+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Miller

Jethro is correct:

We think (Miller) is our best choice," Leyland said. "We're planning on Bonderman pitching the 24th, when he's eligible to come back, but we'll not option Miller out right away after this game in case Bonderman isn't ready.
    "Most likely, though, this is a one-start situation."
    Miller, who pitched in eight games out of the bullpen last year, is coming off an eight-inning start for Erie in which he allowed an unearned run on six hits while striking out seven.
    Leyland said he's not ready to pitch regularly in the majors, but is the right candidate for this assignment.
    "This is based on the fact we think he has the best stuff," Leyland said.
    "His numbers in Lakeland (1-4, 3.48 ERA) were a little misleading. Then he went up to Double A and pitched eight tremendous innings. To be honest with you, this is who I want.
    "I didn't call and say 'I want Miller,' though. The minor-league guys recommended him."
    When asked if Miller could stay with the team beyond the starts he makes as Bonderman's replacement, Leyland said: "That won't happen.
    "It's very unlikely that Miller will stay at this time whether he pitches a no-hitter or gives up 10 runs. It's not going to make any difference right now."
    This wasn't the timetable the Tigers had in mind for Miller.
    "For two reasons," Leyland said. "I'm not sure he is ready. I'm not saying he is. He probably isn't. I just think he'll give us the best pure stuff to take out there for a major-league game of anybody we have a choice of. That's what I'm saying.
    "But I wish it wasn't right now because 1) it means you don't have Bondo and 2) I can't tell you he's ready for this. But when you see a tall, lanky kid who looks like he's five feet away from you when he throws it with nasty stuff, you get excited.
    "What we're hoping is that it's a one-shot deal where we can get him right back to Double A to fall into his next turn. But I think he has the best stuff of any of our choices.
    "I don't know if he's the best pitcher of any of our choices, but he has the best stuff and our reports are that his stuff in his first Double-A game was good enough to get big-league hitters out."
    Despite favorable updates about Bonderman, Leyland had been skeptical about his chances to start Friday.
    "I looked at it for one thing," he said about the blister. "You can usually tell.
    "Plus, Bondo is a tough kid who wants to pitch because he takes it to heart so much that he's letting the team down. Everybody knows better than that."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

can we count this game towards the world series?

damn, this is the but kicking of the season. tigers just batted around with only getting one out. and the kid is cruising!

Holy crap, it's 14-0 in the freaking 5th inning! We're decimating all their pitchers. At this rate, St. Louis should just leave this guy out there the rest of the game or else they won't have any other relief for the rest of the series.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Actually, with regards to pitching, anyone know how long the bottom of the 5th lasted? That might not be good for Miller, to have all that time between innings. We'll see.

Dang. The long time off didn't seem to hurt him, but Rolen fouled off at least 7 pitches before walking. He had 11 or 12 pitches at least in the AB, driving Miller's pitch count up. He's out of the inning without a guy getting past first base, but he's right around 100 pitches now. Guessing he doesn't come back out for the 7th. With this lead, they can throw any guy from the pen in there and it's safe. Get some innings for whoever needs them but may be struggling.

Well, Miller is certainly better than Grilli. Grilli comes in, gets the first guy out, then the next three all end up on 2nd base. 2 runs allowed and still only has the one out. I guess Grilli certainly fits the description I gave above.

Miller looked really good out there. He seemed to have pretty good control and throws a ton of strikes. His fastball has good velocity but he really looks like he's one pitch away from being a major leaguer. He threw a ton of balls but doesn't really have a pitch to get people out. He got away with it tonight but until he sevelops a better change-up or a splitter or some out pitch, he won't be that good. he repeatledy would get two strikes on a batter only to have them foul off several pithces because he's missing that "out" pitch.

Well, his slider is the out pitch against lefties, as it goes down and away. If he can get better command of that same slider, he can use it as his out pitch to righties as well, a la Big Unit.

A better changeup would be nice as well, and I don't think you can just pick up a splitter as an out pitch at this point. If he can command his slider, that will work well. Damn good outing today.

Hernadez talked about his changeup after the game. He said Miller did well, but he basically did it without a decent changeup and once he learns that he'll be really effective.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Pudge said it was like being a hockey goalie catching Miller. Neither of them knew which way the ball was going to go on a number of pitches. Apparently he only threw one changeup the entire game, and his self-critique of that pitch was not good.
    Bottom line - he pitched 6 shutouts with limited stuff that he couldn't control. Imagine what he should be able to do by the end of the year after he gets more control and another pitch, all through work in the minors.

+ Reply to Thread