+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who will revive their program first? Dantonio or Beilein

HipDigIt tuned me into something that Gary Danilesen said on WXYT one time, that MSU won't beat the UM's and OSU's with stars, or by getting them.
    He said MSU need sbodies (and yes, good ones) that stick around for four years and win with coaching, experience, and (I'm guessing) savvy and discipline.
    That sounds like the Wisconsin approach, and it sounds pretty good to me. If I'm Dantonio, I might shy away from the superstuds for awhile, and go for alot of 2,3,4 star guys that you can coach up, and maybe even by getting them on the field right away.
    Belien probably has to try the same thing. What good would it do UM to get a superstar in this or next years class only to have them go pro after one year? Would it help bring other names in? Would it make UM a winner right away?
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

If Beilein's system and the program ever became the hot thing, sure, superstars could change it. Look at Ohio State. For a long time they had no business being mentioned at the top of the conference.
    02-03 they were 17-15
    03-04 they were 14-16
    04-05 they were 20-12
    They really turned it around in 05-06, pulled in the amazing recruiting class and now they've got a great class coming in the next several years to sustain their spot in the top 2, even though many people from those classes are superstars and will leave after 1-2 years.
    The trick with getting a superstar is that, if he's going to leave early, you have to take advantage of having them as a marketing tool to make sure you replace him with two more superstars.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Tre, as far as learning from Saban and Tressel, that's great from a recruiting and coaching standpoint. Let's just hope, for your sake, that he didn't learn their integrity, because while the NCAA won't take down Ohio State or LSU, they would have no problems taking down Michigan State, IMO.

Gators in the South, Spartans in the North representin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    Tre, as far as learning from Saban and Tressel, that's great from a recruiting and coaching standpoint. Let's just hope, for your sake, that he didn't learn their integrity, because while the NCAA won't take down Ohio State or LSU, they would have no problems taking down Michigan State, IMO.

A Michigan fan talking about integrity? haha Down south ya'll are viewed as the most scandalist U in the country. Say it's just one sport if ya want to believe it, but that Webber shit still leaves stank on your U all the way down here. I'm not trying to get under your skin, I'm being for real on this. You play word association with "Michigan" down here and the first two responses you'll get are Pretenders and Shady and that's the truth homeboy.

Are you as retarded as you sound?
    Michigan basketball has clearly been through scandal. Nobody denies that. But did Amaker or Beilein have any ties to scandalous coaches? Has anything happened under their watch? No. They're clean as can be now. Hang on to ancient history if you like.
    Meanwhile, Dantonio's mentors continue to be shady. There's nothing against him at this point, and I was saying I hope for your benefit that there never is. Jump all over it defensively if you want, but only one of us here is denying a potential problem. Michigan knows it happened, and they know they're in good position to prevent it from happening again.
    State seems oblivious to the possibility, and that's not a good sign. For the third and final time, I hope it doesn't. Unlike State fans, I would rather win against a full strength team fair and square. Bragging about owning you won't be nearly as fun if you're missing scholarships or your games don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout
    A Michigan fan talking about integrity? haha Down south ya'll are viewed as the most scandalist U in the country. Say it's just one sport if ya want to believe it, but that Webber shit still leaves stank on your U all the way down here. I'm not trying to get under your skin, I'm being for real on this. You play word association with "Michigan" down here and the first two responses you'll get are Pretenders and Shady and that's the truth homeboy.
    Listen dickhead, you're about as far south as maybe Jackson, Michigan.
    You ask about Michigan down "south", and you'll get a reply like this: "Do that boy play for Alabama or Auburn?" THAT'S what the fucking rednecks down there know.
    Now you can advertise yourself as living in Miami or Georgia all you want, but you're nothing more than a fucking poser holed up in some crumbling shack in Hamtramck or some shithole. Pretending you live down "south" doesn't validate your bullshit one drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    Are you as retarded as you sound?
    Michigan basketball has clearly been through scandal. Nobody denies that. But did Amaker or Beilein have any ties to scandalous coaches? Has anything happened under their watch? No. They're clean as can be now. Hang on to ancient history if you like.
    Meanwhile, Dantonio's mentors continue to be shady. There's nothing against him at this point, and I was saying I hope for your benefit that there never is. Jump all over it defensively if you want, but only one of us here is denying a potential problem. Michigan knows it happened, and they know they're in good position to prevent it from happening again.
    State seems oblivious to the possibility, and that's not a good sign. For the third and final time, I hope it doesn't. Unlike State fans, I would rather win against a full strength team fair and square. Bragging about owning you won't be nearly as fun if you're missing scholarships or your games don't count.
    Jethro, I'm sorry homie but you've completely lost it. You regularly jump into these over the top "what if" daydreams you've had and I can hardly read about them anymore. I let some of the over the top absurd Jethro what if UM bball recruiting situations go, but this is too much. You just posted an entire paragraph of garbage you made up in your head. Dantonio was an assistant under Tressel years ago therefore he might try to cheat now because in your mind Tressel has? WTF?! Can you leave your daydreams in your head because you are sounding like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory, only worse. Unbelievable.

What part do you disagree with? The fact that Tressel and Saban have violated rules on more than one occasion? Because that's been documented. Or is it the tendency to be similar to your mentor that you don't believe? Which is it? Let me say, former Izzo assistants tend to be successful and do things right, don't they? So you can buy into it when it's positive, but you're not willing to even consider the possibility when it's negative?

"The Lovable Losers"

I've been meaning to weigh in on this one. Statistics most probably would bear out Johnny B. Beilein reviving the dead before Dantonio. I mean we're talking the "Bermuda Triangle" of college football here with all its' complexities. I never attended MSU but have been a fan for much the same reason that U-M claims a chunk of its' fan base. Simply put in my formative years in the '60's MSU slapped A2 around so badly that I felt doubly sorry for them. First they had to wear those fucking goofy helmets in public and to add insult to injury were flogged while committing that glamour don't. So then off I go to Tempe/Scottsadale to try my hand at school at ASU and believe it or not nobody out there gives the much talked about 2 dead flies about Big 10 football. We of course were ripping up the WAC then and it wasn't all that exciting except for BYU and a bowl game win over Oklahoma and I thought "you know these guys are pretty good." Anyway I'd see U-M/OSU and of course MSU/ND on national TV and I noticed something weird happened. The stiffs that used to play in the Blue & yellow seemed to have switched uni's with the guys in the Greeen & White.

And so it has been for nearly 40 years. In the early '90's moving back East of the Missisippi I revisited my Big 10 roots and followed the Spartans copiously. Up and fucking down and all around. False starts and stops and what a fucking nightmare!! It was too late though. I wasn't going to jump on the U-M bandwagon because all of a sudden they'd become a regional power. I was going to wait it out until the "cycle" turned. Yeah! Right!! So here I am dick in hand fresh off the heels of a 4-8 season and a new savior coming to town. I was a big John L. fan. I liked the "Cowboy" personna. The Maverick. The great "O" that slapped U-M around until Stanton went down on The Great Big High School Field had me all inspired. Uh, like I said I'm still waiting. I am convinced that when it comes to MSU & Football one can equate it to the final scene in "Chinatown" when Nicholson sees Faye Dunaway shot down and he wrestles with how so much had gone so wrong and his buddy puts an arm around him and consoles. "C'mon Jake its' Chinatown." One fall I'll meet up with Brother Goshboots and we'll see a game after many years of "whoofin'" back and forth. MSU will lose in the last seconds in some untoward fashion and as we walk out of Spartan Stadium he'll put an arm around my hunched shoulders and offer, "C'mon HipDigIt, it's Spartyville."

Sorry if I'm negative MSU FAN but I've seen this fucking movie more than most. I was jacked with Saban, semi-jacked after Bobby W. led them to the Bowl win thinking this is a Saban guy. This will be carryover. This will be GOOD. Pffffffft. John L. with his balls out, ramblin' gamblin' "O" got me excited all over again. Uh cue the dirge music please. Keith Nichol bails out, Everson goes to Iowa on signing day, fuck me with a stick.

Now in comes a seemingly good guy, cue "Won't Get Fooled Again" maestro, with solid pedigree and an NC ring from being a DC with Tressell. He's learned from both Saban & Tressell and EVERYONE has nothing but good to say about him.

I just think he has an uphill battle. This is old shit but I think there is a tremendous disconnect that needs fixing between the administration & the Athletic Dept. As an example hot shit DE David Stanton gets recruited from College of the canyons in Ca. 2 years ago. The fucker moves across country in late summer. 2-3 days before the opener he's told that he'll be inelgible due to some problems with some classes that MSU is not willing to accept. HUH???? John L. looks like a moron and he's pissed and then at the 11th hour it all gets "worked out." It is going on right now with a 4-Star DT named Michael Jordan who is from the Grand Rapids area. He always wanted to be a Spartan. He had grade issues and John L. stashed him at Arizona Western where his 6-6, 285 lb. ass had a million sacks and was an All-American. Now because you can't just come out and talk about this shit because it violates some NCAA bullshit let's just say there is a buzz that he doesn't have the "core classes" required to tranfer into MSU and now it looks like he may end up at Texas A&M. Can you fucking say DISCONNECT? This shit doesn't happen down the road. THEY have a PROGRAM in place.

Good luck to Mark D. I'll be rooting like hell but I have NO expectations. Good luck to JB and his hoops. He has the easier climb. What? A 10 year drought vs. 40? "C'mon Hip. It's Spartyville."

I call on the powers that be to give HipDigit a column.

+ Reply to Thread