+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigers trade rumors/ideas

Hold onto Jair for more than Cordero.
    Destiny

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    I'd do Jurrgens for Cordero in a second. Jurrgens has been alright but he doesn't have overpowering stuff and probably isn't a frontline guy if he makes it. I'd be shocked if they did that deal though.

Yeah, the things I've heard about Jair is he doesn't have the stuff that Verlander, Bonderman, Miller or even Porcello has. I've heard he's more of an end of the rotation pitcher in terms of "stuff" he has. We really don't need that with Nate, Minor and Durbin that can all be your 5th starter.

I'd much rather have a very good closer here. With our starting rotation and offense, we should be leading a vast majority of games going into the 7th inning. If we can shut the door on teams in the late innings I'm not sure any team can beat us 4 games in a series.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

FYI, Jair blew goats in the game he was scouted at.

Giffy is intrigued.
    STEW BEEF!

Outside of Maybin or Miller, I couldn't care less about who we trade to upgrade our roster.

At some point, which seems to be now, you can have too many starting pitchers so losing a few prospects doesn't hurt right now. Plus a guy like Cordero, Lidge, or Gagne can be brought back next year as the closer since TJ is a FA after this season and upgrading isn't a bad idea. I know Zoom is the logical next closer but considering he has missed a lot of time I would assume he wouldn't take that job until 09, since the team doesn't know if he can fill that role.

Bottom line is Detroit is a hot destination in terms of winning and getting paid so we can afford to deal prospects and not have to worry about being depleted since we can dip into the free agent market and re-stock.

I think Cordero would be the best option, he seems like he could adapt to being a set up man or closer, whereas the other guys want to close and may not excel in other roles. Which is also true of Jones, if you rip the closer job from him, they may as well trade him because he can't do anything else.

My hopes are we add a solid utility player to replace Perez which wouldn't be costly, another left handed or power bat like Stairs which would be cheap, and a veteran for the pen.

I have a feeling that KC and STL may be where we get a player or two since they both owe us a player to be named it would be less costly to facilitate a trade if we just added to previous deals.

I would do Jair for Cordero. If we get Porcello signed, in a few years we should have a stellar 1-4. As was mentioned, we can add another SP to the rotation through FA if Nate, Durbin, or whomever isn't getting it done in the starting role.

I don't know if Washington does that, though.

Is Cordero really that good?

His numbers don't look all that impressive to me (1.3 WHIP and 6 blown saves). And considering the fact that he plays in a pitchers park in a weak hitting league, I am not so sure he is as big of an upgrade as people think.

Blog Entries
    The Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees are both interested, but Eric Gagne has the right to veto a deal with either team. He would most certainly do that unless given the closer's role or unless the full value of his contract ($11 million) is guaranteed. The Tigers won't bump Todd Jones and the Yankees aren't about to bump Mariano Rivera. Gagne stays and the Rangers spend August and September trying to work out a multi-year extension. -- Dallas Morning News
    I pray to gawd this is just beat writer buffoonery.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread