+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Ozzie Guillen thread

According to ESPN, they're ready to deal Beurle (likely to the Red Sox) and Dye (who knows where) but Kenny Williams said Guillen's job was safe.

Really? You're kidding right? He wants to deal them because he knows it isn't happening this year, they're getting older, and both guys are FA's next year unlikely to resign. I would say Guillen is the #1 reason why they wouldn't resign. Sure, shake it up. But Guillen should be part of the shakeup. Maybe he's letting Guillen finish the year and then bringing someone in. Doubtful Girardi would take the gig when he wants to be on the other end of town instead.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Ozzie apparently has pics of Kenny Williams in compromising positions.

Here's how the White Sox fared over the weekend against the BoSox.

L 11-3
    L 10-1
    L 14-2
    L 11-1

Yep, that's 46-7.

Anyone can see that the players have given up on the season and the manager.

The White Sox now sit comfortably in last place in the AL Central, 1.5 games behind the KC Royals.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    How does he still have this job?!?!

Apparently he's Chicago's version of Matt Millen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I guess leading the WHITE SOX of all teams to the World Series gives you the gig for life!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270829113

Guillen blows gasket as White Sox lose 15th of 18

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has had all he can take of his team's uninspired play.

After the Texas Rangers beat the White Sox 5-4 in 11 innings on Sammy Sosa's sacrifice fly, Guillen let loose with a profanity-spiked tirade questioning his team's commitment and promising changes ahead.

"It's embarrassing day in and day out to do the same stuff," Guillen said. "People are blaming our pitching staff, but the offense comes along and puts more dirt on the grave. Everyone in that room should look in the mirror and be embarrassed."

Less than two years after winning the World Series, the White Sox (57-76) are in last place in the AL Central.

"We've got a $100 million payroll and they don't show it on the field," Guillen said. "If this keeps up, bring on the Double-A kids. They're killing me. They're killing my family, my coaching staff and the White Sox fans. I hope they care the way we care. I'm tired of seeing this [expletive] every day."

Sosa hit a fly ball to center in the 11th and Jerry Owens made a diving catch, but the fielder had no chance to get up and throw Ian Kinsler out at the plate.

Kinsler reached with one out on a fly ball that dropped several feet in front a sliding Owens, who played while Jermaine Dye got a night off. Michael Young followed with a double into the left-field corner off Boone Logan (2-1), who then intentionally walked Marlon Byrd load the bases for Sosa.

While the Rangers won their fourth straight game, the White Sox managed only five hits -- none in the last five innings against five Texas relievers -- and lost for the 15th time in 18 games, blowing a 4-2 lead.

The White Sox didn't score after having two on with no outs in the ninth. Andy Gonzalez walked and Darin Erstad, in an 0-for-14 slump, reached on a sacrifice bunt when Frank Francisco bobbled the ball. After another sacrifice bunt, Francisco struck out the last two batters.

That was more than enough to set off Guillen, who ripped his team for about four minutes after the game.

"I'm tired of seeing that [expletive], day in and day out. And I don't want to spend a miserable September seeing the same [expletive]. If I have to see the same [expletive], I told [team GM Kenny Williams], 'Bring somebody up. [Expletive] it.' If it's my fault, I should be moving out of here then. If it's my fault, [expletive] fire my ass and I'll be fine. I have the job to do, and I get paid a lot of [expletive] money to make this club work, but it's not easy to work with people like that. It's not easy.''

''You see this since April,'' Guillen said. ''I keep giving people a chance to succeed. A pat on the back. I wish I played for a manager like that. I swear to God I wish I could have played for a [expletive] manager like that. Every time you fail and keep putting guys out there who fail day-in and day-out, that's easy to play.

''You keep failing like that, well, [hitting coach] Greg Walker doesn't hit. Ozzie Guillen doesn't hit. [Pitching coach] Don Cooper isn't pitching. Well, then, have fun.''
    I'm sure this further endears him to the vets on the team.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Un-fucking-believeable

White Sox extend Guillen's contract through 2012 season

Associated Press
    Updated: September 12, 2007, 1:41 AM ET

CHICAGO -- Ozzie Guillen took the Chicago White Sox to a World Series championship two years ago. Now he's trying to keep them from having the worst record in the major leagues.

Sounds like a strange time to give him a new contract, but that's what the team did Tuesday when it announced Guillen had agreed to an extension through the 2012 season. Guillen's previous deal ran through next year, with a club option for 2009.

"The problems that we are having right now, I simply do not believe that they are problems that are with our coaching staff or with our manager," general manager Ken Williams said, calling the contract extension an easy decision.

"I already said previously that I put all that weight on my shoulders. I'm the one that has to put them in a better position to win baseball games and that means going out and making the necessary adjustments to get this team where we are better and get guys back up to their normal level of production."

Williams said he wanted the players, Guillen and the fans to know that the White Sox -- who had 99- and 90-win seasons before this year's debacle -- would engage in an offseason plan to ensure there would not be a repeat of this year's record.

Guillen's made a name for himself not only for his managing style and success but for controversial comments and opinions that often have caused controversy.

