panned out then we wouldn't be in the position of replacing our #1 draft picks every few years.

I'd rather have an average LT and draft an elite MLB/CB/S instead of drafting an elite LT, cutting our average one, and have crap outside our front 4 on defense.
    Just because we drafted bad one time does not mean we should skip someone in the future because they play the same position. You don't let past drafts dictate current drafts. If you have a chance at elite talent, you take it! We'd done poorly with WR's in the draft, but we didn't let that scare us away from CJ.

I agree that the real problem is drafting poorly repeatedly. Millen is horrible at the draft. We really need to hire a draft guru to come in here and work with him on evaluating talent. He's had a few gems but otherwise he's door a piss-poor job.

You don't have to cut your average LT. If we'd drafted Thomas, Backus would be playing RT for us right now and our line may not be near as bad as they are now. I think Backus is an average at best LT but would be a solid RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Just because we drafted bad one time does not mean we should skip someone in the future because they play the same position. You don't let past drafts dictate current drafts. If you have a chance at elite talent, you take it! We'd done poorly with WR's in the draft, but we didn't let that scare us away from CJ.

I agree that the real problem is drafting poorly repeatedly. Millen is horrible at the draft. We really need to hire a draft guru to come in here and work with him on evaluating talent. He's had a few gems but otherwise he's door a piss-poor job.

You don't have to cut your average LT. If we'd drafted Thomas, Backus would be playing RT for us right now and our line may not be near as bad as they are now. I think Backus is an average at best LT but would be a solid RT.
    But you cannot pay a RT that much. Thomas would make a lot of money being a #2 pick. The only way we could have moved Backus to RT is to draft a LT later (I wanted Marcus McNeil last year). If Millen wasn't such an idiot and had drafted Jammal Brown instead of Mike Williams like I wanted, then he could have swapped Brown and Backus on the corners, and Backus would have gotten RT money instead. You could have let him test the market as a LT and when he didn't get it, bring him back at RT money, or replace him if he leaves.

This whole mess was created because we never drafted OL depth after getting Backus and he had no competition for the LT spot.

We have the same mess at DE where we resigned Kalimba for too much. When you suck at drafting depth, you overpay and completely screw your future draft options.

This whole mess was created because we never drafted OL depth after getting Backus and he had no competition for the LT spot.

We have the same mess at DE where we resigned Kalimba for too much. When you suck at drafting depth, you overpay and completely screw your future draft options.
    This I agree with. I'm always looking for guys that would be great OL depth/competition in the 2nd and 3rd round.
    Same with DL help. There always seem to be guys that would be great depth guys that would eventually be starters that we just pass up to take big risks. I didn't know much about Ikia-Francis, the DE we drafted in the 2nd round this year (yes, I know his name isn't Ikia), but i was just happy we drafted for depth. Unless Edwards miraculously develops to his potential, we need that. Millen sucks at the draft. The middle rounds are always full of depth for the trenches and we always spend all those picks on CB projects that don't make the team and crap like that.

Blog Entries
    Backus is serviceable at the starting LT, but if you ranked the starting LT's in the NFL 1-32, Backus is definitely in the bottom 1/3rd of that list... and because we did shell out a big contract to keep Backus, there was no way in hell we were going to draft Joe Thomas...

I hope this year we can draft somebody like Sam Baker or something, or sign a big time free agent, we need to get rid of George Foster and Damien Woody.

Dominic Raiola is fine, and we can get buy w/ Mulitalo at guard...

Scott goes on IR; Woody moved to right tackle

by tkowalskMonday November 26, 2007, 3:28 PM

Jonathan Scott was placed on injured reserve today with a severe hamstring injury. The Lions signed free agent Barry Stokes, who is expected to be the backup to Damien Woody, who was moved from guard to tackle. Woody said he hasn't played right tackle since high school but is looking forward to the challenge. At this point, George Foster appears to be completely out of the picture.
    Hopefully Woody thrives at RT, because we need that position solidified badly right now.

+ Reply to Thread