+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit (#15) - Pistons select Thaddeus Young

I think this pick has to be based on our core guys and what we think they project as:

Billups - PG starter
    RIP - SG starter
    Tay - SF starter - possible 6th man if we draft a good SF
    Sheed - PF starter for 2 years
    Center - ?

Backups
    PG ?
    SG ?
    SF ?
    PF - Max
    C - Amir?

The biggets needs IMO are 1) Center, 2) backup wing, 3) backup PG

Whether or not we sign Hill we still need a backup scoring wing at some point. I'm not sure Smith can play center. he's more of an athletic PF, which we already have.

Thorton is like Max, so he's out IMO. Sean Williams looks like a knucklehead and doesn't look that dominating either. To me it comes down to Stuckey or Young. Both are great scorers and would boost the bench a ton.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

If Thornton is on the board here for Detroit he's their pick. Dumars has been scouting him for a few years now (actually attending a few of his games) and he's the more nba-ready of the players left on the board. He's a very good shooter and is a better athlete than people give him credit for. He'd be a steal at #15. This guy can score. He's just what this team needs off the bench. Who cares if he can't defend right now. I also think he can play the 3.

Thaddeus Young is an intriguing prospect and would also be a nice pick if available at #15. He's definitely more of a project but showed flashes of his potential in a few big spots (ACC tourney, etc.). I like the fact he appears willing to work on his game and is very smart. Good pick if selecting on potential.

I want ZERO part of Rodney Stuckey. He's Flip Murray without the talent (which is bad). You absolutely can't select a tweener that doesn't have a jump shot and can't really jump.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2007 at 03:21 PM.

(Pick changed below)
    Last edited by WTFchris; 06-20-2007 at 01:45 PM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Ehhh.... I still don't know, but I'll crapshoot.

Detroit selects - Thaddeus Young

Acutally, I just read a bunch of articles on Thorton. They say he is basically automatic from 17 feet and in. He is a monster on the boards and a decent defender (they say he bites on head fakes too much, but that can be fixed). He seems like the hustle player that would fit in. He's also very good at creating his own shot. I think the lack of a three point shot would be fine with Sheed, Tay, RIP and Billups here. If anything we need someone who doesn't float out there. They compare him to Marion, Maggette, Al Harrington. He had the highest verticle and ranked #17 overall in the combine too BTW.

I am changing my pick...Detroit selects Al Thornton.
    Last edited by WTFchris; 06-20-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Take this for what it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by DraftExpress

Who slipped?

-Al Thornton is not drawing the best reviews in his individual workouts so far, while some teams are now quietly wondering whether he might end up being available in the late teens portion of the draft. People we’ve spoken to have questioned his ability to play and defend the perimeter, pointing out his lack of fluidity, and even going as far as to call him “robotic” moving his feet outside of the paint. In addition to that, losing an inch on measurements from 6-8 to 6-7 did not help him, while his very soft-spoken off the court demeanor and more advanced age at 23 ½ has been working against him as well. His poor feel for finding the open man or picking up on advanced sets both defensively and offensively has also been mentioned as a negative in some people’s eyes. When’s Thornton perimeter shot is not falling he might not be the most aesthetic workout player to take in, but scouts might want to remind themselves of the way he dominated the ACC this year by rewatching some of the film they have at their disposal. He’s clearly not a finished product at this point despite his age, and relying heavily on workouts to compare him with other prospects in this draft does him a tremendous disservice.
    I need to do more reading still, but right now I'm leaning towards Thad Young.

He's taller, reminds me of Tayshaun and is 5 years younger than Thornton.

Not ready to commit yet, though...
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2007 at 02:10 PM.
    Find a new slant.

I'm leaning towards Thornton, just based on the "best on the board" idea. Everyone wants someone that can help now, and if he's the most NBA-ready guy, then he can help now. I still love the idea of T.Young though. It really all comes down to who we sign and what trades we make though, so its a real crap-shoot right now.

Edit- This was before seeing that DraftExpress blurb. That doesn't make him sound very desirable.
    Last edited by Zekyl; 06-20-2007 at 02:05 PM.

I'm in the Young camp.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's who they have worked out so far:

Player Team Workout Date Status Source
    Rodney Stuckey Pistons Jun 23rd Upcoming
    Brent Petway Pistons Jun 11th Completed
    Artem Zabelin Pistons Jun 11th Completed
    Ramon Sessions Pistons Jun 13th Completed
    Mohamed Abukar Pistons Jun 14th Completed
    Stanko Barac Pistons Jun 14th Completed
    Nick Young Pistons Jun 15th Completed
    DeVon Hardin Pistons Jun 15th Completed
    Thad turns 19 tomorrow, btw.