+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan signs 8 year deal with adidas

Thumbs down Michigan signs 8 year deal with adidas

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolverine
    Goodbye Nike - hello adidas.

Michigan athletic director Bill Martin announced a surprising parting of the ways with the former and new collaboration with the latter on July 10, an agreement in which adidas will supply footwear and apparel for all 25 of the university's athletic teams.

The new agreement begins with the 2008-09 academic year and extends through the 2016-17 season. The agreement is valued at $7.5 million annually in cash and merchandise over the eight-year period.

"We are excited and proud of our new collaboration with adidas," Martin said in a statement. "adidas will outfit our student-athletes and teams from head to toe, while providing additional resources for our athletic department. The quality of adidas' product and their dedication to service, on-site and to all of our teams, makes adidas a terrific partner for us."

U-M teams will start wearing adidas footwear, uniforms, training apparel and accessories exclusively in 2008, joining Notre Dame, UCLA, Tennessee, Indiana, Nebraska and Wisconsin, among others in partnering with the sporting goods giant.

"The partnership between adidas and Michigan brings together two powerful brands that both stand for performance and excellence," Martyn Brewer, Head of US Sports Marketing for adidas, told MgoBlue.com. "Michigan is a marquis program and we are honored to add a university so rich in tradition to the adidas family of schools."

Added U-M athletics Chief Financial Officer Jason Winters: "We believe the new partnership is one of the strongest in college sports. Funding from the new agreement will provide added resources to our long term facility renewal plan."
    This is absolutely terrible news. I am a huge Nike supporter and they clearly make the best of the best from their shoes, shirts, hats and their innovative technology such as Dri-fit, tighter fitting uniforms, and their new iPod technology. To me, adidas' gear looks cheaper an nowhere near as good looking as Nike's. I told Tre last night, I'd much rather us lose McGuffie than sign a deal with adidas. I can't buy any new Michigan gear until 2017. YUCK!

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Like I said in the Crisler thread they gave up the legacy of Fab Five and black Nike's, which is shit, now Michigan's percentage of white recruits will go up. Maybe they should have signed a deal with Jordan, then maybe they will get some talent.

Umm no about Nike. If you have a slender foot of a girl than I guess you might be right, but for guys like me with wide feet, well Nike sucks.

Also I hate the piping that has come on the UM uniforms because of Nike.

To be honest the only thing that makes me happy is the extra money. I guess I am a whore for thinking like that, but I dont really buy anything because it is made by someone in particular. if I like it, I buy it no matter who makes it.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

If we really want to say who I wanted to get the contract, it would have been Under Armor. Much better than Nike anyways.

But again, I buy stuff for the block M not the swoosh. Nike and now Adias support UM, not UM supports Nike.

Blog Entries
    I had no idea people cared about this stuff.
    Find a new slant.

No offense to anyone here, but if somebody doesn't like Nike and their gear, then it says something about your personal style. I'm not trying to go fashion here because we are a bunch of dudes, BUT there is a BIG difference between Nike uniforms, gear, etc. and everything else out there. There is a reason why the ballers have been rocking Jordan's since the mid 80's and there is a reason why the "Fab" Five started an athletic fashion revolution based on Nike gear- It's hands down the best. I always laugh when I open up Eastbay and there is the 5 page Nike spread and then the 1 inch addidas section with the sorry ass Wisconsin Uni's.

Now maybe you're one of these guys that could give a shit and wears the obnoxious Michigan hat with the Meijer maize and blue T because it's got your damn team on it and you could give a shit about name brands-fine. But, I'm telling you right now, it matters to recruits. You don't think the Carolina blue Nike/Jordan uniforms appeal to recruits? Switch em up to Addidas and see how sales plummet.

Maybe you're one of the good ole boys that doesn't give a shit about what teams wear, understandable. But to the rest of us that like rocking tight team gear and to the recruits that want to do the same, this a huge deal.

HORRIBLE DECISION.

For those that say, look at how much more money they received-wait and see how Michigan apparal plummets in sales now. There won't be as much around because addidas doesn't make much team gear and the ballers won't be buying any of it anymore because they buy it for the look, not the team. In the long run, they'll lose money. 2017 LOL

Blog Entries
    So are you saying that a prospective recruit that is down to two schools will choose the one that is Nike over the one that is adidas for that reason alone?
    Find a new slant.

You like Nike shoes if you have slender feet like a girl.

Sorry, but I dont really care about style. I am married and I dont have to impress anyone working in my dungeon.

When I go out it usually to coach my kids soccer or baseball team (soon to be football) and I wear T-shirts and shorts and I dont care if they cost 5 dollars or 40 dollars, because dressing nice does not help my players nor me.

Funny how you say we are a bunch of dudes and say fashion in the same paragraph.....some of use are dudes...I worry about some of us who worry about fashion..

ND, UCLA TENN, along with Indiana and Wisconsin all wear Adidias.

I do not see ND or TENN getting football recruits, nor do I see Indiana or UCLA struggling on the hardwood getting basketball recruits.

Maybe in the slimey world of AAU and college basketball recruiting circles shoes matter, but I am more of a football fan myself and it will have very little impact on UM Football.

BTW if any of this money gets better facilities for UM B-Ball, I think that will weigh more heavily with a recruit than what shoe they wear.

Yeah the ballers were rocking with Nike back in the 80s because of Jordan, not because of the shoe itself. If Jordan would have been wearing Pumas, PUMA would be king right now.

Anyways, I am old and dont care. I buy what I like and not what the mass of stupid people buy. Like people buying something because Paris or Lohan has something, big fucking whoop. I could give 2 shits.
    Last edited by Artermis; 07-11-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you can't sell a kid on wearing all.day.i.dream.about.sex. then there is no hope for you.

But seriously, if a kid is going to make a decision on where to play based on which apparel company the school is in bed with, fuck 'em. Those aren't the kids you want anyways, IMO.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread