+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official LOL@the Raiders thread

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Garcia would be a huge mistake for the Raiders. his arm strength is shot and Moss wouldn't catch a pass over 40 yards. Oakland could pull a AP, Troy Smith combo though, if they wanted to.
    We'd still do that garcia or not. If we grabbed Garcia, there would be no assured theme of him starting or us passing on troy smith. Again though I highly doubt he's on our radar, he's not the type of qb Lane Kiffin would want IMO. In fact I think we look at a pocket qb vet, or stick with Brooks and Walter(which I have no problem with). As far as troy smith goes, i'd rather draft a defensive player after Peterson. But we'll see what Al and Kiffin talk about and what the final say is.

Cleveland Browns anyone?
    he was average there, but not as bad as he was in detroit by any means.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    SCORCHING!!

This is long, but highly recommended.

Probably just the media hating on the Raiders again for no reason, right Gutz?

Too bad they didn't pick the Lions for their series on bad franchises, they went with the Raiders, Knicks, Blues, Orioles (one for each sport).

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=168848

Bad franchises: Blame the Raiders' mess on Al Davis

Paul Attner
    Sporting News

He arrives at the Raiders' practice complex, frequently at night, after most everyone has left. His driver opens the door for him and starts the laborious process of getting Al Davis out of his car and into his office. The driver takes Davis' weakened legs and turns them toward the pavement, then pulls him up so he can put his hands on his walker. Then Davis moves through the dark, slowly, methodically, until he disappears behind the doors at the center of Raider Nation.

The man who once would show off his vigor at league meetings by having workout equipment delivered to his room has seen his body fail him these past few years, just as his franchise, the one he has controlled and manipulated for the past 43 seasons, likewise has deteriorated. The once proud and arrogant Raiders -- winners of three Super Bowls, the self-proclaimed "Team of the Decades" -- now are contenders for another title: worst franchise in pro sports.

And at the center of everything wrong about the team is majority owner Davis, at 77 increasingly frail yet still firmly in charge of every aspect of the operation, unwilling to step aside, unwilling or unable to move out of the past and deal with today's NFL.

Davis and the Raiders exist in a world unlike any in the league. He surely must have been angered by this season and its 2-14 ugliness. Yet until he fired coach Art Shell on January 4, the most visible sign of displeasure from Davis over the past few months came after a perceived slight to his team's legacy. NFL Network ranked the top 20 all-time Super Bowl winners; it placed the Raiders' 1983 champions 20th. Davis was outraged; the organization sent out e-mails to national media questioning how the network could not rate the team as perhaps the best ever.

That legacy is all Davis has left, and he guards it with remarkable zeal. Everything about the Raiders is their past, the titles, the Hall of Fame players. But the present? The joke around the NFL is that no one does losing better than the Raiders. Even in the best of times, it is a dysfunctional organization. But the crushing pressure generated by losing this season created an ongoing soap opera of laughable proportions. One star receiver was suspended for complaining about a practice, another admitted he dropped passes because he didn't care, the head coach publicly accused a team personnel executive of undermining the organization to the media, the new quarterback wondered at one point, "What have I gotten into?"

The results on the field were truly embarrassing. The Raiders set franchise records for most losses and fewest points scored. In the Davis era, which began in 1963 when he became coach and general manager, they never had been shut out twice at home nor had they lost nine straight games; both happened this season. They finished last in the league in points (10.5 per game), offense (246.2 yards per game), sacks allowed (72), turnovers (46) and takeaway/giveaway differential (minus-23). How bad is bad? The Raiders lost to Houston despite holding the Texans to minus-5 yards passing. They had nary a touchdown in their last three games; LaDainian Tomlinson singlehandledly scored 15 more touchdowns than the Raiders this season.

But this was not an anomaly. Since losing Super Bowl 37 after the 2002 season, their 15-49 record is the worst in the NFL, outdoing even the pathetic Lions'. Over the past 12 years, Oakland has had three winning seasons, two while Jon Gruden was coach. Even more telling: The Raiders have not won a Super Bowl in 23 years and have played for the NFL title just once in that span. But until now, they never had suffered four consecutive losing seasons. Until now, they never had gone two years without a division win.

If Gruden had stayed, this current mess might not be happening. But he couldn't coexist with Davis, who disliked seeing his coach receive much of the credit for the team's success. Nor would Gruden abide by Davis' constant interference. Gruden welcomed a trade after the 2001 season that landed him in Tampa; he promptly coached the Bucs to a win over the Raiders in Super Bowl 37. In the five years since Gruden's departure, Davis has gone through three head coaches.

"Al had the coach he needed in Gruden," one NFL team official says. "If they had been able to work together, none of what you see now would have happened. But Al doesn't want anyone else to be in the spotlight but him. When people began saying Gruden was the reason the Raiders were good, it was only a matter of time before he was gone."

Once, coaching or playing for the Raiders was a gem on a resume. John Madden won a Super Bowl and is in the Hall of Fame. Tom Flores won two rings and might get in one day. Now, no proven head coach will work for Davis. And most high-profile candidates won't interview. After the 2005 season, the Raiders even were turned down by a college coach, Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who recently took over the Falcons. Shell's hiring a year ago was a desperate move; he was the loyal Raider who had been fired once, in 1994, by Oakland because he no longer met Davis' expectations. Davis still can sign some big-name free agents -- LaMont Jordan being the prime example -- if the money is right. But it's no longer an honor to be in a Raiders uniform.

The Raiders remain undaunted. Chief executive Amy Trask says that any view of them should embrace a bigger picture, that during this decade they've been to two AFC title games and won three AFC West championships, more than any division rival. "It's important that when you look at 2006, you look at it in the perspective of the last seven years," Trask says. "It is really only fair to look at it in that context. We've always been able to regain success. We can turn this around, and we will turn it around."

What does Davis think? The Raiders did not make him available for an interview.

Still, the common thread through all of this -- the reign of success, the decay into ineptness -- is Davis. Figuring out how the Raiders got into this present state of disrepair starts with him.

There is no doubting that Davis is one of the great football men in NFL history. He already is in the Hall of Fame, and his immense intelligence and keen football instincts built the Raiders into one of the most successful, popular sports franchises ever. "Al is the last of a breed," says Ron Wolf, the former Packers general manager who worked 24 years with the Raiders and Davis. "He is brilliant and still very, very sharp. He knows every part of the franchise -- coaching, personnel, business. He was great in every area. But the game has changed so much -- it's so big now, it just is different from what it once was."

But Davis is not different. He continues to be the Raiders' personnel chief. He no longer attends practices, but he reviews practice tape. He has last say on lineup changes, on roster decisions, on hiring assistant coaches, on both the final setup of the draft board and players who are selected. He studies tapes of opponents and has significant input into game plans and schemes.

In his last public appearance, in the locker room December 17 after a loss to the Rams, Davis alluded to the strain of his workload. "(Practice tape) takes so goddamn long to go through," he lamented. "It takes three hours to go through offense, defense, special teams, looking at every player and watching what they're doing tactically, strategy and all."

As is his habit, he rambled from subject to subject. At one point, he said, "What I say to you is: five decades, five Super Bowls, four head coaches, four different quarterbacks." And: "I want to win. Obviously in life, I like certain things. I like beautiful women more than unbeautiful women. I'm not in any way demeaning the unbeautiful women. I want to win, and I will win, and we will win for the Raiders, and we'll get this thing straightened out."

He wears all white or all black. That hasn't changed, either; on this day, white was the choice. As he talked, he leaned on his walker, his face pasty-white and hollow, his eyes reddened, his left leg in a brace, both legs betraying him with every step. "I want to get this (leg) thing well -- it's tough," he admitted. "No one seems to have an answer." Davis won't say what is wrong; evidently it is a nerve problem that has defied treatment and cure.

Once, when he was younger, he was good enough to handle all of his multiple tasks at a superior level. But that was before the era of salary caps and free agents, before rules changes hindered his ability to run players in and out, to pay them what he wanted, to cut them at will. His best players were Raiders for life; Madden and Flores were his only coaches for 19 consecutive seasons.

Now, things are different. "He has lost his fastball," says one NFL personnel man. "He used to be the best personnel guy in the league. Not anymore. Look at the Raiders' drafts. He still is picking defensive backs early; it's a joke. He is living in the past. The game and the kids have changed so much. It's not like when you had kids who wanted to play, who weren't overpaid, who worked hard. One or two bad guys can ruin it all. He is not willing to change how he does anything. He is going down with what he knows."

He never cared about character. If he had, those old Raiders teams, with John Matuszak and the rest, would not have been nearly as fun to watch. But now you get stuck with someone like Randy Moss and his large cap number and the whole roster is affected. "Maybe I need to pay more attention to character," he has told folks in the league.

He is difficult to work for, a demanding second-guesser who encourages paranoia, bickering and insecurity within the building. Too many of those employees are sycophants, loyalists whose duty is to agree with him and reinforce the Raiders' legacy and his role in creating it. The Raiders always seem angry, defensive, wary of conspiracies.

This season, we briefly got a glimpse of the dysfunction. At a news conference in late November, Shell astonishingly called out a team employee, whom he did not name, and lambasted him for undermining the Raiders by criticizing offensive coordinator Tom Walsh, a close friend of Shell's, to national media. "There has been an attack on my (football) family," said Shell, and he referred to the employee as a "fox inside your chicken coop." Reporters immediately knew Shell was referring to senior personnel executive Mike Lombardi. Amazingly, nothing came of the episode; both Shell and Lombardi continued in their positions.

Whatever authority Oakland's head coach might have had in the past now has evaporated. In disputes between players and coaches, Davis inevitably favors the players, particularly the most talented ones. The players know this, and they view their head coach as powerless. During the 2005 season, for example, then-coach Norv Turner benched quarterback Kerry Collins and replaced him with Marques Tuiasosopo, a 2001 second-round choice who has been a bust. Tuiasosopo played miserably in that start, but after the game Turner said Tuiasosopo would continue to be No. 1. Three days later, Turner said Collins had regained his starting role. The coach had been overruled by Davis.

This year, receiver Alvis Whitted, blessed with great speed but second-rate skills, remained a starter even though Ronald Curry, who had returned from a 2005 injury, was a better player. Davis favors receivers who can stretch the field, which Curry can't do. Whitted kept his starting position for 13 games, until he was injured. Curry, despite uneven playing time, caught a team-leading 62 passes, 35 more than Whitted.

"What's sad is that Al is hiring head coaches he knows can't be successful," says one team executive. Says another personnel man: "They haven't adjusted to today's times and today's football and today's players. They're still trying to strong-arm people with their tactics. They still try and go by the old Raider mentality, where they shouldn't flex as much as just make better decisions with a little better judgment." But there's more. "Until they solve the quarterback situation, they won't get any better," says ESPN analyst Joe Theismann. "And they have to change their offensive philosophy. I remember when Magic Johnson tried to coach the Lakers. He lasted just a few games, he couldn't talk to the new generation, it didn't work. That's what happened to Art. You need someone running the offense who is up-to-date."

Since Super Bowl 37, the decline of the Raiders has been steady and stunning. Bill Callahan, who coached that squad after replacing Gruden, lasted one more year. Following a 4-12 season in which Callahan called his team the dumbest in America, Davis fired him and hired Turner, who had one playoff team in his seven years as Redskins coach.

At the end of his two-season tenure (9-23), Turner was haggard and jittery. The players had lost respect for him -- particularly Moss, who was obtained from the Vikings in 2005 to help restore the Raiders' vertical passing game. Moss wasn't happy, Collins deteriorated, and the Raiders finished 2005 with a six-game losing streak. Davis then turned to Shell, who vowed to restore the team's swagger and toughness. And his offense? "Run it and strike deep," he said. Back to the old Raider Way.

