+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 130
1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Football recruiting - class of 08

Football recruiting - class of 08

(as promised)

Yes, I've been known to jump the gun, however we all know that recruioting for that class started long ago. In Michigan's case they already have their first commit. In State's case, they got Corey Johnson a while back. Great starts for both schools.

More importantly, we can look at current rosters and, given the class of 2007 we can break down the biggest priorities for the respective classes of 2008. In Michigan's case there will be a HUGE need at OL. It was an area of significant need this season and they landed one of the best centers and a project tackle. It will be vital to land at least 4 next season, as many as 6 or 7, and 2 better be 4 star guys or else it will be a bad class for the OL and it will hurt Michigan. I think State's biggest need will be QB. They had a solid class this year by MSU standards, but after being so close on so many QB's (Nichol, Fanuzzi, Marve, Simms, etc) they still don't have a replacement-in-training for Hoyer's job. I'm not sure if Dantonio likes the JUCO players as much as JLS did, but I think that would be a good route for a stop-gap year. Get a guy with a little more experience that runs a system similar to what Dantonio runs.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Corey Johnson - No offer yet from the new staff. Has said that his recruitment will restart in spring.

And QB - may not be a need, MSU is going after Nick Foles - 6'5" 240 pound kid(who can 360 dunk BTW, and is a low major BBall player) who has the 2nd strongest arm in Texas(behind Mr. Mallett). Led Austin Westlake to the State Finals, and broke Drew Brees' record for passing yards there. Tore his labrum like Brees, during his senior season(played through it), but had the surgery(same doctor as Brees). Likely to visit MSU this weekend/late in the week.

Otherwise (preattrition) -
    QB - depend on Foles. (0-1)
    RB - Probably 1, targeting the big 3 in state 1st(Gray, Lark, don't remember the other kid).
    FB - probably looking for a true one. (0-1, most likely 1)
    WR - Looking at Ingram Jr. among others (1-2)
    TE - Tiree Eure is going to prep, had MSU in his top 3(with WVU and Pitt) (1-2)
    OL - Most of the big guys in the MI/OH area came in for Junior day, O'Neill, Khoury, etc. (3-5)
    DL - Many of the big guys came in here too, some OL's could also play DL (2-4)
    LB - Huge need next year(Elliot coming could abate that some), (3-4)
    CB - Need bodies still, but won't lose anybody via graduation (1-2)
    S - Will probably need a couple (2-3)

ST's - none

My early look at the '08 class.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Ok, as I mentioned Michigan will be in desperate need of OL next season. That recruiting class has been getting the normal Michigan vibe. Every year half of the top 100 mentions Michigan among their leaders, along with Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame and USC. We come in 2nd or 3rd place for most of them, so I never read too much into it.

However, after the horrible year of instate recruiting that just ended, the fact that the one guy instate who is a preseason All-American has already committed to UM is an amazing start. Tie up Jonas Gray and we've covered the names to know for instate recruiting for UM. Most of their interest will be abroad beyond that. However, I strongly recommend healing some of the ties that seem to have shown signs of wear this year.

I've seen some early numbers for next year's class and it could end up being one of the largest Michigan has had. Part of that is due to the fact that this year's class will be a few scholarships shy of what it could have been. Another part is due to the fact that there was only 1 early departure - Alan Branch. Henne, Hart, Long, Crable, etc sticking around leaves their schollies opening up. There could be some early departures after next season - most notably Manningham and Terrance Taylor.

Anyhow, I've seen as high as 26 scholarships available for next season. I haven't seen anything final though.

Five Clas of 2008 Offensive Linemen Michigan fans should listen for

Mike Adams, Ohio
    Zebrie Sanders, Ohio
    JB Shugarts, Texas
    Bruce Givens, Colorado
    Matt Meyer, California

We're in with these guys right now. I expect Adams to likely end up at Ohio State. Meyer will probably stay out west. After that, I think we have a decent shot with the other 3. I've heard Shugarts name the most, indicating he's probably the top priority of the bunch.

It should be a good year for DL and LB too. Hopefully a number of these kids were paying attnetion to Michigan's first 11 weeks of front 7 play.

You meane, when they were SOOO good against the likes of Indiana and Northwestern?
    The key is going to be the departure of Lloyd Carr. Carr could recruit 97 of the top 100, and still they'd be 9-3 every year. The problem at UM has NEVER been talent. And it never will be.
    What happens with that talent when it lands in Ann Arbor is where things start to go wrong.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Zip...I feel ya most of the time...but let's keep this threat about RECRUITING, not about Zip Goshboot's crazy posting skills and hatred of Lloyd.

Jick:
    OK, that's a deal.
    But I can't rule out going completely bonkers again next year right before signing day.
    Sometimes, the tension just gets to be too much.

(I moved CMU stuff to the other recruiting thread since this is Class of 08 stuff)

I hate spamming other message board, but I think that a lot of you guys that follow recruiting will enjoy this.

http://www.footballhaven.org/testfor...ead.php?t=9782

That is the 2008 class all broken down...check it out.

There's one name I didn't see on that list, and it's probably not on the list for the same reason I'm about to state: I can't remember the kids name.
    Anyway, he's an O-Lineman out of Nebraska, a guy UM has offered. He's out of Elkhorn, Neb, and goes about 8'7 and 639 lbs. Huge and fast, and many in Nebraska think he is better than Baker Stienkhuler who committed to Nebraska.
    They grow their honkey's big in Nebraska, the Corn built their national championship teams mostly with O-Linemen and D-Linemen from Nebraska.
    This would be a nice recruit for Michigan, the kid has stated he's pretty anxious to see Ann Arbor.
    A couple years ago the Corn stole Chris Patrick from Michigan, and he's a starter on their O-Line. Time for some payback.

+ Reply to Thread