+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gospel According to Cowherd

Dude knows his football. I'll never say otherwise. Spends all year talking about it, so I hope he knows it.
    STEW BEEF!

I guess, also, that it depends on how "deep" into sports you want a national show to go. For instance, the acquiring of a third string center by the Pistons might be great talk for Detroit, but the guy in Atlanta is switching over to the "Crazy Morning Show with Giggles and Humpy" quicker than you can say "Who the hell is Greg Beikert". I think both Kornheiser and Cowherd do a fantastic job of keeping a national radio show moving along with general topics and spreading the wealth of interests around so that they can entertain the masses.
    Now, how's about that Michigan stuff from yesterday?
    BUT FIRST: You referenced Dan Patrick, whose show is about as lame and boring as anything ever. That show is all about Patrick and Patrick. He shmoozes with every guy he interviews for the first two minutes AND the last two minutes, asking about things like what the guy had for dinner last night and who they each look like. When Patrick does the RARE "interview", actually asking questions, he's the best. Other than that, it's name dropping and discussions of his hair and how many times he mows his lawn per month.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

The Michigan stuff will come Zip, but it involves links and stats which require more time than just throwing back a comment on a talk show goof.
    STEW BEEF!

Well now, Finger bang, there IS the matter of how and why YOu disagree, your opinion also. I've stated mine, and I would like to know yours. And Cowherd just looked at population shift, and applied some of his own math and logic.
    I like his style because he thinks outside the box, which, of course, is part of his job.

Do you want me to just say "The prognostication skills of a sports talk show host are seriously lacking when it comes to the economic foundations of the state of Michigan, migration patterns, and the conditions that cause sports franchises to move" or do you want me to show you why people who think Michigan will live on after the shrinking of the automobile industry aren't "putting their head in the sand", pretending they are in their "Granda's Detroit", or denying that the nation goes through changes and that the viability its major sports teams aren't in trouble unless something drastic (like say a hurricane wiping out most of the metropoitan area) happens on top of what we are already going through.

Bullshit you weren't being inflamatory with a thread that said "Your state is shit and dead in 10 years. Deal with it! You'd know if you weren't deluding yourself over there in Michigan! I've got a better perspective here in Omaha." BTW, I always love the "its cold, people leave" in particular. Like it just happened yesterday that Michigan lost year round summer climate or something.

Its a recession with obvious causes based on the abnormal dependency of the region on one major, and now shrinking, source of manufacturing. The entire fucking country went through The Depression and Detroit somehow managed not to disappear.
    Last edited by Fool; 04-06-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    STEW BEEF!

"Bullshit you weren't being inflamatory with a thread that said "Your state is shit and dead in 10 years. Deal with it! You'd know if you weren't deluding yourself over there in Michigan! I've got a better perspective here in Omaha." BTW, I always love the "its cold, people leave" in particular. Like it just happened yesterday that Michigan lost year round summer climate or something."

I know Senor Goshboots personally and I know that he harbors the desire to move back to the Great Lake State "when the time is right" for he and his family. Peculiar desire for a guy who thinks "Your State is shit!!"

Fingerbang, take a breath, step back, a re read my posts. They were NOT inflamatory.
    There is no need to get defensive. I never called Michigan shit.
    But, I do think people are lost in the past if they think this current situation is a "recession".
    This sir, is a pradigm shift. A way of life that built Michigan and supported it for over 100 years and is THE workhorse for the state is on life support, and the people standing around looking at the patient cannot WAIT to pull the plug.
    I would like you to address the realities of Michigan that you claim to know so well.
    And I get ALOT of information from my father and brother, who are second and third generation auto industry lifers, my friend, working and living in Detroit.

Fingerbang:
    Let's reset this thing. There's no need to get defensive. Prove Cowherd wrong.
    I started this thread because I thought it would be interesting (and THANK YOU for participating, by the way). It's got three variables: Four old, historic, and venerable franchises in one of America's oldest, most historic, and proudest cities. It's got personality in the form of a HIGLY RATED nationally syndicated radio talk show host questioning the viability of the teams in this city, which is suffering greatly.
    So I thought maybe there would be some participation, and discussion (yes, I knew it would get heated, as it can be a polarizing topic).
    So now, let's reset it:
    What do the members of this forum think? If you think Cowherd is off his rocker, let me know, and why. I'm not even interested in "statistics" and "data". I said the other day to Dr Tre that talking heads say things, make predictions, and relay info all the time that is wrong. Is this an instance of it, or not?
    I happen to think there is alot of merit to what he said. Population figures show the state of Michigan shrinking, and Detroit as well. In fact, since 1970, Michigan has lost, I believe, four electoral votes. Detroit has lost HALF it's population in 50 years. Is that skewed by white flight? Yes. People moved to the suburbs in droves.
    I think Cowherd is actually very right about one thing: The trend will continue, people want to go where they can get a good paying (or any) job, and they will leave areas which seem to have very little in the way of opportunity. Michigan and the Detroit are, right now, is the kind of place people are leaving. And yes, throw in the weather, and the rapidly developing southern part of the country, with jobs, jobs, jobs, and warm weather.
    Is it CRAZY to think of Detroit without the sports teams? FUCKIN A RIGHT MOTHERFUCKER! FUCK YEAH! I'LL KICK YER ASS IF YOU SAY THAT AGAIN!
    But is would probably have sounded REALLY FUCKIN INSANELY BIZARRELY WAY CRAZY to think that Ford, GM, and Chrysler would all be as solvent as, well, Zip Goshboots one day.
    I take that bakc. I think I'm in better financial shape than the "Big Three".

Don't worry. My next thread will be titled, "What kind of boogers does Rip Hamilton like to eat, and which kind does he stuff under his car seat while driving to a game"
    THAT should get the WTF rolling!

Detroit and the surrounding area may be shrinking and they may be having some economic difficulties but I don't think that will lead to these teams leaving in the near future. They have owners that understand the fans passion and understand that they'll still make a profit in this area no matter what. I mean, if the economy got bad enough that people stopped following Detroit sports, I think these franchises leaving would be the least of our concerns. But again, I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Is Detroit shrinking? Yes, but there are much smaller cities with sports franchises that are still chugging along and I am confident that we will do the same.

+ Reply to Thread