+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Partial DEMF lineup announced

Just kickin' back on the seven seas of smoothness.

Partial DEMF lineup announced

Finally we've got some festival organizers on top of things and they've already released a partial lineup for Memorial Day weekend...

Detroit's Electronic Music Festival 2007 to showcase rare performances by legendary Detroit artists
    Moodymann, Model 500, and Jeff Mills

Movement 07, Detroit's Electronic Music Festival will feature performances by legendary Detroit artists Moodymann live featuring Pitch Black City; Model 500 featuring the godfather of Detroit Techno Juan Atkins; and Jeff Mills, the longtime hard hitting "wizard" of Detroit Techno. The festival will take place Memorial Day weekend May 26-28 at its home in Downtown Detroit's Hart Plaza.

Moodymann (Kenny Dixon Jr.) is a Detroit techno/house artist known for his innovative use of reworked riffs, samples and grooves taken from the City's historically influential jazz, soul, funk and disco scene. Rarely appearing live, his headlining performance at the festival is the first show in support of his upcoming studio album and will include a full stage show with a band.

Juan Atkins, who is widely regarded as the godfather of Techno, began in the 1980s recording what stands as perhaps the most influential body of work within the genre. Model 500 will headline the main stage on Sunday at the festival, highlighting the continuing influence of his music on a global scale.

Jeff Mills is a planetary superstar of techno, an unwearied hero of mega-events and an ace of the three-deck mix; his musical touch has been a force on this city's dance scene for over 20 years. Jeff returns to Detroit to headline the festival with a main stage closing performance on Monday night.

Other 2007 special performances include German producers Booka Shade, who have earned a reputation as one of the world's most exciting live electronic music acts. Their performance at the 2007 festival will mark Booka Shade's first appearance in Detroit. Also performing live will be Octave One, featuring Detroit natives, brothers Lenny and Lawrence Burden, who have released groundbreaking underground dance anthems on their Detroit-based record label, 430 West Records.

In addition to Moodymann featuring Pitch Black City, Model 500, Jeff Mills, Booka Shade, and Octave One, the 2007 festival will feature the following artists (more artists to be announced):

A Guy Called Gerald - live
    Abe Duque & Blake Baxter - live
    Baby Ford & Zip
    Booka Shade - live - First time in Detroit
    Brian Sanhaji - live
    Butane - live
    Christian Smith
    Claude VonStroke
    Damian Lazarus
    D. Diggler- live - First time in Detroit
    Different World (Claude Young & Takasi Nakajima) - live
    Digitaline - live - First time in Detroit
    Gui Borrato - live - First time in Detroit
    Guido Schneider - live - First time in Detroit
    Hardfloor - live - First time in Detroit
    Heidi
    Jeff Mills
    Kate Simko - live
    King Britt
    Mirko // Lazy Fat People
    Loco Dice
    Losoul - live - First time in Detroit
    Luciano
    Marco Carola
    Mathew Jonson - live
    Michael Mayer
    Mistress Barbara
    Model 500 - live featuring Juan Atkins
    Monolake - live
    Moodymann - live featuring Pitch Black City
    Octave One featuring Random Noise Generation - live
    Onur Ozer - live - First time in Detroit
    Paco Osuna - live - First time in Detroit
    Pepo Lanzoni
    Pole - live
    Rhythm & Sound - 6 hour dj/live with vocalists
    Richie Hawtin
    Robert Rich - live
    Sassmouth
    Scan 7 - live
    Steve Bug
    Anthony Shake Shakir
    Stacey Pullen
    Vladislav Delay - live

more to be announced.....

www.demf.com

There are some serious heavy hitters on here mainly..

Harfloor (Live). These guys are kind of techno legends and have NEVER played in detroit.

Rhythm & Sound (live w/vocalist). If you're into dub reggae, you will love these guys. Again, these guys are legendary and the mere fact that they are playing for 6 hours is incredible.

There's others, but these two acts alone have me all excited about the DEMF for a change.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    I have seen Hardfloor live three times, they flat out rock. In general that list looks like a page out of my record collection. Jeff Mills is also not to be missed, and I havent seen Different World but Ive seen Claude Young who is very very good. Richie Hawtin is god in my book. Last time I saw Marco Carola he still hadnt figured out how to mix, he wrecks a lot. That was about four years ago so maybe he has gotten better, he is a very good producer though. I think Ill have to make it out there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    I have seen Hardfloor live three times, they flat out rock. In general that list looks like a page out of my record collection. Jeff Mills is also not to be missed, and I havent seen Different World but Ive seen Claude Young who is very very good. Richie Hawtin is god in my book. Last time I saw Marco Carola he still hadnt figured out how to mix, he wrecks a lot. That was about four years ago so maybe he has gotten better, he is a very good producer though. I think Ill have to make it out there this year.
    You've seen Hardfloor live? Where and when?

I saw Oliver Bondzio DJ back in like '95, but I've never seen them live.

I gotta say that I don't want to see them use laptops, I want to see Hardloor of old where they went to town on their 303's.

*on a side note, did you know that Ramon Zenker was one of the producers on the "elevator up and down" song?

Anyway, I don't really get too pumped up to see Hawtin anymore. I think he had his moment already, now he's just cashing in on being a rock start and topping DJ lists. I thought if there was anyone that could be big time and not get caught up into that stuff it would be him, but obviously not.

I guess when Mills played at 5th Ave a couple weeks age, he wrecked shop. Mills can be hit or miss IMHO.

Carolla is a badass DJ, hands down. When he played at the Necto a couple years back, he was running 3 decks really smooth. I think he's a very good dj.

i'm still all pumped up for Rhythm & Sound (aka Basic Channel) live.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    I saw Hardfloor in Chicago twice, around 99 and 00 or 01.. I cant remember exactly where else. Cincy, Pittsburgh? Somewhere to the East. The 99 concert in Chicago was insane, it actually rained inside and when all was done at 6am the security had to move about 300 people still waiting in line out of the way so we all could leave. Ive also seen Bondzio DJ, obviously not the same but he was good.

Personally Ive never seen a bad Mills set but I guess anybody has their bad days. Good to hear Carolla got better, it always depressed me to hear him wreck considering I like his records so much. Hawtin doesnt rock it like he used to, Ive seen him 20+ times and his best was from about 96-02 IMO. He still plays good sets, just hard to catch him spinning anything but downtempo now. I dont think his head got overinflated though, Ive met him a number of times and he was always down to Earth and quite humble. With age comes calmer music lol.

Mills played like complete ass in Kalamazoo a few years ago and the 1st time he played the festival.

As far as Hawtin goes, his head is totally inflated nowadays. Actually, ever since he decided to worry more about how his hair looks during his set, he hasn't been the same. He never used to be the type that needed a physical spotlight shined on him while he was playing, sometimes option to hardly been seen at all. Now, he sends out e-mails to be ranked higher on the top dj list and is all about the superstar lifestyle. But whatever, he's earned the right to do that, but I'm just saying that I don't have to like it.

+ Reply to Thread