+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Joe D speaks with Chad Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Rasheed was not the problem in the playoffs.
    I don't think he was a problem "throughout the playoffs" but he sure as hell made a problem for himself at the end of the playoffs with that meltdown in game 6.

I think it's probably Davidson's call if he's moved or not at this point. Joe probably can't get equal value, but Billy may just want him gone.
    Find a new slant.

if im joe d im trading second round picks for greg oden, or atleast another 7 foot young guy w/ hall of fame potential. that way we can win championships.

btw, the most inconsistent player on the team except for maybe sheed is chauncy billups.

definitly count me among the emo kids that want this team blown up.

Blog Entries

Question about Dumars' recent comments

I'll try to find the exact quote from Joe, but he mentioned recently that he was tired of guys that we're "demanding minutes, but not willing to play hard in those minutes" (paraphrase)

My question is, who do you think he was referring to?

Webber?

Sheed?

Somebody else?
    Find a new slant.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I don't think he was a problem "throughout the playoffs" but he sure as hell made a problem for himself at the end of the playoffs with that meltdown in game 6.

I think it's probably Davidson's call if he's moved or not at this point. Joe probably can't get equal value, but Billy may just want him gone.
    I dont think he's moved at any point. Again I think Joe is gonna be one of those guys whose never fully rebuilding. I wants to compete every year atleast. The question is can he avoid a mass exodus at any point? Probably can, but competing next year isnt good enough for me though until we dont have these guys or they really are old and useless(which i dont think any of them are). Which is why I may not watch them this year with Flip running the show. He's just not the coach to get us over the hump.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I think he was referring to the starters as a whole. Maybe.

Anyways, Dumars isn't coaching the team. We all know Flip is a panicky bastard, and the moment things start to go south, here comes Tayshaun with a 40 minute game.

Flip doesn't have the stomach to do what Popovich did early in the season and that's cut Parker/Ginobli's minutes, even though they lobbied for more and even thoguh it may have cost them early season games - he knew they needed to be fresh for the playoffs. people forget, last year they also had a phenomenal regular season.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    he was cleaning up his delfino trade imo. I know it wasnt towards sheed. Sheed never demanded minutes. His motto has always been as long as you pay play, play me as long as you please.

webber? maybe, but i doubt webber was even on his mind and is probably waaaayyy down the priority list, if he's on it.

but we get it Joe, delfino was inconsistent and everything you said before you traded him was a lie. Everything after he requested a trade is the truth.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    I guess this kind of crosses over into the Chad Ford discussion thread, but here are some more examples of what I'm talking about.

Who do you picture that he has in mind with these comments?

Dumars: The only way I know you do it is by drawing a line. Either you keep that edge and you continue here, or you keep fluctuating, and I make some changes. It's not like a really confusing situation to me. Either the guys that stay here keep that edge or the ones who don't, we're going to move on. I don't think you have to go to counseling, to sit down with somebody, to talk about how you get your edge back. Either you step out on the floor and you have it, or you don't. And if you can't sustain it for two, three, four, five games in a row, then I know you're not the person for my team because I'm not going to accept anything less than that. I'm not going to accept this roller coaster, up-and-down, play good for two good games, lull for two or three. I have no patience for that, Chad, so I refuse to sit and analyze it and figure it out and, y'know, send someone to counseling and talk about it. No, no, no...just show up and play or else.

Ford: What has been the response from the players when you give them this message?

Dumars: They know I'm a straight-shooter. I'm not going to mince words. They understand where I'm coming from. When I tell guys that, they just kind of sit and say "I know you mean business. I understand." It's simple, if you can't bring that edge every night, you CAN'T play for me here in Detroit. There's no two ways about it. No hard feelings.
    Find a new slant.

I thought a major point in this conversation was the one they had about #15. Joe mentioned age will not be a factor. With half his core aging he's willing to take a young guy that won't have to wait as long (like Darko did).

I think that means he won't pass on a guy with potential (like Thad Young) for an older player just so they can contribute more right away (like Thornton). He's going to take who he thinks is the best player regardless.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I thought a major point in this conversation was the one they had about #15. Joe mentioned age will not be a factor. With half his core aging he's willing to take a young guy that won't have to wait as long (like Darko did).

I think that means he won't pass on a guy with potential (like Thad Young) for an older player just so they can contribute more right away (like Thornton). He's going to take who he thinks is the best player regardless.
    I got that from the conversation as well. I think he will definitely look at guys like had Young more so than a perceived reach on Rodney Stuckey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mich & Tele
    Not to pick on you Cross, but every time I hear someone talk about how good the Pistons are when they "want" it, I am inclined to jam an icepick in my ear. We have got to stop doing this shit. It's basically just making excuses for our team getting beaten.

It doesn't invalidate anything else you said, though. Just a pet peeve of mine.
    I think we do better in pressure situations just because of the Pistons mindset. We can easily come back from a 2-0 but the Pistons would have a harder time closing a 3-2 series when we are up. read my sig my friend.

Rasheed really fits this imo. He plays better in playoffs and in crunch time but is so laid back in the season. He picks up silly techs and shoots lazy 3 pointers. It's really all up to him but with the way Sheed was focused during the Cavs series, Joe mighit keep him.

+ Reply to Thread