+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Draft - Day 2

2007 Draft - Day 2

Ok, there are some interesting names left here that I want to keep an eye on.

Here are some of the guys I would like to keep on eye on:

First of all, there are a number of interesting QB's to watch. I wouldn't mind if the Lions used one of their 5th rounders or their 7th rounder on one of these guys, even though they grabbed Stanton.

Troy Smith
    Tyler Palko
    Chris Leak
    Jared Zabransky

RB - I'm really curious to see where Michael Bush ends up. Most people know I think he'll be a stud if he's healthy.

Steve Breaston - I'm curious to see who picks him up as a special teams player.

TE - Scott Chandler from Iowa. He seemed to always be a threat when we played them.

O-Line, there isn't one guy I really have my eye on here. I do think the Lions need to use at least one of their remaining picks here, though. Doug Free seems to be the highest rated guy left at Tackle.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were done with the D-Line, but I'm curious to see where Maimi's Baraka Atkins ends up. I think he has potential.

As a Michigan fan I wonder about Prescott Burgess. I would think he has the size and athleticism to be a good situational LB for someone.

As far as ILB, I think the Lions should take a shot with Brandon Siler. They haven't addressed MLB yet and he's the best one left. If he's there when the pick early in round 4, he should be the pick, IMO.

At DB, I'm curious about David Irons from Auburn. He's the brother of the RB, and in spite of having surgery twice on his ACL, he still ran a 4.44 40. A little small but maybe worth taking late. I've heard of stories before where two brothers from the same school, one a RB and the other a DB, had a pretty decent career.

The last guy I'm watching is Mason Crosby. The first kicker on the board. Some thought he was good enough to go day 1. Is it time to get our hands on Jason Hanson's successor?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

We have an early 4th and three 5th rounders so we should be able to make some noise. We can trade away picks or even move up if there are players we covet which is a good position to be in IMO. Here is my semi-wish list.....

4th round -- Brandon Siler (Jethro nailed it)
    5th round -- Mason Crosby (he is freaking amazing)
    5th round -- DT (anyone but Clifton Ryan)
    5th round -- CB with KR/PR skills
    7th round -- Brandon Fields (it would be cool to have him and Crosby for the next 15 years and not have to worry about this portion of our team)

I'd really like to see the Lions take OL - Beekman, OLB - Alexander, or CB - T. Jackson. All three are considered to be 1st or 2nd rd. talent and address team needs. WR- Allison is another 1st rd. talent still avail. but we really don't need another receiver.

AJ Davis is a confusing pick. Not sure what Marinelli sees in him more than other guys. 4.56 speed is slower for a corner, and he's under 5'11". Ummm....

By the way, I've heard Siler may not be on the Lions draft board because he's got the same type of attitude as Mike Williams.

Just a couple notes -

First of all, check out the Raiders. Holy crap. I mentioned somewhere they needed to completely revamp this team. I think they have done a great job so far. Of course they have the QB of the future, but they also added a capable QB for this year. They added a top 10 WR who, if he's ever going to make an impact it will be with Kiffin and got rid of another huge waste of talent by shipping Moss out. At this point it will be positive just to get him out of the locker room. Adding TE Zach Miller is huge. Great TE. Better than Olsen IMO. With three 3rd round picks and two 4th rounders they addressed some other needs fairly well, but getting Bush, like I've said MANY times, could be absolutely huge.

Now, for Filly's take. We agreed on Siler but having heard about him being a head case I can understand not taking him. As for Clifton Ryan, I hate Sparties as much as the next guy but having Ryan would be the opposite of Siler. If we took him he may never play, but his leadership skills would be nice to have and Marinelli would probably love him in practices. I wonder, fi they aren't drafted, if we could get Ryan and Fields as UDFA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    AJ Davis is a confusing pick. Not sure what Marinelli sees in him more than other guys. 4.56 speed is slower for a corner, and he's under 5'11". Ummm....

By the way, I've heard Siler may not be on the Lions draft board because he's got the same type of attitude as Mike Williams.
    About A. J. Davis:

"One of the quickest cornerbacks in the country, Davis is regarded as the Atlantic Coast Conference's top man coverage defender. He has drawn comparisons to former Clemson standout Tye Hill, according to opposing ACC coaches, for his ability to instantly change direction and close on the ball with suddenness. He has not only used his impressive quickness and leaping ability to excel on the football field, but was also a productive performer on the Wolfpack's track team. "

I still would have taken CB Tanard Jackson with this pick but at least we addressed a need. TB took him with the very next pick.

AJ Davis
    CB | (5'10", 193, 4.45) | NORTH CAROLINA ST

Scouts Grade: 70

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy Selected by: Detroit Lions
    Round: 4
    Pick (Overall): 6(105)
    View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
    You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Displays outstanding quickness and athletic ability. Technically sound cornerback with good footwork, recognition skills and hand-usage. He displays good burst, balance and body control getting in and out of his pedal. He breaks quickly on the ball and is especially effective when coming forward. He shows the quick feet and fluidity to keep with double moves in space. He gives a good effort in run support. He is a hard worker and a team player. Quiet but displays solid overall intangibles.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size, especially height. He will have trouble matching up one-on-one versus taller receivers in the NFL. He will get pushed around by bigger receivers and will allow them to dictate their routes. He will not make a lot of plays in traffic. He can be a liability in certain red zone matchups. Possesses adequate but not good ball skills. Is not a huge playmaker. Gives a good effort versus the run but will struggle to get off of some blocks and to take down some bigger ball carriers.

Overall: Davis received a redshirt for the 2002 season after having surgery to repair a fractured right fibula (8/14). He returned in 2003, played in all 13 games, and recorded 28 total tackles, two interceptions, nine pass breakups, and one forced fumble. Davis saw action in all 11 games in 2004, finishing with 24 total tackles, one tackle for loss, and two pass breakups. He again appeared in all 11 games in 2005, registering 32 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, one sack, two interceptions, and seven pass breakups. Davis appeared in 10 games in 2006 (missed Akron and Clemson games due to injury), with nine starts, and recorded 24 total tackles, 0.5 tackle for loss, and six pass breakups. Davis has one child; he is not married.
    Davis is undersized and has limitations in terms of run support and matching up versus bigger receivers on an island. He also has never been a huge playmaker. However, he is a hard worker with excellent quickness and athletic ability. Overall, Davis lacks enough special qualities to project as a shutdown No. 1 cover corner, but at best he will be a No. 2 starter and at worst he should be a nickel contributor in the slot. That should be enough to get Davis drafted late on the first day.
    Destiny

Looks like they traded up to get this guy.

Manuel Ramirez
    OG | (6'3", 326, 5.24) | TEXAS TECH

Scouts Grade: 58 Selected by: Detroit Lions
    Round: 4
    Pick (Overall): 18(117)
    View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
    You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses excellent overall size. Adequate height for a guard and he is thickly built with great bulk. He is a workout warrior. Shows good upper body power and plays with a mean streak. Is able to jar defenders when he gets a clean hand punch. Plays with a wide base and is able to anchor versus powerful bull rushers. He has great experience in pass pro but he is a more effective run blocker. At his best when working in the phone booth. He uses his wide frame to engulf defenders at the point of attack in the running game. He fights to finish and rarely loses a one-on-one battle if he's in position. A hard worker in the weight room and also a very durable player to this point.

Weaknesses: Comes from a unique spread-offense system, so his learning curve could be steeper than most. While quick for his size, he is lacking in athletic ability. He will wear down late in games and has a tendency to become lazy. He needs to do a more consistent job with his blocking angles and he will struggle to hit the moving target in space on occasion. Also has limitations in pass protection. He plays stiff and will overextend too frequently. He is susceptible to the double-move by athletic pass rushers. Arms are shorter than ideal.

Overall: Ramirez was redshirted in 2002 and then started 10 games for the Red Raiders in 2003. He was a fulltime starter throughout Texas Tech's 12-game season in 2004 and he started 11 of the 12 games he played in as a junior in 2005. As a side note, Ramirez broke his own school record by bench pressing 550 pounds during spring practice in 2005. Ramirez was a fulltime starter at right guard as a senior in 2006, missing one game (Iowa State) due to an undisclosed injury.
    Ramirez is an experienced offensive guard prospect with adequate short-area quickness to go along with his outstanding size. He displays exceptional strength in the weight-room but unfortunately it doesn't always transfer to the football field. Ramirez lacks great balance and he failed to show improvement in his technique as a senior. Furthermore, he will have a big adjustment to make as an NFL player coming from Texas Tech's spread offensive attack. As such, Ramirez should grade out no higher than a fourth round prospect in the 2007 class.
    Destiny

Interesting, we trade again. Give up 2 of the remaining 5th rounders to move up into the 4th round and grab Ramirez. Well, at least they finally addressed the line. The whole "can get lazy at the end of games" thing will have to change if he wants to make the team.

This leaves us with 2 more picks, one near the end of the 5th round and then the very last pick in the draft, Mr. Insignificant.

I sure hope they're busy with UDFA's because I still see a bunch of holes. Maybe there will be some interesting June 1 cuts.

I don't get why we are trading away picks when we have as many holes as we do. Crosby, Patrick, Siler, Alexander, Shaw, Ryan, etc. all could be used by the Lions. Of course we dont' save the picks.

BTW - good for Cliff - off to the Rams.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

+ Reply to Thread