+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michigan spring practice

Michigan spring practice

Just thought I would pass on what the mods at Scout thought of Spring Practice today that was opened to the media.

-Eugene German, Chris Richards, and Carson Butler are no longer with the team.

-Quintin Patilla has moved to fullback.

-Some of the players he mentioned as being impressive thus far: Laterryal Savoy, Greg Mathews, Justin Boren, and Jonas Mouton

-Steve Schilling has practiced but will not participate in scrimmage. He is hopeful that the young OT will be back a week from Tuesday and says he will be a factor.

Practice Report

The addition of Vance Bedford has changed the defense in very tangible ways. It appears that the new defensive backs coach will take over the coaching duties for the entire unit. That in turn allows Ron English to roam from position group to position group. The players rave about Bedford's ability as a teacher and the positive impact of his return is already clear.

English's ability to move around allows more opportunities for individual instruction. On one occasion a DB made a mistake during an open field tackling drill. After seeing that, Bedford turned the drill over to English. Then he took the youngster off to the side to instruct him on proper technique.

Now to the players…

-This was one of the more edgy practices we've been too. The guys are hungry and there are a lot positions up for grabs. Those things combined to make things a bit chippy. There had to be seven or eight skirmishes on the day that drew flags from the officials and required coaches to separate the players. That's obviously not something that the coaches would want to see in a game, but when out of the view of their players…they had to be smiling. Things definitely were spirited.

-The best player on the field was Brandon Graham. I didn't watch him every play, but I never saw him blocked. He was absolutely ferocious on the bull rush, showed great quickness and speed on the stunt…he was downright dominant. There just wasn't an answer for him. He lined up in 5-tech (tackle) all day, but still is being used on the edge as well. He WILL be a playmaker up front.

-Will this be the year that Tim Jamison stays healthy? If it is, look out. Michigan hasn't had a youngster this quick off of the edge since David Bowens. He explodes out of his stance and is sometimes in the backfield before the tackle has a chance to open his hips. Jamison would have had at least two sacks and multiple hurries on the day if the quarterback were a live target.

-Another strong performer up front was Will Johnson. The former Lake Orion standout got good push up the middle. He has to be one of the strongest players on the team.

-Behind the line is where the defense had a few problems. Some of the holes didn't get filled as quickly as they needed to be. Other times backers took the wrong path on what appeared to be run blitzes. Johnny Thompson was the best of the bunch in the middle. His experience shows when comparing him to his competition. He can't get to every play, but he is physical and aggressive. The inexperience of his cohorts sometimes limits those traits in them. In the case of Austin Panter… he' going through a period of adjustment. He can run, but this game is a lot more physical, it moves faster, and the linemen are a lot bigger. It was good to see him step in there and fill a hole to stop a run for close to no gain on one occasion. Obi Ezeh is a nice looking athlete, but he is still learning too. But, that's what the spring is for.

-At the outside backer positions, the Wolverines are set. Chris Graham and Shawn Crable are outstanding athletes (as everyone already knows) and they make plays. Again…the Wolverines just have to find a guy in the middle.

-Steve Brown picked off a Chad Henne pass that was came right to him (miscommunication with the receiver). He clearly has more speed than any free safety we've seen around these parts. The guy just needs experience. He might take a few lumps en route to getting it, but by the end of the year he will be very good.

-At corner, Morgan Trent had a good day… continuing what has reportedly been a pretty good spring so far. The same can be said for Sears. Good pressure up front helps, and they weren't facing Mario Manningham. Still, it was encouraging.

-Carlos Brown made a great play on a quick slant. The former running back did a great job reading the pattern and jumped it as the receiver was making his break. That put Brown in perfect position to intercept the pass and return it for what would have been a sure touchdown. Otherwise, he still looks a bit tentative… which is something more experience and coaching will help him with.

-Doug Dutch had a nice outing in our first observation of him a CB. He was fluid in his back pedal and was shy about coming up and tackling. We didn't see him get tested deep, but his speed has never been a question. As is the case with Brown, it is just a case of him learning the position and utilizing better technique. The encouraging thing about him is there was very little tentative ness in his game. If he continues to progress, he could be a dependable option coming off the bench.

-Jamar Adams didn't participate Saturday, but it was clear that he is one of the leaders on D. There is a lot of excitement about how he will perform this year. Many expect him to be one of the top performers in the conference, if not the top.

-Artis Chambers has been a pleasant surprise this spring. He is not a guy that would test well at the combine, but when he gets on the field he just makes plays. He has a strong understanding of the game and will come up and lay the wood. He has turned heads.

-The first string on defense will be fine. The key for this year's club will be establishing depth. There is a lot of inexperience in the backup ranks and it shows when they're on the field. No team can afford to injuries, but they REALLY can't afford any on D this season.

On offense, the story was the running game.

Kevin Grady looked fast around the corner and was picking holes better. The new #24 was finishing runs and was much more decisive. He got around the corner, lowered his shoulder, and looked like the Grady we saw in high school. He delivered the blow most times he carried the ball, but the defense did get the better of him one time on the day. After breaking through the line, one of the linebackers wrapped his legs up…leaving him wide open for Anton Campbell. The fifth year senior then came downhill and exploded into Grady for one of a handful of big hits on the day.

- It was a very good day Brandon Minor as well. The big sophomore to be even managed to make a few moves in the backfield on a couple of runs when the D-line was able to get penetration.

-Ryan Mallett took most of the QB snaps on the day and looks like he is settling in nicely. We don't have to say anything about his arm. Observers were surprised most by the mobility he has at his size. He clearly isn't a scrambler, but he is not a statue in the backfield either.

-Greg Mathews ran precise routes, showed great hands, and had a burst. He plays faster than his forty time. He made a great grab on a post after beating the corner, and then got by the safety (who took a poor angle) for what would have been a TD.

-Quintin Patilla wasn't shy about blocking from his new position, but didn't show sure hands out of the backfield. He is still getting acclimated to being back on offense.

-With Carson Butler's departure Mike Massey is sorely needed. Martell Webb was in attendance today. Hopefully he'll be ready when the fall rolls around. The team just might need him.

-If Bryan Wright isn't the kicker, it will be a huge shock. The kid has a giant leg…as evidenced by the way he blasted balls through the uprights…sometimes when his competition was barely getting them over the crossbar. Wright resurrected memories of Hayden Epstein.

Recruits in attendance…

Trevor Robinson, Darren Williams, and Fred Smith.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Woohoo!
    Can you SMELL another 10-3 season guys?
    Man, I am HYPED!
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

I am excited Art...........there is nothing like Michigan Football and even though I told myself I wouldn't do this, I'm drunk and it's just fun to say.......

Everyone repeat after me............

FUCK YOU ZIP!!!!

*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

FUCK YOU ZIP!!!

+ Reply to Thread