+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tommy fired from UM

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    Wonderful news. Get a well-respected replacement in plenty of time to work with the kids that have signed LOI's and try and get them on the same page. Yes, we may lose some. As others have said, Manny is in either way. Grady likely stays because he has a tie to the football program as well. Legion may or may not stay. While some say he's a cancer, he still will be the most prepared of anyone in that class. He just finished a 40-some game schedule that included road games all over the country against big-time competition.

Either way, if they get an X's and O's coach, it won't matter if they lose Legion. They are instantly better just with the guys they have, because a good game coach will get far more out of that group. Another factor - if they do lose Legion it opens up another scholarship for the class of 08 which could fill some big needs.

Curious. Some have mentioned the possibility of Tubby Smith if he's ousted from Kentucky. I would think he could bring a lot of respect around these parts, already has a rivalry with State, and has recruited this area well (Joe Crawford and Draymond Green as examples). He may even bring Green with him. Just a thought. Tubby is a falling star but he has the jewelry and a change of scenery might be the thing for him. I really like some of the names being mentioned. Don't blow this Martin!
    if Kentucky fires Tubby they are honestly briandead. I dont think he has ever lost in the first round of the tourney!!! There is no way they let him go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2802320
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan basketball coach Tommy Amaker was fired Saturday following six seasons leading the program without an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Tommy Amaker arrived at Michigan in 2001 after four seasons at Seton Hall. He leaves after six seasons and three NIT bids -- but no trips to the NCAA Tournament. His Michigan record at a glance:
    Season Record Postseason
    2006-07 22-13 NIT
    2005-06 22-11 NIT finalist
    2004-05 13-18 None
    2003-04 23-11 NIT champ
    2002-03 18-12 Ineligible
    2001-02 11-18 None
    Total 109-83 3 NITs

"I'm not going to make excuses," Amaker said in an interview before he was scheduled to appear at a news conference.

According to ESPN.com's Andy Katz, some of the names up for consideration to replace Amaker include Washington State coach Tony Bennett, Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery, former Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, UNLV coach Lon Kruger, West Virginia coach John Beilein as well as ESPN analysts Rick Majerus and Steve Lavin.

Katz also reported that Kentucky coach Tubby Smith could be a candidate, if he's available.

Before this season started, Amaker said it was fair to expect the Wolverines to reach the NCAA Tournament. They ended up playing in the NIT for the third time in four years and were eliminated from that tournament two days ago.

Michigan was on probation for the first five years Amaker was coach there. He led the Wolverines to three NITs and Michigan won the NIT in 2004.

Amaker found out he was fired Saturday morning after meeting with athletic director Bill Martin. After that meeting, Amaker held a team meeting.

According to Katz, the general feeling is one of surprise that the decision and announcement came today.

"Letting Tommy go was the toughest decision I've had to make in seven years as athletic director," Martin told The Associated Press. "He took over a program that needed help, and he helped it in a lot of ways. But at Michigan, we have a tradition of winning Big Ten and national championships and we haven't been close to doing either in a lot of ways."

The Wolverines finished 22-13, with an 87-66 loss at Florida State on Thursday night.

"There were moments of delight and success [this season]," Martin said. "But we didn't make the NCAA Tournament and that was the goal. To that extent, it was a disappointment."

Amaker's career record at Michigan was 109-83 overall -- with three 20-win seasons -- and 43-53 in the Big Ten.

He was under contract through the 2010-11 season, but the school could fire him without cause by giving him $900,000, according to his contract, which was obtained last week by the AP in a Freedom of Information Act request.

Amaker had to be employed as Michigan's coach on March 31, 2011, to earn a deferred-compensation package after the school's annual contributions of $100,000. By firing him, the school keeps the invested money, according to the contract.

Michigan hired Amaker on March 29, 2001, after firing Brian Ellerbe.

He inherited a mess, stemming from the Ed Martin scandal, the school's lackluster facilities and Ellerbe's awful recruiting.

Martin, a now-deceased former booster, told the federal government he lent $616,000 to ex-Wolverines Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock in what the NCAA said was the largest financial scandal in its history.

Michigan was 18-12 overall and 10-6 during the 2002-03 season -- Amaker's second year -- but the Wolverines were ineligible for the postseason because of NCAA sanctions.

In four seasons at Seton Hall, Amaker led the Pirates to a 68-55 record, a trip to the round of 16 in the 2000 NCAA Tournament and three NIT bids.

The native of Falls Church, Va., spent nine years on Mike Krzyzewski's staff at Duke, where he was a four-year starter in the mid-1980s.

Amaker's wife, Dr. Stephanie Pinder-Amaker, is the University of Michigan's associate dean of students.

Martin said he had a list of candidates but declined to identify any of the coaches.

"Michigan's basketball opening is going to be a highly sought after job," he said. "I want to move as quickly as I can, but some of the coaches we're might be interested in are still coaching in the NCAA Tournament."
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Yeah I know he is a possibility...but like I was saying...Kentucky would be insane to let him go...Who are they going to get that is an upgrade?

I never know how much to trust what Legion syays, but here's an article from the Detroit News -
    Top recruit is sticking with Michigan

Eric Lacy / The Detroit News

Alex Legion, one of Michigan's top recruits for next season, said on Saturday that he's sticking with the program despite the firing of coach Tommy Amaker.

"I'm still committed to Michigan, as long as I have players around me like (incoming recruit) Corperryale Harris and (current player) DeShawn Sims," Legion said.

Still, Legion -- a 6-foot-5 guard out Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. -- had strong feelings about Amaker's firing.

"I'm surprised, shocked and disappointed," Legion said. "Coach Amaker is the coach I wanted to play for."

Legion said that Amaker called Saturday morning to tell him about the firing and encouraged him to stay at Michigan to help turn the program around.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

What has Tubby Smith done since he won that championship with Pitino's players?
    I think a guy who took over at a loaded Kentucky, a traditional basketball power, and hasn't done squat there has more to explain than Tommy A at Michigan.
    It's time to go after some new blood.
    Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois?
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

i wouldnt be upset with tubby, but i agree. i'd rather get some someone on the way up than someone on the way down.

tubby wouldnt be bad though, if he got us into the tourney and maybe out of the first weekend. that seems like a realistic possibility. but how many years would he be here?

I am living in Kentucky and I can tell you that Tubby is not going to UM.

BTW the biggest rap on Tubby is his ability to recruit.

D. Sims and Udoh are the 2 guys on the current squad we need to keep an eye on. I doubt Sims goes anyplace, but Udoh has a lot of his friends playing at Oklahoma State so he could end up there.

I personally think it was time and it was worth the risk of losing Legion and Manny.

TA cannot coach...he belongs as Coach K's assistant.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Amaker just has to realize the benefits of sitting next to Rat Faced Fuck.
    First of all, he'll never have to argue with a ref about a bad call.
    Second, it's a lifetime of anal sex with Dick Vitale.
    Man, I wonder why they had to FIRE Amaker!
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Bluesam from Scouts says that he expects one of the recruits to ask for his release tomorrow at the soonest, but fairly soon.

Does not mean UM will still not land him, but it opens up a chance for him to go talk to other coaches.

I believe it is Legion, but it has not been confirmed.

BTW Manny won Mr. Baskbetball. TA let that cat out of the bag that the PA.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Early word is that it sounds like Legion and Harris are going to stay.

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=653929

Legion-"I was shocked, surprised and hurt, because Coach Amaker was the coach I wanted to play for," Legion (6-4, Rivals.com's No. 45 senior) said in the hours after the news broke. "But I committed to Michigan. As long as Manny, Kelvin, DeShawn and Ekpe are there, I don't know why we can't go there and still make a difference."

Legion on Manny from Amaker-"First he told me he was Mr. Basketball," said Legion in letting the cat out of the bag about Monday's impending announcement. "Then he's told me he's still coming as well. He said the same thing – 'if we all stay, I don't see why we can't do it ourselves [with a new coach]."

The article also says that Grady might possibly go the football route now.

If Manny, Legion, Udoh, and Sims stay and we bring in a solid coach, I will be loving life.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

+ Reply to Thread