Guillen said he's tried to say out of the headlines this year and that may have been part of the problem -- Ozzie wasn't being Ozzie.

"This is the worst summer I've had in all my career because I was too soft. I was kind of worried about what people were going to say about me," Guillen said. "I could care less what people say about me as long as I win."

Guillen was voted AL Manager of the Year in 2005 but the White Sox slid from contention early this season and are 61-84 after an 8-3 loss to the Cleveland Indians on Tuesday, tied with Tampa Bay for the poorest record in the major leagues.

After a 16-year playing career, the first 13 with the White Sox, Guillen coached with Montreal and Florida before he was hired as manager in 2003. Two years later he managed the team to its first World Series title in 88 years. The White Sox went 11-1 in the postseason and appeared poised to be a contender for years.

"When you are winning, you are king. When you're losing, you are nobody," Guillen said.

"I appreciate they still believe in me, they still believe in what I can bring to this club and believe I can have a lot of success running this club," he added. "It feels good that somebody believes in not what I did in the past, but what I can do in the future."

Guillen said one of his sons joked with him about his new deal, telling him that not only was he the first native Venezuelan to manage in the major leagues and win a World Series, but he's probably the first manager to sign a new deal when he was in last place.

"Obviously you've seen the high end of what he's capable of doing and pretty much, as players, we didn't get the job done this year," said Darin Erstad, in his first season with the White Sox. "You got to take the good with the bad."

Guillen, who in 2005 talked about quitting if the White Sox won the championship, went into a rant over his team's poor play during a recent trip to Texas. The collapse came despite a season-opening $110 million payroll.

Now Guillen will be a major part of the restructuring and there certainly will be some criticism of his new deal after such a horrible season.

"I respect that because everybody has their own opinion," Guillen said. "I think I should be criticized for the way we played this year. ... Believe me, after this year and last year what I went through, I'm bulletproof. I've been taking a lot of heat. I don't blame people for putting me on the spot because of the way played."
    Find a new slant.

I was waiting for you to find this Glenn. Didn't have the heart to post it last night on ya.

Blog Entries
    bad news for the Tigers, LOL.

Blog Entries
    This is fun!

Ozzie's blue side comes out in pregame tirade

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: May 5, 2008, 10:58 AM ET

If this was the pregame interview, what could Ozzie Guillen possibly have said after the Chicago White Sox lost again Sunday?

Guillen unleashed his verbal wrath before the White Sox faced the Blue Jays in Toronto, after having been asked a humorous question about a minor leaguer's recent performance and his chance at cracking the White Sox lineup.

That apparently was all it took. Guillen's profanity-laden stream of consciousness touched on Cubs fans, White Sox fans, the media, Lee Elia, and himself.

"Right now everyone in Chicago is making lineups -- 'Call up this guy, call up that guy.' ... If we had 50 people allowed on the roster, we could do that. That's what ticks me off about Chicago fans and Chicago media: They forget pretty quickly. A couple of days ago we were the [bleeping] best [stuff] in town. Now we're [bleep]," Guillen said to the aforementioned Chicago media before the game.

Guillen observed that Chicago still loved the Cubs, even though they have not won a World Series since 1908, but the White Sox -- winners of the 2005 World Series -- did not receive the same affectionate support.

"We won it a couple years ago, and we're horse[bleep]," Guillen said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "The Cubs haven't won in [100] years, and they're the [bleeping] best. [Bleep] it, we're good. [Bleep] everybody. We're horse[bleep], and we're going to be horse[bleep] the rest of our lives, no matter how many World Series we win.

"We are the [bleep] of Chicago. We're the Chicago [bleep]. We have the worst owner [Jerry Reinsdorf]. The guy's got seven [bleeping] rings, and he's the [bleeping] horse[bleep] owner."

Guillen brought up Elia, the former Cubs manager who blew his gasket over what he considered to be ungrateful, unforgiving and unsupportive Cubs fans in an infamous tirade that recently marked its 25th anniversary.

"How about the Cubs celebrating that Lee Elia bull[bleep]? How many times do I curse people out? I will make a lot of money with my [stuff]. I have to keep going because in the future Ozzie will need money, and I can say, 'Here, give me money, here's the 10-year anniversary of my time I called [Jay] Mariotti stuff and the time I went on the radio and cursed out Mike North,' " Guillen said.

The North incident Guillen referred to is from mid-May 2007, when Guillen called in to North's Chicago radio show and the two got into a spat (with Guillen providing most of the profanity). And in June 2006, Guillen lashed out at Mariotti -- a columnist with the Chicago Sun-Times and frequent contributor to ESPN's "Around the Horn" -- and referred to Mariotti using a homophobic slur.

The White Sox had been in first place in their division from April 15 until Saturday night, but are on a five-game losing streak and now 1½ games behind the Minnesota Twins.

"People are panicking," Guillen said. "Did we play a real bad week? Yes, we did, we stunk. But it wasn't too long ago that we were 'the biggest surprise in baseball, wow, look at the White Sox.' "
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread