+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25
FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: OST: East Rd 2, (5) Bulls vs. (1) Pistons (Pistons win 4-2)

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    Personally, I think Scott Skiles is still the same punk he was at MSU.
    Yeah, me too, and Hinrich and Nocioni are total dirtbags, but the rest of the team deserves some respect for their accomplishments. Luol Deng is just incredible.

Wonder if Big Ben is over in the Detroit lockerroom chumming it up with his former teammates? Or is he making travel plans to go to Detroit and watch his old team pursue a ring without him?

That's gotta hurt Big Ben an awful lot to realize that we don't really need him as badly as he probably thought. Knowing Ben, he'll shrug it off and won't even let himself think about it.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Not being able to watch these games is killing me.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    That was more like it.

If we lose to either Cleveland or NJ, this season will be a collossal disappointment.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON that we should not be in the Finals.
    Find a new slant.

Notes: Ben Wallace showed up at the arena about 1 hour, 15 minutes before tipoff - just as he did before Game 3 - and Chris Duhon and Gordon were a few minutes late. Players are supposed to be there 90 minutes before the game. Skiles shrugged it off, saying, "It took (general manager John Paxson) well over an hour to get down here.'' ... The Pistons shot 13-of-22 from the field in the first quarter. ... The Bulls made their first 14 free throws but then struggled, finishing 24-of-35. ... Brown had a season-high 19 points against the Pistons on Feb. 25, and Golden State on Feb. 9.
    Where is the outcry? Ben was late and they stuck him on a cross for it.
    STEW BEEF!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I'm not in much of a mood for praising Chicago at the moment.

The third time's the charm, it's finally over, time to move on.

Yeah, I don't respect Chicago very much, mainly because of Scott Skiles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    Guys I want everybody up for this game. Wether you are there or at home watching on TV, I demand jumping up and down and screaming from everyone. Pistons jerseys and colors must be worn, and if you have 'a reason' that you cant watch the game I wont buy it.

!!Lets go Pistons!!

I cheered.
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Henry Abbott (TrueHoop) on Tay:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...ins-Games.html

Tayshaun Prince Wins Games

May 18, 2007 11:51 AM

For whatever reason, practically all of my favorite players are long, skinny, mobile defenders with good hands who can score efficiently in many different ways when their team needs it -- but don't get all huffy if that doesn't happen.

Tayshaun Prince, Josh Howard (Thabo Sefolosha, and Corey Brewer, I have my eye on you two) ... guys like you win games.

Let's take a moment, though, to consider Tayshaun Prince.

A friend of mine sat courtside at a Pistons game earlier this season and told me that he was horribly disappointed in the Pistons. He called them a bunch of names ranging from "punks" to "babies," saying they whined and complained to the point of distraction, all game long.

It was a lack of poise, he said, that almost made you think this was could not possibly be a championship level team.

Almost.

The "almost" was 100% about Tayshaun Prince, who, my friend said, clearly took it upon himself to talk his teammates off the ledge. At one point, when things were getting kind of wild and the referees were about to put a stop to the madness, Prince, I'm told, yelled at the referee "I got this!" and ran to calm everyone down.

He's the rare guy who has the credibility to make sense, in the heat of the battle, to the crankiest of NBA players and referees. Not a lot of those around, and for that Prince, and likely whoever taught him to be classy like that, should be applauded.

Here are three reasons why you might consider making Tayshaun Prince your favorite player:

Alpha Dog, but Subtle

Tayshaun Prince is, on a typical night, a "complimentary" offensive player. Meaning that most of the time, if the play goes as planned, Rasheed Wallace will shoot it. Or Richard Hamilton. Or Chauncey Billups. But if the defense is sound on the main option, everyone knows it's not the worst thing in the world to toss it out to Tayshaun Prince, who just might nail the three, or swoop into the lane for a bucket.

But don't forget how this man first made his mark in the league.

As a rookie, he played a measly 400 or so minutes combined in all 82 regular season games. Then he emerged as then-coach Rick Carlisle's secret weapon. He nearly matched his 82-game minute total in just 15 playoff games. And the main thing they asked him to do? Down the stretch of crucial playoff games, Prince was the go-to guy in the post, and he produced.

