+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Job or Wedding?

Need Advice: Job or Wedding?

I am really having a difficult time deciding what to do. Here is the situation, last fall I interviewed for a job with an accounting firm. I really did not have a lot of the accounting classes that I needed so they told me that they liked me and would be in touch with me over the next year. In January my best friend from high school asked me to stand up in his wedding and I really do not talk to him too much anymore, but I told him that I would. The accouting firm calls the next month and invites me to a 3 day get away thing were they say you interact with their staff and see what it is like to work with a great accounting firm. I told them I would go and come to find out this 3 day weekend thing is the same as the wedding. this all takes place in July, also my mom is good friends with the mom of the guy who's wedding I am standing up in. I thought about asking the accounting firm if I could miss one day, but I think that would look bad. What should I do?

do the firm thing and mention that you skipped standing up in your best friend's wedding to be there.

unless you have people offering you good jobs left and right, i think you have to think career first. finding a job isnt easy, especially these days. if youd stand up basically out of politeness, this is a no brainer.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    The accouting firm calls the next month and invites me to a 3 day get away thing were they say you interact with their staff and see what it is like to work with a great accounting firm.
    A three-day weekend job interview?! For someone who doesn't have the job, this seems like a bit much. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds as if you'll be an (unpaid?) go-fer for a few days while they have their get-away. Do you have any clue of how likely it is they'll hire you, or whether you really want to work for these folks? Would they be putting you up in a room, or is their get-away not very far away?

Also, are you sure you could take only one day out for the wedding? The day before the wedding isn't gonna be tied up with rehearsals, rehearsal dinners, bachelor parties, last-minute shit, etc.? For the last wedding I was one of the groomsman for, I was helping dealing with fixing a tuxedo snafu, doing a road trip to civilization because the podunk place his wife was from couldn't parse tuxedo measurements to save their souls.

The longest job interview I've ever had was a 12-hour day where I helped other would-be co-workers doing stuff AT the workplace. The dot-com was growing so fast, fighting so many fires, and needing so much help that they couldn't take much time to really sit down with candidates. Their preferred "interview" was to throw you in for what an "average" day, see if you could keep up, and bounce you around to where you might best fit in.

You're probably going to be turned into a three day "Gimp" for the guys at the firm. They're going to do all kinds of evil homosexual things to you to see how bad you really want this job. Torture, nipple clamps, listening to Barry Manilow, all kinds of weird shit.
    It still won't be as bad as going to a wedding, though, so I'd do the job deal.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

yes they are putting me up in a hotel in troy, paying for my food and gas money to drive there. I think it is a cross between a leadership program and a job interview. I am thinking, why would they pay for someone to come and stay if they had no intention of hiring them or having anything to do witht hem in the future

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    I told them I would go
    I think I see the cause of your problems.

I'd cancel on the dude I don't even talk to anyway. Sucks for him, but guy needs to make some real friends if he is asking people he doesn't know anymore to stand up in a wedding. There are only 2 good things that come from being in a wedding. Free booze and choice of the chicks that go to the wedding, see their friend get married and are in a prime state to be laid on their back immediately. That's nice, but it ain't a job.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerbang
    I'd cancel on the dude I don't even talk to anyway. Sucks for him, but guy needs to make some real friends if he is asking people he doesn't know anymore to stand up in a wedding. There are only 2 good things that come from being in a wedding. Free booze and choice of the chicks that go to the wedding, see their friend get married and are in a prime state to be laid on their back immediately. That's nice, but it ain't a job.
    MONEY.
    No brainer here. Trust me, this won't be the last time this numbnuts gets married, you can go to the next two weddings he has.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I'd call up the wedding guy, explain the situation, say how you're leaning, and see how he feels.

+ Reply to Thread