+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia (#12) - Sixers select Julian Wright

Check your PMs

Philadelphia (#12) - Sixers select Julian Wright

Last one for today is Philly with the #12 pick in the draft.

Feel free to discuss potential players to be selected, team needs or any other topics related to this pick in this thread.

Once you know who you think they should pick, post your selection in this thread in bold red type. Only vote once per thread.

At 4:30 pm, whichever player has the most votes will be Philly's pick in our mock draft.

Blog Entries
    Current players under contract for 2007-08
    Andre Miller
    Samuel Dalembert
    Kyle Korver
    Kevin Ollie
    Steven Hunter
    Willie Green
    Andre Iguodala
    Rodney Carney
    Bobby Jones

No longer with team
    Chris Webber ($19.1m)
    Aaron McKie (amnesty, $7m)
    Greg Buckner ($2.08m)

Player options
    Shavlick Randolph ($1.08m)

Team options
    Louis Williams ($770K)
    Louis Amundson ($687K)

Free agents
    Joe Smith (UFA)
    Alan Henderson (UFA)

Picks in this draft
    Find a new slant.

This is a really tough one. The Sixers are pretty bad all around outside of AI2. Miller is OK at PG, so I don't think they go there. Thornton or Smith, perhaps?

Who plays PF for these guys? They have Dalembert and Hunter holding down the C, but I'm not sure who they have at PF. They may be a team looking to trade its two firsts for a higher pick to try to grab a PF. The "Best of the Rest" we have says Thornton is a PF, but I thought he was a SF. Maybe they go for Smith here. I'd think if Tiago Splitter wasn't likely stuck in Europe for another year he could be the pick here. Or do they consider using the later pick on a PF or sigining someone and go with an athletic wing here? There sure are a lot of them around. They're set with Miller at PG and AI2 at SG, Dalembert at C. Korver is their SF for now, but he could be easily upgraded and become a shooter off the bench. I'll have to think about this one, but I'm leaning towards Thornton with the best player left on the board reasoning. Especially if he can play some PF.

Blog Entries
    Randolph was getting quite a bit of PT at PF before he got hurt.

We'll need to think about this team a lot since they have 3 picks in the first round (and another in the 2nd).

They'd be a team that might be willing to take Splitter and wait on him (since they have so many picks).

I think PHX might have a similar idea in mind with Splitter (they have the picks and it saves them tax money this year).
    Find a new slant.

Smith seems like a good compliment to Dalembert up front. Nick Young is also a possibility here, but they can probably just get a SG later in the draft since they still have Korver and Green. I like Smith better than Splitter here.

The Sixers select Jason Smith

I could see Splitter here though
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The more I see on Smith, the more I'd like to see the Pistons pick him up as the C of the future. Guy seems like he could have some serious talent down the road and wouldn't be too bad now. Unfortunately I'm starting to lean towards him being the pick here.

I didn't realize Julian Wright was still on the board. They may have to take him based just on the fact that he's the best left (I said that about Thornton before I saw Wright was there) and he could be used at both the forward spots.

Yeah, I was thinking they'd want an athletic forward to pair with AI2. Dalembert can play well at C if in the right sets, and Wright can play both forward spots.

76ers select - Julian Wright

Blog Entries
    With four of the first 38 picks, they could almost go "best player available" with each pick, and as long as they don't all play the same position, they'd come out alright.

So since we can't assume that they package any of these together to move up or for a player, I'll go with Julian Wright as well.

Thornton has been stinking up his workouts, and looks to be dropping. Jason Smith is a possibility, but they have so much invested in Dalembert, I don't think they go C with this pick (but will with one of the others).
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread