+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fraserburn's Friday Plus/Minus

Fraserburn's Friday Plus/Minus

Welcome to Fraserburn's Weekly Friday Plus/Minus

a pat on the back or a kick to the ass of the NHL for the week

March 9, 2007

A PLUS goes to the Nashville Predators for getting at least a point in their last 9 straight games. They won a decisive victory last night over the Calgary Flames 6-3 to slightly extend their League-Wide Points lead

A PLUS goes to Brian Burke and the NHL for the idea to do a Trade Deadline Diary. Essentially it was a look inside the War Room at the goings on of a GM and team on NHL Trade Deadline day. he may have ruffled some feathers in the GM fraternity, but this is great for the NHL lets hope it continues

a MINUS goes to soon to be Former New York Islander Chris Simon
    After being sent hard into the boards by NYR forward Ryan Hullwig Simon saw red and went lookin for blood, by two-handing hullwig in the chin with his stick. He recieved a match penalty for his coniption and likely a suspension for the rest of this year + playoffs + considerable time next season. Absolutely disgusting move and another black eye on the already black and blue NHL

And finally an obvious MINUS goes to TED SASKIN. You take over the NHLPA under dubious circumstances after Goodenow stepped down. Then you have a lawsuit set on you buy upset NHLPA Members including Chris Chelios and Dwayne Roloson and NOW you are accused of tampering with the NHLPA email system. Resign or be fired, either way BE GONE
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, this is a good read (clever name too).

I'll read it every week if you continue with it.
    Find a new slant.

I just watched the video of the hit on ESPN.com. That was the worst I have ever seen. It wasn't even reactionary. He waited for the guy to skate back by and just two handed him to the throat area. He should be gone this year and next.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

It may not be a bad time for the league to set an example and just boot his ass. It could be there way of saying, "We don't mind the rough stuff, but keep it sane!" I mean come on, man. Drop the gloves like a man, don't lay the lumber on his face like a punk!

Sorry I missed last weeks +/-
    I blame the combination of March Madness and St Patrick's Day

it will return this coming Friday

You missed it again!

Blog Entries
    Sequels are always hard to pull off well.

This is like Weekend at Bernie's 2.

I think Fraseburn can do it.
    I miss the Plus Minus myself.
    There are those of us who LIVE to put the biscuit in the basket, as it were.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Ya ya ya so i missed another deadline, you sound like my boss

After a 2-week Hiatus the Plus Minus is back!

March 30, 2007

3 Plus's this week to go with the 1 minus. What can I say i'm in a good mood.

Don't expect this to happen all that Hofften, but a PLUS goes to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman for his strong stance on fighting after recent questions about its place in the game. He came out with a statement that looked as though it should have been written for Don Cherry it was quite the odd experience to hear Cherry coming out of that weasels mouth.

A PLUS goes to workhorse goaltender Roberto Luongo who by this point in the season has started in 70 games, Tied for 1st in the league with 44 wins (The Canucks as a team have 45) he has a 2.29 GAA and a .922 save %
    Both he and Brodeur are 3 Wins away from what would be an Asterisk Record. 47 Wins in a season is the NHL all time high set by Flyeres Bernie Parent back in the day when there were ties not shootout wins. Luongo to his credit doesnt count what he's done since he cant get ties.

A well deserved PLUS also goes to Habs Rookie goaltender Jaroslav Halak, who due to injuries with Cristobal Huet and the general all around suckitude of Aebischer, has been forced into the starters role in the teams drive to make the playoffs. Halak is 8-4-0 and has been between the pipes for 5 straight victories and posted blazing stats 5-0-0, 1.97, .939 in last 5 GPI.
    Montreal is in 8th with 86 points.

And finally a MINUS and you should be used to this goes to who else? Gary Bettman and his NHL Board for denying NHL player involvement in a proposed 8 game Summit Series between Russia and Canada to honor the Original Summit Series and to breathe life back into the game internationally. The NHL is missing a HUGE opportunity to gain fan interest in the game in such a huge international showcase. I know we're not in a cold war anymore but the rivalry is still there. Get with the program.

Thats it for this week

Cheers

Why in the hell would you deny NHL involvement in that?

+ Reply to Thread