+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maybe its just me...

Maybe its just me...

First off...I really like this board a lot and the posters are all great honestly...

...but everything is so damn spread out on this damn place...why dont you guys put all the Pistons shit in one area then put all the other sports shit in another. I never see have the shit because I "browse" this place but I know I would post more if all the sports shit was in one area etc...

It just seems so damn segmented.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Its in the 'Sports Forums'. I guess I see your point that there could be a 'Pistons' forum aside from the 'NBA' forum. The lines could get so blurred there though that it might be difficult.

hey Muhme, i don't know if this will help, but at the top of the page, there's a "New Posts" link. if you click on that, it'll show you all the discussions that have new posts since you last visited. i use it all the time and it helps save time from clicking on every forum category.

LMK if that helps.

yeah...I gotcha...its just that if all the sports stuff was in one area it seems to me like it might be more people participating...

nevertheless...I still love this place..

Blog Entries
    This is the second request that we have had in the last six months or so for "less organization" (I think Zip was the other).

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    This is the second request that we have had in the last six months or so for "less organization" (I think Zip was the other).

I don't get it.
    For a site like this you do not need the organization. Hell there are usually no more than 20 people on at a time? If you put all the SPORTS stuff in one area it will stir up more conversations between all the posters.

When Sports Inferno was first started, I hated it. I was so against it and I wanted everything segmented...but now I see how much it works and we ended up doing the same thing over at FVsports and it has worked great in both places. Helps the site grow, posters interact more and everyone hits all the topics. Makes the board a lot better.

You break it down so much you scatter all the posters all over the place. I usually only come here and hit the gaming section and then glance the main topic page...if there is nothing there, I bounce. If all the sports stuff was in one area, I would check that out and more than likely, post a whole hellova a lot more and spend more time here...same goes with an off topic page.

Half the time I dont know where to start topics everything is segmented so much...

...it sorta sucks because I pimp this place and I think if everything was in a few different spots instead of 12-15 spots the site would grow faster...

just my $.02 from seeing it work on two sites that started smaller than this and are now bigger

Blog Entries
    Three things:

1. Your comments are great, it's always good to hear opinions about how things could be improved.

2. We don't have a radio show to help grow this site like the Sports Inferno does (yet). You may not think that is a factor in how much traffic that site gets, but I think it's huge.

3. This might just be my interpretation of what you are saying, but it sounds like you are suggesting that we intentionally make it harder for people to find what they are looking for so they are forced to weed through things that they don't care about, which can make the place seem "busier", which actually leads to it BEING busier.

Personally, I think I'd much rather make it easier for people to find what they are interested in than that option, but if others disagree we can have that discussion.

Thanks for the comments, Muhme. The offseason is a perfect time for us to have some of these discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Three things:

1. Your comments are great, it's always good to hear opinions about how things could be improved.

2. We don't have a radio show to help grow this site like the Sports Inferno does (yet). You may not think that is a factor in how much traffic that site gets, but I think it's huge.

3. This might just be my interpretation of what you are saying, but it sounds like you are suggesting that we intentionally make it harder for people to find what they are looking for so they are forced to weed through things that they don't care about, which can make the place seem "busier", which actually leads to it BEING busier.

Personally, I think I'd much rather make it easier for people to find what they are interested in than that option, but if others disagree we can have that discussion.

Thanks for the comments, Muhme. The offseason is a perfect time for us to have some of these discussions.
    I totally agree with the radio show making the site grow... however, I brought up the same thing over at fvsports.com when they had their sports split up...they were against it at first, but now they seem to love it and it has increased the activity from the posters.

Umm...as for your #3...I can see it both ways...however, I think on a message board most people "browse" instead of "look" for things...maybe it is just me and that is sort of why I started this... I like browsing all the boards, checking all the topics...

thanks for your comments, Muhme. i always appreciate hearing constructive criticism.

like Glenn said, we're revisiting lots of new directions in the off-season.

please don't ever hesitate to speak up when you think something could be better.

Just kickin' back on the seven seas of smoothness.
    Maybe it's because i'm used to big gaming sites that have all kinds of forums set up, but I don't really have a problem with all the forums on here. They all seem to make sense to me and I don't really see anything that's out of place.

I do hear what Muhme is saying and when he brought up the SI site, I don't think he was talking about how much traffic they get, he was talking about how the forums are organized. Both of us were beating the sub forum drums forever on that place and the powers that be were against. We eventually compromised, and got a few sub forums and it seems to work for that place having everything consolidated in a few spots.

BUT...

The type of people that would be more inclined to sign up to the SI forums might be internet message board...um..."noobs", and that has to be taken into consideration when organizing the forums over there. If someone comes to the SI site and sees a buttload of sub forums, they might get intimidated and leave.

When it comes to this site, I think it's more catered towards the message board veterans, so to speak. So, I don't think you need to dumb down the forum structure because anybody looking for a site like this, probably already knows what the hell they are doing.

Speaking of FV, even with their consolidated structure, it is still a little confusing as to where to post certain things. Whenever I want to post video game stuff, I don't know where to post it. Do I post it in the sports section or do I post it in the off-sports section? It can go either way with these forums.

Anyway, that's just my $.02.

+ Reply to Thread