+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 - News from around the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kitna
    We're going to win 13 games now.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    R.I.P. NFL Europe, the NFL just killed it

Hard to believe it lasted 16 years.
    Find a new slant.

It did? I could have sworn it was only 6 or 7 meaningless years. I'm sad for all those fans of the Rhein Fire, or whatever else there was. Barcelona Dragons? Yes? No?
    Maybe this will help Mark Cuban get his league off the ground, now that 300 below average players are out of a job.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

All-Pro linebacker Briggs signs one-year tender offer

Two-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, who was unable this spring to reach a long-term deal with the Chicago Bears as a designated franchise player, on Wednesday agreed to sign the one-year qualifying offer of $7.206 million that accompanies the tag, and report to camp on Thursday.
    Chicago will advance Briggs, who had earlier threatened to sit out until the 10th week of the season, $1 million of the $7.206 million. More important, the Bears have agreed that they will not use a franchise marker in 2008 on Briggs, to again limit his mobility, provided that he participates in 75 percent of the defensive snaps this season.
    Briggs, 26, has averaged nearly 90 percent of the defensive snaps the past three years.
    So if Briggs remains healthy through the season, and reaches the same playing time levels that he has in recent seasons, Chicago will not be able to keep him off the unrestricted free agent market next spring.
    "Lance decided it was in his best interests, and those of the Bears, to play football in 2007, and to be in camp on time preparing to do so," agent Drew Rosenhaus said Monday evening. "He wants to create the most positive atmosphere possible for himself, and he did not want this to be a distraction to the team. It's a good compromise for everyone involved."
    A four-year veteran, Briggs has chafed much of the offseason at being designated as the Bears' franchise player. After rejecting a seven-year, $33 million contract extension last spring, Briggs had sought a long-term deal again in recent months. Bears officials, though, were steadfast in maintaining that they would not offer a multiple-year deal, and that Briggs' lone option was to sign the franchise tender.
    In an interview with ESPN.com in March, Briggs didn't mince words about Chicago, the Bears and his teammates.
    "There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs said. "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."
    Briggs was adamant about his future of playing for the Bears in 2007.
    "Whatever options are available to me, I'll take advantage of them. But going back and playing for the Bears again, no, I don't see that as an option. Not one more day. Not at all."
    Chicago balked at a long-term deal for Briggs, in part because the Bears' organization has already committed $6 million-$7 million per year to five-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker Brian Urlacher. Although the Bears invested heavily to sign both starting cornerbacks, Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman to long-term deals within the past month, the club did not place a similar priority on the linebacker position.
    The Bears' coaches also feel that a pair of young linebackers, second-year veteran Jamar Williams and rookie Michael Okwo, could soon be ready to move into the lineup. Both are projected as potential replacements for Briggs at weakside linebacker if he departs after the 2007 campaign.
    Rosenhaus said that his client considered accepting the same arrangement from the Bears -- a one-year deal with the promise that the franchise tag wouldn't be used again in '08 -- earlier in the spring. But Briggs held out some hope that a trade could be consummated, and the Bears did negotiate with the Washington Redskins on a deal in March and April. The two sides were unable, though, to consummate a trade.
    When he was in Chicago negotiating a contract for first-round tight end Greg Olsen three weeks ago, Rosenhaus re-opened dialogue with Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo about Briggs, and talks continued, finally resulting in Wednesday's accommodation.
    "Once we got beyond the July 16 deadline [for franchise players to sign multi-year deals]," Rosenhaus said, "this was the best option. At that point, the Bears couldn't sign Lance to a long-term contract, and neither could any other team that acquired him in a trade. And so we tried to make this work, because, under that scenario, he wanted to remain with the Bears. And it's been my experience that players who hold out from camp tend to not play as well. This allows Lance to have another great season, and then we'll see what happens."
    The agreement with Briggs means that just one of the original seven franchise players this year, New England cornerback Asante Samuel, does not have a contract.
    Three of the players -- Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney (six years, $72 million), New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant (seven years, $63 million) and Detroit defensive tackle Cory Redding (seven years, $49 million), signed long-term contracts. In addition to Briggs, Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith ($8.64 million) and Seattle kicker Josh Brown ($2.078 million) signed their one-year tenders. Neither Brown nor Smith elicited from their teams a stipulation precluding use of the franchise tag again in 2008.
    Debate between the Bears and Briggs grew heated at times this spring, with the linebacker telling ESPN.com at one point that he would never play for the team again. He eventually softened that stance, but then adopted the position that he would not report until the 10th week, which would still permit him to gain a season toward the pension plan.
    A former University of Arizona standout, Briggs was chosen by the Bears in the third round of the 2003 draft. He earned a starting job as a rookie, emerged by his third season as one of the NFL's top young weakside linebackers, and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in each of the past two seasons.
    In 64 games, Briggs, one of the game's best all-around weakside 'backers, has 441 tackles, 3 ½ sacks, six interceptions, 29 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and three recoveries.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Bulger remains in St. Louis with six-year deal

ST. LOUIS -- Marc Bulger's numbers put him in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks, and now he has a contract to match.
    As first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the St. Louis Rams signed the two-time Pro Bowler to a six-year, $65 million contract extension Friday that makes him the highest-paid player in franchise history. The contract includes $27 million in guaranteed money.
    With a $10.25 million average salary, Bulger's new contract places him in elite company, just behind Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Tom Brady and Brett Favre as quarterbacks who make $10 million or more on average per year.
    Full story

Blog Entries
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2954719

Bill Walsh dies at 75; led 49ers to three Super Bowl titles

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: July 30, 2007, 3:21 PM ET

Bill Walsh, who guided the San Francisco 49ers to three Super Bowl championships and six NFC West division titles in his 10 years as head coach, has died at the age of 75.

Walsh died early Monday following a long battle with leukemia, according to Stanford University, where he served as coach and athletic director.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Tim Couch signed with the Jags for his comeback attempt.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Tim Couch signed with the Jags for his comeback attempt.
    That's as good a place as any for him. Their QB situation is very up in the air. By the time he works himself back into 100% football shape and learns the playbook, Leftwich may have played himself out of the starting spot. The only place that could be better, off the top of my head, would be Atlanta. Couch versus Harrington for the starting spot.

Bronco Bly burned (by Kircus), and booed by fans
    Posted by Bill Emkow August 03, 2007 08:49AM
    Categories: Former Players
    Leaving Detroit, Dre Bly's popularity rating wasn't exactly sky high. Now that he's in Denver, it doesn't appear he's starting off on the right foot.

August 3, Associated Press: "It happens, it happens," the Denver Broncos' cornerback said Thursday after getting beaten for big receptions by backup receivers David Kircus and Brian Clark. "Shoot, I'm human, you know what I'm saying? You're entitled to give up a pass here and there, it happens, even though the fans might be disappointed. I'm new. But it happens.

"I'll tell you what, you won't make a living doing that on me," Bly added. "You're entitled to have a day where them guys make plays, and that's what it is."

Bly even had to handle some heckling from a fan who hollered, "Go back to Detroit!"

Quote Originally Posted by freep
    BLY BOOED: Broncos fan to former Lions CB: 'Go back to Detroit'
    August 3, 2007

By ARNIE STAPLETON

AP Sports Writer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Dre’ Bly got burned and then he got booed.

One thing he didn’t get was bullied.

“It happens, it happens,” the Denver Broncos’ cornerback said Thursday after getting beaten for big receptions by backup receivers David Kircus and Brian Clark. “Shoot, I’m human, you know what I’m saying? You’re entitled to give up a pass here and there, it happens, even though the fans might be disappointed. I’m new. But it happens.

“I’ll tell you what, you won’t make a living doing that on me,” Bly added. “You’re entitled to have a day where them guys make plays, and that’s what it is.”

Bly even had to handle some heckling from a fan who hollered, “Go back to Detroit!”

Bly spun and looked at the man, then shook his head and shook it off.

“They paid me money to come here. Everybody’s been talking about me and Champ (Bailey) making plays and they see me give up a play or two, they don’t want to see that. It’s understood. They have expectations just like I do, but everybody is competing just like I am, and they’re going to make plays from time to time.”

The Broncos acquired Bly in the offseason, teaming him with Bailey, a perennial Pro Bowler, to create one of the top tandems in the NFL.

Bly, whose 33 interceptions are fourth-most in the league since 1999, has long wanted to play with his friend Bailey, who led the league with 11 takeaways last season, including a career-best 10 interceptions.

Both ninth-year players are eager to see how many passes they can intercept now.
    With Bly on board, Bailey, who finished second in Defensive Player of the Year voting, thinks he can top his 2006 season and get tested by quarterbacks more often.

“I have to get more (chances) than last year,” Bailey said. “With Dre’ on the other side, we’re going to make plays. Last year, I picked about a third of the balls (thrown my way). Some quarterbacks don’t care. There are a lot of young quarterbacks that think they can do it, so I’m all for it.”

Bly, 29, thinks he’s the one that’s going to get more balls thrown his way.
    “They’re not going to throw the ball (to Bailey). This dude will intercept 18, 19 balls,” Bly said. “He’s got 39 career picks, I have 33, so they’re going to come to the guy with the lesser amount of picks. So I’ve got a chance to get eight or nine picks, career high.”

Actually, the one that might find himself a frequent target is nickel back Domonique Foxworth.

The Broncos obtained Bly from the Lions for running back Tatum Bell, offensive lineman George Foster and a fifth-round draft pick after the death of starting cornerback Darrent Williams.

The team is eager to display a new dynamic in the secondary. Because both Bailey and Bly can lock down receivers, defensive boss Jim Bates is planning new blitz packages in Denver’s revamped unit that features a new middle linebacker in D.J. Williams and three rookie draft picks competing for playing time on the line.

For the past couple of seasons in Detroit, Bly said he was miscast in the Lions’ cover-2 scheme in which the wiry 188-pounder played more like a linebacker.

“This defense, which is an aggressive style, puts you in a position to make plays.

That’s the kind of corner I am, and I look forward to the challenge,” Bly said.
    Before Thursday’s performance, Bly had matched Bailey play-for-play this week. He got kicked in his right shin but wouldn’t use that as an excuse.

“Today just happened to be a day where I gave up a few plays. But like I said, you won’t make no living doing that,” Bly said. “I’m not saying it won’t happen in a game, it probably will, but you don’t make livings on me like that.”
    dropping bly was one of matt millen's few good moves. a cb who throws his qb under the buss and routinely makes terrible gambles so he can pad his int stats is not someone i need on my team. good luck in denver, dre.

+ Reply to Thread