+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey (#17) - Nets select Jason Smith

Check your PMs

New Jersey (#17) - Nets select Jason Smith

Next up are the Nets at #17.

Feel free to discuss potential players to be selected, team needs or any other topics related to this pick in this thread.

Once you know who you think they should pick, post your selection in this thread in bold red type. Only vote once per thread.

At 2:30 pm, whichever player has the most votes will be the Nets' pick in our mock draft.

Players selected so far: http://wtfdetroit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9551

Best available players: http://wtfdetroit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9601

Well, I thought Stuckey was a good fit here. VC will probably be gone, so they need a SG. They could always use a big man as well.

In fact I still don't know how you guys picked Stuckey to pair with Arenas. Two tweeners that need the ball in their hands to be effective. Maybe they should trade Jamison and Butler for AI while they are at it.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The Nets select - Tiago Splitter

They had success with Kristic and need size up front so why not?

Blog Entries
    Current players under contract for 2007-08
    Jason Kidd
    Richard Jefferson
    Jason Collins
    Bostjon Nachbar
    Nenad Krstic
    Antoine Wright
    Clifford Robinson
    Marcus Williams
    Josh Boone
    Bernard Robinson
    Mile Ilic
    Hassan Adams

Player options
    Vince Carter ($16.4m)

Free agents
    Eddie House (UFA)
    Mikki Moore (UFA)

Picks in this draft
    Find a new slant.

I'm going with the athletic big man...

Nets select Tiago Splitter
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Another tough on since we don't know "the plan". If Carter takes off they'll need a SG (as Chris said), but if he stays, they'd probably go big.

How far will Thornton drop?

The Nets don't need a SF unless they move Jefferson, Nachbar played very well this year.

I've read that Uncle Spliffy will most likely get bought out and not be back.

They only have this pick in the entire draft, so they need to get it right.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Do you guys think Splitter will even be able to come over this year?

He's got a $1m buyout and I think the most that the Nets can pay of that is $300K, so he'll have to pick up the rest of it himself.

Since the Nets only have one pick, I don't think they can't take that chance. I think Spiltter ends up on Philly, Phx or another team with multiple picks, maybe even Detroit at #27.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Actually, it looks like Spilitter's $1m buyout doesn't kick in until next year, he's locked into his current team for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DraftExpress
    Considering that Splitter has still no buyout for this summer, that he will have a one-million escape clause in the 2008 summer and his current draft stock (out of the top-10), chances are he will have to spend another season in Vitoria to finally leave for the NBA after the next campaign. Tau would require a very big buyout this summer to free Splitter (let’s remember he has a Spanish passport, so he’s very valuable to fill the required Spanish-player quota in the ACB league), which looks hard to gather with the two-year guaranteed first-round contracts. That’s why his final position in the draft will highly rely on how high the teams that are willing to wait a year for him are picking.
    The Nets can't wait for him, IMO.

The Nets select Jason Smith
    Find a new slant.

The whole not having enough big men has been killing the Nets. What other big men are left? Smith, Gray, Williams, or McRoberts. I could maybe see them taking McRoberts but the others are a stretch at this point in the draft. Splitter is the best fit except for the whole buyout thing.

The Nets see Thornton as a super sub and possible starting PF:

Nets Select - Al Thornton

+ Reply to Thread