+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Night 2007 (official NBA draft discussion thread)

Draft Night 2007 (official NBA draft discussion thread)

its tonight 7/6 central on espn (no tnt?)

lets get this guy w/ 57:

Ryvon Covile has a chance.

In the second round of tonight's NBA draft, Covile, a former standout at Detroit Mercy and Detroit Community High School, could hear his name called and realize a dream for the 6-foot-9 forward.

"I've talked to about six teams about Ryvon and all of them are very much into him," UDM coach Perry Watson said. "They are impressed with his maturity.

"I hope somebody will pull the trigger and draft him."

And the reason he has a chance is his work in predraft camps and in workouts with NBA teams.

Covile is coming off a season in which he averaged 13.7 points per game and 10.6 rebounds (seventh in Division I).

This success came after suffering a season-ending knee injury in what was supposed to have been his senior season in 2005-06.

Covile parlayed his good senior season into an invitation to the Portsmouth (Va.) Invitational, a tryout camp for NBA draft hopefuls in April.

Averaging 12.6 points and 13.3 rebounds over three games, Covile helped his team reached the finals and he was named to the all-tournament team.

"It was fun," Covile said after Portsmouth. "I was nervous when I went down there. But I settled down.

"Because everybody was good there, you had to bring your A-game."

He was then invited to the NBA's annual predraft camp in Orlando in early June, but wasn't as impressive there, according to Chris Monter, editor of the Monter Draft News.

"He scored 18 points in the Orlando opener, but went 3-for-13 in the last two games," Monter said.

But Monter likes the physical attributes of Covile.

"He's a little bit undersized, but he has a 7-1 1/4 wingspan, which allows him to play a little bigger."

Monter said Covile also bench-pressed 185 pounds 19 times -- one of the best showings of strength in Orlando.

"He's a not a great athlete in terms of leaping ability, but he is very strong," Monter said.

SI.com has Covile going to the Bulls with the 51st pick, and Insidehoops.com lists him as a probable draft pick. Covile worked out for Pistons on Monday, and the Pistons have the 57th pick of the draft.

And if his name is called?

"Everybody wants to make the NBA," Covile said. "I'd be speechless."

Why? We have Maxiell already, plus Amir is probably a PF. 6'9" is short for a center these days.

I have him going to San Antonio at #58 (unless they grab a big man earlier).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

local guy w/ a good work ethic > some other useless chump that will be just as irrelivent but minus the intangibles.

I still don't see where he would fit in on our team. We have 2 young PF's and Chris is right, he's too small to play C.

i guess im the oddball. if i ran the team, the bottom of my bench would be filled with big nastys that the other team would dread to see enter the game.

i could care less what positions the guys at the end of the bench play. we've relied on 7 guys for 3 years now. i'd be much more concerned about what other things these guys can bring to the team.

and please, no more tony ranzone specials.

I'd rather take a flier on Bobby Brown (the high school PG) and hope he pans out. Even if Coville played well, where does he play with Sheed/Dyess/Max/Amir ahead of him? He'd simply be a younger Dale Davis rotting on the bench.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Visser?
    Find a new slant.

If he's there, yes. I think Dallas, Toronto and Orlando could all take a flier on him before then.

a random tidbit, Thaddeus Young had a 4.3 GPA in high school. not sure how that translates to "basketball IQ", but he's certainly intelligent.

Outstanding student who compiled a 4.3 GPA in high school, was a member of the National Honor Society
    http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/...haddeus00.html

Thad Young interview (listen to who's game he compares himself to, near the end) :

Blog Entries
    The Rockets just bought a pick from Orlando.

Magic Trade Second Round Pick to Houston For Cash

Posted Jun 28 2007 12:49PM

Orlando, FL -- The Orlando Magic have traded a second round pick (54th overall) in the 2007 NBA Draft to the Houston Rockets in exchange for cash considerations, Orlando General Manager Otis Smith announced this afternoon.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread