+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Flopping......?

Thumbs up Farewell to Flopping......?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2742835

this is fantastic news. i know it would be really hard to judge (only because today's refs are ridiculously gullible and stupid) but i'm definitely in favor of this.

you can't drive to the hoop anymore because of floppers. you can't make any sort of agressive moves upcourt either because some flopper is going to jump in your way and flop, and get a foul on YOU!

it's ridiculous. i feel a charge should only get called if a player is TOTALLY out of control ('player control foul' it used to be called) or if he blatantly elbows, pushes off, or 'charges' his way into the defender.

other than that, cut it out with the ridiculous charge calls. a player should not be rewarded for simply getting in the way of another player and diving. that is not defense, that's bullshit.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Actually this is great news. Defensive flopping is not as strong as it used to be w/o any touching rules. If anything its a win for the offensive guys like Wade and Lebron. I respect how Stern waits until he's completely slighted the game towards offense before stepping down harder on defensive advantages. I take it there hasn't been enough scoring this year. Ok i'm lying, i dont respect it.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

well i agree and wish they would ease up on the touch fouls against offensive players too. overall they need to let players play more instead of blowing whistles for touch fouls.

but i just think that flopping is a disgraceful thing and it dishonors the game and makes it extremely frustrating to watch. sure there's always been flopping, but it's 1000 times worse now then ever before.

and in years past it was a player exagerating on the contact and making it seem worse than it was. now there's almost no contact and yet they react even worse.

i know defenders now are so handcuffed because of the rules that they take it upon themselves to seek out any possible advantage. that is aprt of the reason flopping is up.

but still- it is shameful than grown men would react as if someone clobbered them with a sledgehammer when there is the slightest contact.

if i were out there, i'd give them a reason to go tumbling to the floor like that. they're like a bunch of girls out there FCOL.

no i apologise- the wnba allows rougher play than the nba, and wnba players deal with more physical contact better then nba players do.

flopping does dishonor the game. but most of it occurs on offense and i doubt they do much to stop it. Furthermore, you're forgetting the main reason it won't work...Its a judgement call. Meaning that its up to the refs. Just last night Rip got a flagrant for bumping into Derek anderson going for a steal on a judgement call. Its never good news when then nba is giving more and more power to the refs to supposedly clean up the league as they see fit.
    ^

Isn't there a minor penalty in the NHL if you flop? Looks like the NBA might be following their lead.

if they wanted to do that, they'd allow scuffles.
    ^

you're right GG. except that perhaps with the threat of being whistled for flopping, players might do it less than they do now.....

you're right though- nba refs stink and i don't really want to give them more power and responsibility; they already have too much.

i wish we could have streetball rules; no refs, call your own fouls. sure there'd be some scuffles now and then but it's a man's game. they'd deal with it and move on.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Flops piss me off, but I detest anything that gives the refs more power. They are bad enough now. Lets just play NBA ball on ice and have judges.

An Open Letter to Mr. Stern
    by Manu Ginobili

Dear Mr. Stern.

You're a piece of horseshit.

Sincerely,
    Manu

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    What we need is a no-Flip rule.

+ Reply to Thread