+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Fire Joe Dumars Thread

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't fire him, but I'd let him buy the team from Davidson and let someone else make the personnel decisions.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by luniz
    I think it's dumb to compare Dumars to Millen because of Darko. Yea it didn't work out, but at least he made the pick because he was listening to his scouts, instead of letting a clueless owner make the pick. The only horrible move Dumars made was Nazr. It's idiotic to fire the GM of a team that goes to the conference finals 5 years in a row, especially when you can't replace him with a sure thing.
    The Millen comparison isn't just because of Darko. The comparison that I was talking about was inconsistant drafting and free agent signings. Every draft with the Lions is exciting until a after it happens. Then all of the fans are like......what? About a year or two after the draft, Lions fans are like....son of a b%$ch. The Pistons are headed in the same direction as of late. It's just very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Anyone saying "Fire Joe Dumars" needs to identify someone else to take the spot. Does anyone think Hammond would do things much differently?
    After this draft, I'm sure that we could find someone to do a better job than Joe as of late. Why am I so pissed off? Here's why:

We needed:

a backup PG
    a backup SF
    a backup C

We got three backup SG's!!!

At #15 we passed on Crittenton and Young

At #27 we passed on Splitter, Pruitt, Fazekas, H. Hill, McRoberts, Fesenko, Gasol.

There were several deals that were made and the Pistons weren't in on any of them. Even if it was a small deal like getting an extra second rd. pick it would have made a huge difference.

How much better would our drfat have been with:

#15 Young
    #27 Pruitt
    #36 Fesenko or McRoberts (grab an early second by buying it or in this case, offering Minny one or both of the Tor. 2nds for the pick Minny owes us.)
    #57 Meija (I actually like this pick except for him being the 3rd SG)

All of a sudden we got a PG, SG, SF, and a C and had a great draft.

This is why I'm so disappointed in Joe and with his recent track record, I don't think it would be hard to find a replacement that could do a better job.

LOl @ "had a great draft" with a fist full of tirds, but they're the size tirds you like.

you say we had a bad draft the day after it...I just don't agree with that type of evaluation. And I think this year's team was better than last year's, so I don't think they're getting worse. I think Dice could have his best year as a Piston next year. Max is going to be better. Maybe Stuckey can turn out to be a PG some day but he can score and the Pistons needed that.

I think they will make it back to the conference finals again next year and I blame the loss to Cleveland on the players moreso than Joe. Too many critical mistakes by guys like Dice, C-Webb, even Tayshaun, my favorite player evar. And Sheed of course.

Firing the guy that has brought you to 5 straight conference finals might be a bit extreme. I'm pretty sure Joe has a lot of job security.

I think you guys might need to look at the big picture here. We already knew Joe couldn't draft. I myself, am not all that impressed with Young, but I don't know a whole lot about Stuckey. So maybe we should take the "let's wait and see" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Well, until they actually play we have no idea who are busts and who are not. My initial reaction is WTF, we got 3 SG's?...but Young could end up being a bust for all we know.

Right now I am scratching my head for sure, but you never know. What if Stuckey turns out to be Ben Gordon (or even Wade), and Afflalo turns out to be Raja Bell? We'd be in great shape right now if we had Gordon and Bell on our bench. No way we lose to Cleveland and I doubt the Spurs beat us either.

If these guys are Wagner and Kieth Bogans (their worst case comparisons), then Joe has some serious explaining to do with his drafting.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Normally I'm 100% behind Joe D, but today I am wondering:

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    Firing the guy that has brought you to 5 straight conference finals might be a bit extreme. I'm pretty sure Joe has a lot of job security.

I think you guys might need to look at the big picture here. We already knew Joe couldn't draft. I myself, am not all that impressed with Young, but I don't know a whole lot about Stuckey. So maybe we should take the "let's wait and see" approach.
    I'm sure that by me starting this thread, Joe isn't going to get fired because of it. What this thread does is plant the seeds that fans are unhappy with his choices. If he has an awesome off-season from this point on, he will be forgiven. If he continues to make poor decisions, then he should be held accountable and possibly lose his job. I haven't heard one poster think that Joe has actually done a "good" job so far this off season.

I'm not saying that you have any control over his job security.

What I am saying is that teams go through ups and downs. The Pistons have been the best team in the East for 4 years now. The last two years have been trying because our expectations have been high - and rightfully so. We have had the best starting lineup in the league since we acquired Sheed. That's all Joe - he has put us in position to be great. He may not be the best drafter, but we all knew that.

The problem is our coach - Saunders cannot coach nor motivate. We overachieved with the two previous coaches, and have underachieved with Saunders. Now you can say it's Joe's fault for keeping Flip - and I agree. But let's not fire the guy that has been the key to Detroit's success for the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread