+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Gospel According to Cowherd

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    diddy: It's my understanding that you have one representative and one electoral vote for every 500,000 people, and yes, the two for the senators.
    And I never specified "basketball" as the sport marked for elimination. Unless, of course, you are talking about the "Shock".
    shit's frozen, dogg.

and ps: im surprised that the tiny lesbian population in ann arbor is able to support the entire shock organization. never let it be said that those bull dykes arent go getters.

It's distribution. I'm not saying I'm not wrong on this, just that I've always understood that that was how electoral votes were distributed.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Fingerbang and diddy:
    I called my friend Leonard. He's the guy I'd use for my one call if I was ever having a discussion with Regis Philbin, if you know what I mean.
    You guys are correct in that the electoral college is broken down into congressional districts. There seems to be no "set" number, as in 500,000 people, but they attempt to keep districts in that area. Suffice to say that Wyoming or Norf Dakota don't have 500,000 people in their respective states, but they are guaranteed one electoral vote anyway.
    I also stand corrected in that Michigan has 18 electoral votes, not 17.

Fingerbang:
    I have been able to look through two of the links you posted.
    I think I'm going to have to concede "ownage" to you on two very important points:
    First, the job cuts within the auto industry, whole severe, do not indicate at this point that they should "cripple" Michigan. The cuts indicate the loss of about 23,000 jobs, but in a seven state region consisting of Michigan, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.
    That is actually not bad at all considering the current state of the Big Three, with them at least seeming to float the idea of the "B" word now and then. It will affect Michigan the most, apparently, but I actually find a couple positives.
    First, Michigan (and the other six states in the region) have time not only to cushion these EXPECTED losses, but to sense that this may not be the last of it, and can do something about it. Second, Michigan can always hope that as the American auto industry constricts even further in the future, the "core"--Michigan, will be the place that it restricts to, securing a permanent place for Michigan as the center of the American Auto industry.
    The population figures state a very different picture than I thought. Michigan, according to that link, is either at or just beyond 10,000,000 inhabitants, if I'm reading that chart right. Of course it is "estimates", and we will not know until the next census three years from now.
    In fact, at http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/p...cle_1243.shtml, we find an increase of almost 200,000 in population in Michigan from 2000 to 2005. Not bad.
    Now, the important thing becomes this: With Detroit's Metro population at about 4.5 million (my estimate), that means there are about 6.6 mill in the rest of the state, and I would guess most of those folks are in the southern half of Michigan (below, say, Houghton Lake). What is the auto industry's influence on them, and what kind of jobs are replacing those lost.

Now, let me go back to the "verge" of ten years. I need to say at this point that Cowherd did not say something to the effect that in "ten years, teams will be GONE". His initial premise was 15 to 20, and by the end, when he had a little too much time to think about it, he went to ten years as a time frame for something to happen.
    The point, I think, beyond the issues Cowherd raised (and I backed), and it being deftly relegated by your links to a mere "talking point", is these figures show, as usual, that "Detroit Bashing" is just good sport and maybe not grounded in a whole lot of reality. However, I still think it is food for thought. If these cuts are (I think you said this) the end, rather than a beginning of a larger end, then things are definitely OK and Cowherd is off his rocker.

Sorry again, I forgot something:
    Ownage: Fingerbang
    Last edited by Zip Goshboots; 04-10-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Just heard Cowherd say something that I actually agree with.

"I like women. I like basketball. Doesn't mean I have to like women's basketball."

He also said, "I like lasagna. I like pudding. Doesn't mean I like lasagna pudding."
    Find a new slant.

I'll bet the son of a bitch has NEVER actually tried lasagna pudding. Suspend the fucker NOW!

This week has sucked: I'm spending the whole week waiting for contractors to come by to bid on shit I need done, it's the last week before school starts up, and Colin Cowherd is on vacation.

Blog Entries
    Re: sitcom about his life

Damon Wayans as Cowherd?

Eliza Dushku as Cowherd's wife?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Fired, I see. Just read that he had previously announced that he was leaving anyway. Heard he was considering political talk radio.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to not listening to that

+ Reply to Thread