Last night, when Chicago was full of fury, striking match after match trying to light that comeback fire, Tayshaun said "I got this." He backed down into the post, dribbling, feeling, patient ... and then turned over right shoulder and shot the left-handed mini-hook that probably sealed the game. It splashed through with 2:19 left, and put Detroit up 85-73. (Chicago finished with 85 points.)

For emphasis, moments later he took the ball back into the same spot on the post. Were they going to let him do that to them again, to end Chicago's season? He worked the shot clock closer to zero, and his butt closer to the basket. Then he pivoted over that right shoulder again, and this time defenders, desperate to save their season, collapsed from everywhere.

Prince fired a perfect pass to wide open Rasheed Wallace (who missed the three-pointer, but you get my point).

In French, they call that savoir-faire.

Defender

Detroit's defense is their calling card, and it used to be all about the wall of Rasheed and Ben Wallace who would frighten and punish anyone, big or small, who tried to score in the lane. But the league, the roster, and the approach have changed. Now, Rasheed Wallace still often functions as the goal-line stopper, but more than anything their current defense emphasizes Prince.

They're fancy zone essentially calls on him to be longer, stickier, faster, and smarter than whoever on the other team might be trying to move the ball through, or shoot the ball from, the area at the top of the key. It has proven highly effective.

And other times? When Detroit plays man-to-man? Prince makes things very tough on great scorers. For instance, I was making the case to ESPN's David Thorpe the other day, about how LeBron James hasn't really gotten all that hot yet in these playoffs. And if or when he does, Cleveland could conceivably beat any team, including the Pistons in their possible Eastern Conference Finals matchup.

Thorpe agreed it was possible in theory. But with Prince on the floor, he pointed out, it was not at all probable that James would get particularly hot in that series.

Diplomat

I have already talked about this a little, but just one more story, this time from Mitch Albom in today's Detroit Free Press:

[Rasheed Wallace] really was everywhere. Shooting. Rebounding. Defending. He simply imposed himself on the game. He hit the opening shot of the half, a three-pointer. Then he hit a turnaround jumper and got fouled. Then he hit a 16-footer. Then he blocked Brown, who seemed to remember what the word "journeyman" meant. He chased down rebounds. He blocked a Ben Gordon drive and caught the ball mid-air.

True, Rasheed's head almost exploded over foul calls. He had more face contortions than a mime at Fisherman's Wharf. A kick call. An out-of-bounds call. The inevitable technical. No referee whistle was beyond his disbelief. But that is how Wallace behaves when he is totally into a game, and, in that second half, he was totally into the game. And when he got T'd up, the entire team rose to keep him in check.

"I told him it's not the time," Prince said.

And when Prince is talking, even Rasheed listens.
    Two points about that:

* There are people who can calm down Rasheed Wallace? Do you realize how powerful that is? If Portland had one of those back in the day, the 2000 Blazers would have almost certainly been champions.
    * How do you quantify the value of what Prince did in this story? If 'Sheed gets booted, nothing is guaranteed for Detroit. What if Tayshaun Prince had not done all the good teammate things through the years that made Wallace respect him? Would that make the Pistons five points worse? Ten? For the record, Wallace was the most effective Piston yesterday in terms of plus/minus. The Pistons were +12 when 'Sheed was on the floor.
    Nice to see some more recognition for the most underrated player in the game, the Silent Assassin. He's more than just a gangly kid who blocked Reggie Miller that one time.

i came to a similar sentiment last night. not as coherent, but still giving props to Prince.

I don't think he could be the dominating first option on any team, but what a nice third or fourth option to have!! and when the team needs him, he just steps up and delivers. he worked on getting out of double teams while posting up (his biggest shortcoming in that past imo) and i could not believe longer L. Deng couldn't D up on him for his life!

my Tay moment: the game against bobcats after the brawl. since half the team was suspended, Tay had to lead the team. with time running out and down two, Tay had the ball at the top of the key, milking for the last shot. half the stadium had left already. (we were getting creamed by the lowly bobcats) i figured he'd cross over and pull up for a J to try to send it to over time. WRONG! he just drove left extended his left arm and bam!! just threw it down to send it to OT! we ended up winning that game. i still remember that dunk as clearly as the horry shot..

anyway, sorry to go off on that. i had to be G kelser like and show some man-love for Tay.

+ Reply to Thread