+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 - Lions notes

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Duckett carrying the ball like Tiki? Wow, that's a comparison I really want to hear.....
    Tiki was a good back, but didn't he have fumble problems?
    Because of those problems, he changed the way he carried the ball

Blog Entries
    Eric Beverly just retired.
    Find a new slant.

gun to your head, yes or no: marinelli was on mushrooms during that presser?

Stephon Marbury wouldn't answer questions that quickly. Not in 5 seconds, not in 12, not in 14, not with a gun to his head.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

i bet his wife would. thats why shes the better ho.

Lions Tracks: Stanton held out with swollen knee
    by Tom KowalskiMonday July 30, 2007, 5:54 AM

Inside the Lions training camp in Allen Park

Sunday's news: Rookie quarterback Drew Stanton was held out of practice because of swelling in his knee. "It blew up. We'll get an MRI and make sure we're OK,'' said Lions head coach Rod Marinelli, who believes it's the same knee Stanton had surgically repaired when he was at Michigan State. Also, nothing happened on the contract negotiations with first-round draft pick Calvin Johnson.

Backup battle: With Stanton sidelined and the coaches wanting to give starting quarterback Jon Kitna a break, Dan Orlovsky and J. T. O'Sullivan -- they are competing for the backup job -- took the majority of snaps at practice. "We wanted to give the other two quarterbacks a lot of work today,'' Marinelli said. "We've got to find a really good No. 2 quarterback.''

Back in, sort of: After not getting any repetitions at wide receiver in team drills for the first six practices of camp, Eddie Drummond was involved in four plays on Sunday morning. He blocked on two plays and also had a deep pass thrown to him, though it was over his head. Still, Drummond was happy to be involved again. "Hey, it's a start,'' he said.

Coach's slant: Marinelli was happy with the intensity he saw during Sunday's practice with pads: "One of the things I really wanted to stress with them today -- and they responded to it -- is they're tired and beat up a little bit but it gives you no excuse not to practice well, be on top of details, eliminate penalties, secure the ball and those things. We challenged them and I like the way they responded. There's energy to the practice and we have to keep doing it.''

Sideline view: A thought came to me while I was watching some of the free-agent wide receivers (Edell Shepherd, Troy Walters and Cliff Russell) run pass routes and try to win a job with the Lions. Each has at least four years of NFL experience. When you add the younger players, like Brandon Middleton, Ron Bellamy and Reggie Ball, you realize there are a lot of receivers fighting for just a few roster spots. And it's pretty much that way with other training camps. Considering there are six or seven rookies or free agents in each of the 32 NFL camps, that's more than 200 receivers who were at least good enough to be invited to camp. But here's the interesting part -- none of them are named Charles Rogers, the former first-round draft pick cut by the Lions last year.

Bumps and bruises: DE Dewayne White (groin) remained sidelined, but could return today. WR Kevin Kasper missed his fourth consecutive workout with a hamstring injury.

What's next: The team will continue daily workouts until its first preseason game on Aug. 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field (7:30 p.m.).

Lions Tracks: Martz confident in running game
    by Tom KowalskiTuesday July 31, 2007, 6:20 AM

Monday's news: The team signed free agent Alan Ricard, who will be the only true fullback on the roster. Ricard, who was out of football last year, spent the previous five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens and started 30 games.

Ground gains: Offensive coordinator Mike Martz is confident that the Lions' running game will be much improved this season because of changes in the offensive line and with Tatum Bell backing up Kevin Jones at running back. "Last year, we were awful up front in a lot of respects. If you get a guy off the street and he has to start that week, he doesn't know what you are doing,'' said Martz, adding that he's been impressed with Bell so far. Jones (foot) is on the Physically Unable to Perform list and there is no timetable for his return to practice.

Coach's slant: T.J. Duckett is getting some reps at fullback, but don't read too much into it. While Duckett is expected to play that role in some two-back formations, it's not going to be his primary responsibility. Martz is notorious for moving players around during training camp to see how many different roles they can fill. Martz might see something in July that he won't use until November but he wants to make sure the player is capable of doing what's required.

Sideline view: They are saying all the right things -- "We really want Calvin Johnson to sign his contract and join the team as soon as possible'' -- but the reality is that club officials aren't that concerned about Johnson's holdout. Johnson learns quickly and has a strong work ethic, so missing a couple of weeks isn't going to significantly hinder his development.

