+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spurs Salary dump?

Spurs Salary dump?

The Spurs have agreed to trade center Jackie Butler and Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round pick and cash considerations, an NBA source said Thursday evening.

Looks like were not the only team doing what it takes to stay under the luxury tax....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

if the pistons were adequately addressing their needs, the financial trades wouldnt be discussed. i dont recall anyone being THAT upset that we traded corliss at the time. its that we have continued to tear this thing apart, ignoring obvious needs and having less success every year in favor of the balance sheet.

btw, we should probably stop comparing the pistons to the spurs. i recall 3 or 4 years ago espn.com called spurs/stons the best two franchise in basketball with the brightest future. now i'd say its the spurs and everyone else.

I'd agree with you except that we continuously used the MLE until this year, The problem is that we used it for Nazr, Evans, and Dale Davis. If we spent that same money on players that actually helped us, we wouldn't be having this discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

Also, the Spurs and Scola have had a pretty rocky relationship with him thinking they weren't doing enough to get him to the NBA.
    STEW BEEF!

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    the Spurs are always able to sign roleplayers to decent contracts, and if they dont work out, like Butler, they dump them...i think they had one really bad contract in Rasho the last couple of year, and got rid trading him for Bonner and some other dude

Blog Entries
    Wow, the Rockets just got big in a hurry.

I would have liked the Butler/Scola package for the Pistons (but not for Amir, as I mentioned in the Amir thread).
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    This is also good because the Bulls really wanted Scola's rights.

Now that the Rockets got their bigs, I suspect that Battier might be off the market.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    That doesn't save money from a cap perspective. Butler and Spanoulis get paid essentially the same amount this year and are team options next year. I think they're just trading disgruntled pieces between each other and hoping something can work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stein
    When you combine payroll savings, Vassilis Spanoulis' virtually certain return to Europe and Houston's cash contributions, San Antonio saved an estimated $7 million by trading the draft rights to Argentine power forward Luis Scola and little-used Jackie Butler to Houston on Thursday.

The Spurs were hoping to send Scola out of their conference -- as part of a three-way trade with the Kings and Cavs that would have landed Scola and Bibby in Cleveland before collapsing Thursday -- but decided that the financial benefits were too significant to keep Scola away from the neighboring Rockets.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    <confused>
    How is Scola counting against their cap? He's an unsigned 2nd round pick.
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#43

Spanoulis only partially gets offset if he goes to Europe: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#55

+ Reply to Thread