View Poll Results: At #7, the Timberwolves select...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Conley Jr.

2 40.00%
  • Jeff Green

3 60.00%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota (#7) - Timberwolves select Jeff Green

Check your PMs

Minnesota (#7) - Timberwolves select Jeff Green

Welcome back to week 2 of the first ever WTFDetroit.com User NBA Mock Draft.

First up this week is Minnesota with the #7 pick in the draft.

Feel free to discuss potential players to be selected, team needs or any other topics related to this pick in this thread.

Once you know who you think they should pick, post your selection in this thread in bold red type. Only vote once per thread.

At 11:30 am, whichever player has the most votes will be Minnesota's pick in our mock draft.

Blog Entries
    Current players under contract for 2007-08
    Kevin Garnett
    Mark Blount
    Juwan Howard
    Ricky Davis
    Marko Jaric
    Troy Hudson
    Trenton Hassell
    Randy Foye
    Mark Madsen
    Rashad McCants
    Craig Smith

NOTE: Eddie Griffin was released on 3/13/07, but his $2.9m salary still counts against Minny's cap for 07/08.

Free agents
    Bracey Wright (RFA)

Picks in this draft

Blog Entries
    Another team in bad, bad shape.

I was looking at their salaries and they've got some really bad contracts on the books, which really underscores that they need to move KG ASAP and keep these bad contracts tied to him in any deal.

They really need to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by nbadraft.net
    The Bad: A trio of horrible, long-term contracts has really hurt the Wolves’ salary cap outlook. The main offender is Marko Jaric, without question. His game is in a freefall, evidenced by his 5.3 points and 2.1 assists per game, both career lows. Jaric’s confidence and minutes have been slashed. None of that will stop him from collecting $27.3 million over the next four years.

The next culprit is the perpetually injured, rarely effective Troy Hudson. He’ll get $18.9 million over three years. T-Hud has played in 70 games combined the last two seasons and didn’t shoot higher than 38% in either one of them. The Wolves might want to buy-out the rest of Hudson’s contract and potentially save a little money in the long run, because they won’t be getting much out of him anyway.

The last member of the trio is center Mark Blount. Playing alongside KG actually coaxed a decent year out of Blount. He averaged 12.3 points and 6.2 rebounds on 50.9% shooting. So what’s the problem? Blount is owed $22 million over the next three seasons and the 12.3 points and 6.2 rebounds were high for what he normally produces. Unless Garnett’s enthusiasm can inspire a little more production from Blount, his contract simply is not worth it.
    I'm sooo glad we stayed away from Jaric. One bright spot from the last season at least.

Tough call between Noah and the two wings (Wright and Green). Do they find scoring help for KG, or someone to help on the boards?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

what do you do with two young guards in Foye and McCants?

Add a third: Mike Conley Jr.

I just can't see this cat slipping any further

Agree. Neither of Foye and McCants are PG's, and Conley should be able to get Garnett more easy looks off of help.

Wolves select - Mike Conley Jr.

Blog Entries
    I'm having a hard time with this one.

If we knew for sure that KG was or was not going to be traded, that would make it easier.

The few times I saw Foye play PG, he looked pretty good to me, so I'm struggling with Conley going here.
    Find a new slant.

Tough call here. I see the team needing some energy on a nightly basis. I think that there are questions about Conley and he will slip a bit. With that the T-Wolves select:

Joakim Noah

I cannot go with Conley. They already have two small guards (Foye and McCants). They need size or a wing IMO. I'm still torn on Wright or Noah. Since they already have the rebounding hustle players that can't score up front (like Blount), I'm going with Ford's (most versitile player in the draft):

Minnesota selects Julian Wright

KG does the little things. He needs help scoring IMO.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    It seems to me that the TWolves need an immediate contributor. No projects or role players.

The starting lineup is respectible at PG (Foye), SG (Davis), PF (Garnett) and C (Blount).

The glaring hole seems to be SF where Trenton Hassell is probably the starter right now.

So I'll go with SF Jeff Green here, and think they'll go big with their 2nd round pick, since Blount in the next weakest link.

Julian Wright would have been the other SF option, but he seems too raw for the situation that they are in.
    Find a new slant.

Closed Thread