Bumps and bruises: WR Shaun McDonald (knee) was held out of Monday's afternoon workout, but is expected back at practice today. DE Dewayne White (groin) and WR Kevin Kasper (hamstring) both remain sidelined and their status is day-to-day.

What's next: The team will continue daily workouts until their first preseason game on Aug. 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field (7:30 p.m.). Also, the Lions will hold an open practice at Ford Field on Saturday. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and practice will begin at 5 p.m. and conclude about 6:30 p.m. Admission is free to the public -- no ticket is necessary for entry. Fans can enter Ford Field at Gate A or Gate G.
    Clayton: Johnson should be in camp by Thursday
    by Bill EmkowTuesday July 31, 2007, 7:48 PM

John Clayton appeared on the 6 p.m. SportsCenter to give an update on rookie contract negotiations. So what's up with the Lions and Calvin Johnson?

Clayton: "Well, really, it's something that's going to get done reasonably soon. The only hold up today is Bus Cook, who is Calvin Johnson's agent. (He) is with Brett Favre, who is attending a family funeral. That's holding things up for another day. Over the weekend, both sides, the Lions and Bus Cook have been working hard, and each is taking the others' position to try to get something done. That's why after today, I think they're going to get something done by Wednesday or Thursday. This is something where both sides really want to get something done. There's enough money there, it's just figuring out the right combination. I think you'll see Russell [he meant Johnson] in camp by Thursday at the latest."

Lions Tracks: Lehman held out with sprained shoulder
    by Tom KowalskiWednesday August 01, 2007, 5:21 AM

Tuesday's news: Linebacker Teddy Lehman was held out of practice after sustaining a shoulder sprain. He was scheduled to have an MRI Tuesday night and the results won't be known until today. "We're just looking at it right now," head coach Rod Marinelli said. Lehman, the only NFL rookie in 2004 to start every game, has played in just nine games the past two seasons because of injuries.

Smith making mark: The Lions don't have a pecking order among the cornerbacks yet, but Keith Smith is likely near the top of the list. "You're judged on making plays," said defensive coordinator Joe Barry. "No. 23 (Smith's jersey number) every single day, is making plays. I'm really happy with where Keith Smith's at."

No fines . . . yet: Marinelli doesn't remember how many players were fined or the amount of money lost by the Lions last year, but "it was a lot," he said. So far, no one has been fined in this camp. "There hasn't been one guy late, for anything," Marinelli said. "They're just on top of it, on top of the details, and the details will hopefully carry out there (to the practice field). Nobody wants to be the first guy (assessed a fine) right now."

Coach's slant: Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has a way to go before he's healthy enough to help the Lions, but the coaches like what they've seen thus far. "For a guy that I heard had a little bit of a work ethic problem, I have not seen that at all," said Barry, in his first season with the Lions. "He's done everything we asked of him in the off-season, as far as working out and being involved with us. And he's doing everything now."

Bumps and bruises: Guard Damien Woody sustained a shoulder injury, although it doesn't appear to be serious. . . . Marinelli said rookie quarterback Drew Stanton had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday morning. No timetable for his return was given.

What's next: The team will continue daily workouts until its first preseason game on Aug. 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field at 7:30 p.m. The Lions will hold an open practice at Ford Field on Saturday. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and practice will begin at 5 p.m. and conclude about 6:30 p.m. Admission is free to the public -- no ticket is necessary for entry. Fans can enter Ford Field at Gate A or Gate G.
    Lions buy into Barry's emotional coaching style
    by Tom KowalskiWednesday August 01, 2007, 7:34 AM

AP Photo
    Players seem to benefit so far from Joe Barry's highly emotional coaching.
    ALLEN PARK -- There are times when defensive coordinator Joe Barry tosses his blue visor to the ground in disappointment at a botched assignment by one of the Detroit Lions.

Moments later, the 36-year-old might be jumping to deliver a shoulder-bump to one of his defensive players after he forced a turnover.

"That's just the way I coach," Barry said. "If you do something bad, I'm going to let you know. If you do something good, I'm going to let you know, no matter who you are."

Players seem to be adapting well to Barry's coaching style.

"The guys have really bought into what we do," said Barry, in his first season as Detroit's defensive coordinator. "That's all you can ask for as a coordinator. They're eager, they want to get better. They want to be the best. When you have that type of attitude, you have a chance."

Said Lions linebacker Ernie Sims: "I love him. I love his enthusiasm, his knowledge of defense and his willingness to coach us. He loves coaching, and he loves being around football."

Barry has been around football all his life because his father, Mike Barry, currently a Lions assistant offensive line coach, has more than 35 years of coaching experience. Joe Barry even married into a football family; his father-in-law is Lions head coach Rod Marinelli.

Family ties aside, Barry has quickly proven to be one of the up-and-coming assistants in the NFL.

During his six seasons (2001-2006) as linebackers coach in Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers defense was ranked among the Top 5 four times, including two seasons (2002 and 2005) when they were No. 1 overall. At the heart of that success was the play of Barry's linebacker corps, led by former NFL Defensive player of the Year Derrick Brooks.

It's too soon to tell whether Detroit's linebacker group can be that good, but Barry believes Sims has the potential to be one of the league's best.

"When he was coming out of college (Florida State), I thought he was one of the best linebackers I ever evaluated since I've been in the NFL," Barry said. "I think he has a chance to be not (just) a really good player, but a great player. The thing that is going to make Ernie great, not only his God-given ability, but his work ethic. He has a chance to be a star."

The same can be said for Barry if he can turn around a Lions defense that was porous last season when the team had a 3-13 record.

"We're going to play hard, play fast and the number one thing we have to do this year, is finish (plays)," he said. "That's something that we talk about every day."

Marinelli, who was the defensive line coach at Tampa Bay from 1996-2005 and also the assistant head coach from 2002-2005, said Detroit's defense must finish plays better than it did in 2006.

"If you just finish plays, you never know when the fumble is going to come," Marinelli said. "You never know, some guys go downfield and strip the ball. If the guys aren't hustling, you don't get the ball."

Finishing off more plays should lead to more turnovers.

"Usually, the team that wins the turnover battle, wins the game," Barry said. "Whether it's causing fumbles, getting interceptions, whatever. We gotta up our turnover number from last year. That's going to pay dividends for us."

That could lead to more wins -- and a few more shoulder-bumps from Barry.

Johnson is supposed to sign late today or early tomorrow. The sides are apparently very close but his agent is attending a funeral with Bret Favre.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Lions Tracks: Marinelli rewards team with walk-through
    by Booth NewspapersThursday August 02, 2007, 5:12 AM

Inside the Lions training camp in Allen Park

Wednesday's news: Head coach Rod Marinelli gave his team a present Wednesday morning -- a 45-minute walk-through replaced the normal two-hour workout -- but that doesn't mean he should be fitted for a red suit. "I'm not Santa Claus," Marinelli said. "I told them that they earned this reward for behaving like a professional football team. We had an outstanding practice (Tuesday). There was energy, and more importantly, there was execution. This wasn't a gift. This was something they got for playing the right way."

No weather delay: The team finished the afternoon workout with lightning dotting the horizon and claps of thunder in the distance. The cranes used to film practices were lowered as a precaution, but no rain fell.

Fans welcomed: After nearly a week of opening outdoor practices to season-ticket holders and other VIP fans, the Lions announced Wednesday that they will open five practices at the Allen Park facility to the general public. The first 500 fans to arrive will be able to watch workouts on Friday morning (8:35), Friday afternoon (4:45, special teams only), Monday morning (8:35), Monday afternoon (4:30) and Tuesday afternoon (1:30).

Coach's slant: For the second day in a row, Marinelli made a point of telling the media that no player has been fined during camp this year -- a drastic change from last season. "You would not believe the number of fines we issued last year -- the number would stun you," he said. "This year, not one."

Bumps and bruises: WR Kevin Kasper and DE Dewayne White (groin) missed both sessions, and are listed as day-to-day. LB Teddy Lehman (shoulder separation) was waiting for the results of tests to determine the severity of the injury he sustained on Tuesday, while QB Drew Stanton will be out for most of training camp after having arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday.

What's next: The team will continue daily workouts until their first preseason game on Aug. 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field (7:30 p.m.). For the open practice at Ford Field on Saturday, doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and practice will begin at 5 p.m. Admission is free to the public -- no ticket is necessary for entry. Fans can enter Ford Field at Gate A or Gate G.
    mmmmm....hot buttery unfined and disciplined cornbread

+ Reply to Thread