+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Ozzie Guillen thread

Ozzie Guillen

Guillen fined, ordered to take sensitivity training for slur

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen on Thursday was fined an undisclosed amount of money and ordered to undergo sensitivity training for his use of a derogatory term aimed at Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti.

"On Tuesday night, Ozzie Guillen used language that is offensive and completely unacceptable," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "Baseball is a social institution with responsibility to set appropriate tone and example. Conduct or language that reflects otherwise will not be tolerated. The use of slurs embarrasses the individual, the club and the game."

Guillen went into a profanity-laced tirade against Mariotti before Tuesday night's game against St. Louis and called him a number of names, including a derogatory term that is often used to describe someone's sexual orientation.

Guillen met with reporters Thursday before leaving U.S. Cellular Field to serve his suspension, saying as he did Wednesday that he used the wrong word. He said he agreed with Selig's punishment. He also vowed not to let up on Mariotti.

"The commissioner did what he had to do," Guillen said. "They don't agree with what I say. Me either. I agree with what I say about Jay. ... I'm not going to change. One thing I'm going to make clear is I apologize to the community, but to Jay, no chance. This thing is on and on for good."

Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com that he would continue to speak his mind on different topics.

"I won't stop myself from saying what I feel, and I'd rather move to Venezuela, enjoy my money and leave all this behind before changing the way I am," Guillen said. "I have to continue the same way because I've had plenty of success the way I am, and changing would be hypocritical."

Major League Baseball asked the White Sox to set up the sensitivity training and spokesman Scott Reifert said the team would do so, using its employee assistance program, with specifics to be determined.

Guillen said he wasn't sure what sensitivity training would entail, but would abide by the ruling.

"What class? What is it? Mr. Selig said I have to do something about this,'' Guillen said. "It was not good for me and baseball to be involved in this.''

Guillen said team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf "reprimanded me as a friend.''

"Jerry is behind Major League Baseball about this decision to fine me. I respect that. It's good for baseball because I put Bud Selig in a spot he's not supposed to be. It's done and hopefully we will learn from this and move on.''

Before Wednesday night's game, Guillen acknowledged that his use of the word might have offended some.

"I shouldn't have mentioned the name that was mentioned, but I'm not going to back off of Jay," Guillen said, using another profanity to describe Mariotti, a contributor on ESPN's "Around The Horn."

"The word I used, I should have used something different. A lot of people's feelings were hurt and I didn't mean it that way."

Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com that his apology extends only to the gay community.

"I've apologized to the entire gay community if my comments made them feel bad, but I'd like to clarify that I was referring to just one person. In what involves Mariotti, there's no way I'm apologizing to him," Guillen said.

"I have nothing against the gay community and I accept the commissioner's punishment. I don't regret having treated that journalist that way, but I'm a little concerned that I mistreated the gay community in that way."

Guillen said he had spoken to Reinsdorf about the incident.

"Jay, I think I made this guy a lot of money and he's famous. If not for Ozzie Guillen, no one would have heard of him," Guillen said. "If I hurt anybody with what I called him, I apologize."

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti over past columns, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] fag."

Mariotti, commenting on "Around The Horn" on Wednesday, said then he believed a suspension was in order for Guillen.

When reached before Wednesday night's St. Louis-Chicago game, Mariotti said that the story is the gay groups who have been insulted, and not him.

But Mariotti added that he is not meeting Guillen or going to the White Sox clubhouse because he has been the subject of physical threats while there over the past few years and the White Sox have refused to do anything about it.

"I'm taking a stand," Mariotti said. "I've received physical threats through the years and the White Sox have done nothing to address it.

"I've said, 'If you guys are not going to do anything about this, I'm going to stop coming in there.' "

In a phone interview with the Associated Press on Wednesday night, Mariotti said his Thursday column will call for Guillen to be suspended.

"I'm a big guy. I have to accept the criticism," Mariotti said in a phone interview Wednesday night. "I'm appalled that he can use these ugly slurs and think it's an acceptable form of retaliation in American life. It's not."

Reifert, the Chicago White Sox vice president of communications, said he was aware of one incident in 1997 of a shouting match between Mariotti and Tony Phillips, then a White Sox player. He said team officials and officials from the newspaper had lunch in the 90s to discuss Mariotti's complaints.

Since then, he said, the team has written letters to Mariotti and the newspaper offering to have a meeting and have offered to close the clubhouse for Mariotti to meet with the players, but the White Sox have not received any responses.

Reifert said the team had had good relationships with reporters and columnists and the team "stands on its reputation" for being open and accessible to reporters.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "fag" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Reifert offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.

