+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portland (#1) - Blazers select Greg Oden

Check your PMs

Portland (#1) - Blazers select Greg Oden

Portland has the #1 pick in the draft, who should they select?

Feel free to discuss potential players to be selected, team needs or any other topics related to this pick in this thread.

Once you know who you think they should pick, post your selection in this thread in bold red type. Only vote once per thread.

At 11:30 am, whichever player has the most votes will be Portland's pick in our mock draft.

Blog Entries
    Well, the obvious question is Oden or Durant? Is it even a question at all?

Current players under contract for 2007-08
    Zach Randolph
    Raef LaFrentz
    Darius Miles
    Joel Przybilla
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Fred Jones
    Dan Dickau
    Martell Webster
    Brandon Roy
    Jarrett Jack
    Sergio Rodriguez

Free agents
    Jamaal Magloire (UFA)
    Travis Outlaw (RFA)
    Ime Udoka (UFA)
    Luke Schenscher (RFA)

Unsigned draft picks
    Joel Freeland [#30 in 2006]

Picks in this draft

Jarrett Jack and Zach Randolph are in a ton of trade rumors. Who knows how healthy Darius Miles or Joel Przybilla will be?

I'm assuming that Magloire goes elsewhere, I'm pretty sure they want Outlaw back, but will they match if he gets a sizable offer?

5 draft picks are nice, but 3 of them are mid to late 2nd rounders, which are crap shoots in most cases. Maybe they'll try some Euros with those?

If they were willing to keep Randolph, I could see where Durant would be a possibility. An Aldridge/Zach/Durant frontcourt would be very nice, but since they are most likely looking to deal Zach, I would say that Oden would be the more likely choice here, and the safest pick to boot.

If they deal Zach before the draft for another starter-quality big, then that could be a tipoff that they might go Durant, but again, that's unlikely.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-14-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    Find a new slant.

Blazers select - Greg Oden

The workouts make this one easier. For a center, Oden's clearly a freak. It seems like a no brainer to me that you want to build around the big man. See: Shaq vs. Kobe/McGrady/Carter types. Shaq helps his team(s) get closer to a championship much, much more than the other guys. Oden, while still needing a bit of work on the offensive end, will use his athleticism for O. Boards and putbacks as well as getting around his man to the rim. He also has a pretty solid jump hook shot. Defensively, he is already pretty well developed and always seems to be around to block shots.

Blazers select Greg Oden

No brainer.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    threadkillers

Do you think there is no discussion about Durant in the Blazers war room? None at all? Any discussion about trading the pick? Any chance at all?

I know you guys are right, it's probably a no-brainer, but if you were a fly on the wall in their war room, what do you think you'd hear?

No, because you don't pass up a talent like this. There would be very few trades the Blazers could consider here. If I'm Portland, I take Oden. If I were this fly on the wall, I'd hear discussion about waiting to see if we get any offers we can't refuse, but I didn't get any offers, so I took Oden.

There will be more debate for the coming picks, buttfucker.

Blazers select - Greg Oden

If there was any debate, I think that the workouts where Oden was clearly more impressive than Durant established Oden as the clear choice. I think that he also brings more GOOD publicity and excitement to a team that hasn't done that well the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    threadkillers

Do you think there is no discussion about Durant in the Blazers war room? None at all? Any discussion about trading the pick? Any chance at all?

I know you guys are right, it's probably a no-brainer, but if you were a fly on the wall in their war room, what do you think you'd hear?
    I don't think they consider Durant at all. I would have taken Oden before the stellar workouts based on the fact that it's darn near impossible to find a franchise center. Portland has a chance to have a young star tandom up front for many years. that's something to build around. If you can get solid big men, you can always add a scoring wing to help out in FA.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blazers select -Greg Oden

Blood red, because the city should riot if they don't pick him.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Okay, I give up on the devil's advocate stuff for now.

So does Oden start from the get-go or do they bring him off the bench?

Oh yeah...

Blazers select: Greg Oden

+ Reply to Thread