+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit (#15) - Pistons select Thaddeus Young

Al Harrington is not a bad comparison there - probably more athleticism as well.

Still don't know who I'd want.

Al Thornton

Looking at his college numbers, his shot is only getting better. Looks like a great hustle player that can get to the hoop.

Blog Entries
    The age difference is huge to me. Thornton's got 5 more years of basketball on those legs. But some would say that also means he's more experienced. I think it means he's got 5 years less of a career ahead of him.

Hearing multiple reports of Thornton's poor workouts is troubling too.

It is a tough call, but Young just seems more "impressive" to me.

And if you are going to infuse some youth, infuse some youth.

4 to 4 with Wizzle's vote.
    Find a new slant.

I'm having a hard time deciding which way to look at this. There's the upside-potential aspect that says go with Young, its the obvious choice. Then there's the win now aspect that says Thornton is more NBA-ready and would probably be able to do more for us right away. I've been debating this since the damn thing started and I still haven't been able to make up my mind. If it comes down to it, we do know Joe likes to go with experience (Tay, Max are 4 year guys), but he did take a gamble on an inexperienced guy in Darko when he had a high pick. He knows he needs the youth drive so maybe getting another young guy into the system that can slowly develop and start pushing guys on the team more and more as the season goes on is a good thing. Every time I type a reason to take one guy I think of another reason to take the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    The age difference is huge to me. Thornton's got 5 more years of basketball on those legs. But some would say that also means he's more experienced. I think it means he's got 5 years less of a career ahead of him.

Hearing multiple reports of Thornton's poor workouts is troubling too.

It is a tough call, but Young just seems more "impressive" to me.

And if you are going to infuse some youth, infuse some youth.
    I can't stand the poor workout argument in any sport. If a kid can do it on the field or court, he can do it. Besides, Darko had excellent workouts.

And with the age thing, I get it, but who is to say that he will be a Piston for that 5 years at the end of his career. Young is not much different than taking a player straight from High School, which for the most part, again IMO, does not work out for the team that selects them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    but he did take a gamble on an inexperienced guy in Darko when he had a high pick.
    how'd that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle
    Besides, Darko had excellent workouts.
    I believe "jaw-dropping workout" was the quote I read somewhere. but, yeah, i concur.

Blog Entries
    I can't stand the poor workout argument in any sport. If a kid can do it on the field or court, he can do it.
    The stuff that concerned me his workouts is stuff like this write up about what the Kings might do at #10:

Quote Originally Posted by DraftExpress
    Al Thornton should get a look, but he worked out extremely poorly in Sacramento
    Now that's certainly not the only reason to NOT draft a guy, but I don't think anybody here is saying that, either.

Hell, I'm just reading and regurgitating stuff that I've read from "experts" and watching video here and there of some guys, so don't put any weight into what I'm saying. We all know how often these "experts" are wrong.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Let's just hope that Joe D doesn't let Chad Ford make this pick, too.
    Find a new slant.

how'd that work out?
    I wasn't saying it worked out well. Darko wasn't willing to earn playing time and would have probably been better off going to a team that desperately needed him to play right away. He wouldn't have had his pouting shit and would have developed on the floor. Still, wrong pick for us. I was just using this as an example that Joe doesn't always take the college vet. What did Rodney White have? 2 years of college experience? Yes, he also didnt pan out. But that just shows Joe is more willing to take risks on young guys with higher picks and he takes experienced guys with lower picks. Our #27 will be a 3 or 4 year player, most likely. Unless something great slips.

+ Reply to Thread