Guillen, who led the White Sox to their first World Series title in 88 years last season, has gotten into trouble several times with his comments.

Guillen said he's not afraid to lose his job over such incidents.

"I'm going to keep this job for a long time. I'm going to lose my job depending on how my team plays. When teams play bad, the manager pays for it, but my team has played pretty well since I got here," said Guillen. "The day they fire me will be because the team isn't winning or because I'm not doing a good job."

In spring training this year, he apologized to Alex Rodriguez for comments he made in a Sports Illustrated article in which he criticized the Yankees' star for waffling on his choice of countries for the World Baseball Classic.

In his first season, Guillen called umpire Hunter Wendelstedt a liar. Later in the season, Guillen sarcastically referred to Buck Showalter of the Rangers as the best manager in the history of baseball and the guy who invented the game -- all after Showalter questioned Guillen's knowledge of the rules.

Guillen also went off on a profanity-filled tirade last season against former teammate and fellow Venezuelan Magglio Ordonez, who left the White Sox and joined the Detroit Tigers.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2496753

Michael Strahan is pissed.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I'm late on this, but i love this guy. Nothing like a person who speaks his mind, and then gives a bull shit appoligie! I'm searous too. Awesome.

Dude's fucking hilarious.

Going back to last year, both the Baltimore Orioles and Texas Rangers measured the pitching mound at U.S. Cellular Field. This season, the St. Louis Cardinals and Detroit Tigers suspected that Sox hitters knew which pitches were coming. Then, in an Aug. 10 article in the Boston Globe, Red Sox owner John Henry said he wondered if the Sox were stealing signs against the New York Yankees in their series two weeks ago.

''[Henry] made some comment about us cheating?'' Guillen said. ''He doesn't even know what a field looks like.''

The can was then open, as Guillen ripped Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan for his accusations, then ripped the entire National League Central.

''[Cardinals starter Mark] Mulder wouldn't even make my team,'' Guillen said. ''He couldn't start for us, and he's not better than [Neal] Cotts or [Matt] Thornton in our bullpen.

''When you play [expletive] [Johan] Santana, [Brad] Radke, [Francisco] Liriano, the guy from Cleveland ... [C.C.] Sabathia, all the other guys ... ah, [expletive]. If we played National League teams, the Central Division, we might win 150 games in that [expletive] league.

''They think I cheat? We faced two [expletive] good pitchers in the National League Central. Our division, they have to face [the Tigers' starting staff], then you go to the White Sox and face all our guys? When you're going to go to another team, you're going to go, 'Whew, where is Randy Johnson?' The American League Central? That's baseball right here. Go hard one after another.''

It was the cheating issue that really infuriated Guillen, however.

''Good, I hope [they keep accusing us],'' Guillen said. ''What happened in the playoffs and World Series? We won 1-0, 2-1. We won so many one-run games, more than anyone in baseball last year. You look at our No. 3, 4 and 5 [hitters], they are the best in baseball. If we're cheating, how come we [don't] help Brian Anderson or [Juan] Uribe?

''We're cheating on the mound? Our pitching staff gets beat up once in awhile. They're mad. They can't admit that a Latino kicked their ass.''

That's not the first time Guillen has made this assertion. He also said earlier in the year that some managers resented him because, ''Wow, look at this crazy Venezuelan man going to the World Series.''

''That's why I love the guy next door,'' Guillen continued Saturday, pointing to the Twins' dugout and manager Ron Gardenhire. ''He doesn't give a [expletive]. He doesn't worry about this and that. You win, you kicked our butt. When they clinched in 2004, I was the first one to go over there and congratulate them because they beat us.

'''Oh, no, I don't like you because you kicked my ass?' Please. That's competition.''
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep20.html

Blog Entries

The official Ozzie Guillen thread

I'm thinking the next decent-sized losing streak (5 games or more) he's gone.

Guillen upset after radio host questions lineup change
    Associated Press

Updated: May 18, 2007, 7:31 PM ET

CHICAGO -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen unleashed a profanity-laced outburst on a radio show Friday morning after the host questioned why starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski wasn't in the lineup for the interleague opener against the Cubs.

Pierzynski had been on the show earlier, saying he was disappointed to be left out of the lineup as the White Sox started backup catcher Toby Hall.

Hall's first appearance of the season wasn't a good one. After coming off the disabled list Thursday, he made two errors and had a crucial passed ball in the White Sox's 6-3 loss.

"Ozzie called up and after he swore the first time, I asked him nicely to take it easy. He swore again and that's when it blew up," WSCR-AM host Mike North said.

Pierzynski met with both Guillen and general manager Ken Williams before the game.

After Pierzynski went on the air and said he was disappointed to be sitting, North said there was no excuse for Pierzynski -- a weekly guest on the show -- to be sitting.

Guillen, on the way to Wrigley Field, phoned from his car and launched into North. North began responding angrily and Guillen subsequently hung up. North later went to Guillen's office and brought him some fudge.

Before the game, Guillen acknowledged he was very angry but did not apologize for his choice of words on the air.

"No. I already did it. It's too late," Guillen said. "No, I don't regret it."

"I should have been talking to my kids in the car. Every time we play the series, I like to listen what the fans say about the series and what's going on," Guillen said. "It's a funny thing because at 9 in the morning I always sleep. I was mad at the way they were saying stuff."

Guillen said he doesn't have to explain his lineup to anyone, except Williams. And he said Pierzynski is not going to be in a platoon situation with Hall.

"If he thinks he going to be a backup player, he should come to me and not go to the radio. Do I have anything against him? No, he's going to be my catcher tomorrow and my catcher the next day and every day until I make the lineup when Toby Hall is in the lineup," Guillen said.

Moments later, he and Pierzynski met near the first-base line and then gave each other a hug.

"Ozzie and I are fine. That's the biggest thing. That Ozzie and I know where we stand with each other, and I have nothing but respect for Ozzie and what happened this morning was just a misunderstanding," Pierzynski said.

Williams didn't seemed overly concerned about his talkative manager's latest controversy.

"Am I OK with it? No, I don't like the use of the language. But in talking with Ozzie, he was surprised when I informed him he used a few choice words that are really not acceptable for the radio," Williams said.

"He was shocked that he actually used a couple of them to the extent that he did. So that was pure and raw anger that was coming out."
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I've been listening to Mike North* for years and he fancies himself a bit of a badass, but if you've heard the audio of this (available at www.670thescore.com), he tried a couple of times to get Ozzie to stop dropping F bombs on the air (reminded him that they were live, with no delay) and Ozzie kept right on going.

WSCR is pretty worried that the FCC is going to levy some fines, so there may be more on this story to come.

How much longer will Reinsdorf allow this clown to embarrass the franchise?

*Picture Chris Farley as a "Superfan"
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-22-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Find a new slant.

I really hate Guillen. He makes every manager in baseball look bad and he should be ashamed of himself. I really dislike the White Sox now simply because they allow him to tarnish the game. Sports are taking such hits for their bad behavior that it is time for owners and GM's to step up and get rid of the bad eggs. The NFL has started to figure it out as has the NHL. The NBA is clueless as long as that troll Stern is in charge. Let's see if baseball can clean things up.

Blog Entries
    Could be any time now.

Razor Shines may get his shot.
    Find a new slant.

bump?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2910088

The 2005 World Series championship the Chicago White Sox won is becoming a distant memory for manager Ozzie Guillen, whose frustration with a woeful start to the 2007 season is beginning to boil over.

We have to apologize to the fans watching this thing because I'm tired of watching this day in and day out. ... Wow. You thought I was a good manager. Well, look at me now. I'm not that good. You're as good as your players are.
    Ozzie Guillen

The White Sox have lost 19 of 24 and Guillen was highly agitated by his team's performance on Tuesday -- a 7-5 loss at home to the Marlins. The manager questioned whether his players still believe in themselves.

"It's a joke," Guillen said before the White Sox went out and lost 5-4 to the Marlins on Wednesday afternoon. "Every day we see the same stuff, every day we see the same team. We have a couple of hopes here and there and get a little excited and the next day we go backward.

"We have to apologize to the fans watching this thing because I'm tired of watching this day in and day out. ... Wow. You thought I was a good manager. Well, look at me now. I'm not that good. You're as good as your players are."

The White Sox (29-38) are 11 games behind AL Central co-leaders Cleveland and Detroit and only two ahead of last-place Kansas City. In the wild-card standings, the White Sox are also 11 out -- and 1½ game behind Tampa Bay.

''I have faith in these guys, and 35,000 people in the ninth inning are rooting for us, but they go home disappointed. I don't think [the players] have faith in themselves. ... I hope they believe in themselves. If the talent wasn't there, I wouldn't say this. If the talent wasn't there, we'd go in a different direction," Guillen told reporters.

''I'm tired of being positive. They'll blame the coaching staff and the manager and [owner] Jerry Reinsdorf and [general manager] Kenny Williams, but blame the players, too. I'll take the blame because I run the club, but every move I've been making so far is the wrong one because [the players] are not supporting it."
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    He's gotta go eventually, right?

I think they've lost 22 of 27.

That organizational collapse happened really fast.

What, a year and a half after winning it all?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread