+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rumor: Pavel Re-Signed

Rumor: Pavel Re-Signed

Got no proof but he is supposed to have gotten a new contract and that there will be a press conference tomorrow to announce the details.

Confirmed

Wings' leading scorer signed to 7-year deal

Center Pavel Datsyuk has become a key part of the Detroit Red Wings' present. After signing a seven-year contract on Friday, Datsyuk will be a part of the Red Wings' future.

Per team policy, terms of the deal were not available.

The Russian player with great hands and dazzling moves leads the Wings with 87 points -- 27 goals and 60 assists. Datsyuk has scored 25 or more goals in three of his five seasons.

"Pavel is one of the world's most skilled players and has developed into a bona fide superstar over the past two seasons," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said in a team statement.

"We think securing Pavel, who is moving into the prime of his career, is key to ensuring the long-term success of this franchise."

Team owner Mike Ilitch singled out longtime captain and current team executive Steve Yzerman for his insistence that the Red Wings' management retain Datsyuk.

"We felt it was extremely important to lock this player up for as long as we can," Yzerman said at an afternoon news conference at Joe Louis Arena.

The Red Wings are the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference and host the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday in their final regular season game. Datsyuk established career-highs in assists (60) and games played (78) this season and since 2005-06, Datsyuk ranks seventh in the NHL in assists (119), 12th in points per game (1.14) and 13th in points (174).

In 2005-06, Datsyuk won the Lady Byng Trophy and represented Russia in the 2006 Winter Olympics.

"I am very pleased to announce that I am continuing my hockey career with the Detroit Red Wings by signing a seven-year contract," Datsyuk said in a team statement. "This contract was extremely important to me.

"I would like to thank my former and present teammates with who I share the ice. I am honored to continue playing with this great organization."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2828304

The contract is 7 years for $46.9 million ($6.7 million average).

If this kid doesn't turn 46 Mill for seven years into some playoff performance, I'm gonna call him "Pavel Gadzooks".
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    If you hold your breath too long you WILL turn blue. I really hope he proves me wrong....YOU HEAR THAT, PAVEL....PROVE ME WRONG.

+ Reply to Thread