Instead, 2006 became the antithesis of everything Davis had created with the franchise. The defense finished an impressive third in the NFL. But on offense, it was horrid:
    • Shell clashed immediately with receiver Jerry Porter, who had 76 catches in 2005. Porter wanted to do his offseason training in Florida; Shell wanted him at the Oakland facility. Then Porter complained loudly about a lengthy October practice; Warren Sapp said he had heard "a lot worse." But Shell kicked out Porter and the Raiders suspended him for four games, a penalty cut in half after a compromise with the NFLPA. Yet, inexplicably, Oakland neither traded nor waived Porter. He was inactive most games and finished the season with just one reception.
    • The self-centered Moss was appointed offensive captain for the season, an awful decision. He became a barometer for all things wrong with the offense. On a radio show before the first game, he complained: "There's a lot of funny things going on in this organization. ... It's fishy around here, so actually we're walking on eggshells around here." In early October, he said: "I'm doing fine. I'm not even concerned with football right now. I'm just loving life." Asked if he was concerned about the team, he answered: "No, because it doesn't seem like nobody else is concerned, so why should I?" Asked about a trade, he said: "If it is good for this team for me to be traded, of course." In November, he attributed his numerous dropped passes to "a bad mood" affecting his concentration and focus, all stemming from his unhappiness with everything Raiders. He sat out the final three games with an ankle injury and finished with 42 catches.
    • Walsh was hired by Shell and Davis as offensive coordinator even though he had not been in the NFL since he was fired as part of Shell's 1994 staff. Walsh was running a bed and breakfast in Idaho when called back by the Raiders; the offense he installed was so basic and unimaginative that it became an embarrassment. Finally, before the 12th game, Shell demoted Walsh and handed over the offense to another assistant, John Shoop. Under Walsh, the Raiders averaged 12.0 points; under Shoop 7.2.
    • Davis dumped Collins after the 2005 season and brought in free agent Aaron Brooks, a former starter in New Orleans who was considered merely a quality backup by most of the league. Yet Davis liked Brooks' strong arm and hoped he could get the ball downfield to Moss and Porter. But Brooks, who struggled with injuries all season, instead demonstrated the same bad decision making and error-ridden play that had soured the Saints on him. He did not win a game as starter.

In December, he admitted wondering, "What have I gotten into?" The Raiders offense he had dreamed about? "I have my PlayStation for that," he said. The real Oakland offense? "I see a lack of motivation, enthusiasm, excitement and skill. Right now, we need a miracle to get something done offensively."
    • The Raiders traded receiver Doug Gabriel to the Patriots the week of the first game even though Porter was the one in Davis' doghouse. New England cut Gabriel in December. The Raiders claimed him off waivers.

Now the Raiders have the No. 1 pick in the draft. That last happened in 1962, pre-Davis, when they chose quarterback Roman Gabriel first in the AFL draft. But he never signed with them. The obvious choice this year would be a quarterback. But with so many needs, Oakland could opt to trade the selection for multiple choices and/or veteran players. Davis has drafted only three quarterbacks in the first round, and all three (Marc Wilson, Todd Marinovich and Eldridge Dickey) have been mediocre or worse. He seems better at finding retreads such as Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon, who unexpectedly flourished as Raiders.

Davis' latest attempts to fix the offense have failed. His line, composed mostly of recent draft selections, is a mess; Jordan, a big-bucks free-agent running back, hasn't proved he is a top runner; Davis' best players, Moss and Porter, have created what teammate Jarrod Cooper called a circus; and none of the 16 offensive players taken in the past four drafts has become a star.

But Davis is entertaining no thoughts of stepping aside. "To the contrary," Trask says, "He is energized and eager to get started on the 2007 season." That may be the worst possible news for Raiders fans everywhere.

Senior writer Paul Attner covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at attner@sportingnews.com.
    Find a new slant.

Thumbs down

Probably just the media hating on the Raiders again for no reason, right Gutz?
    Glenn these things become a waste of time with you. You play dumber than a retard when you the subject isnt something you mancrush. Then ask a question that doesnt have shit to do with what I said. I never said no reason. Never implied as much. The Raiders are known to be very secretive in their decisions and have pissed on hundreds of reporters trying to get into the behind the scenes element of the team. Not even their local people get much access. They've never been liked or disliked. Its hated or loved. And you're loving any team that cock blocks your "inside" stories. This isnt the first shot taken at the team and won't be the last.

And furthermore the lions receive pity. They've never been on top. Theres no fun in kicking them when they are down, except in detroit. Of course you have articles calling for millen to stay and fix his mess. Which I'd love to see. Much like mike martz kicking onside kicks early, i expect all the gloating we did when we stepped on people's necks to come back around. pittsburgh will get some of that too soon.

if you you're gonna post in here. try something more useful.
    ^

Fred Biletnikoff Retires

Raider Legend Fred Biletnikoff, who has enjoyed an illustrious 32-year career with the Raider organization as a player and coach, has announced his retirement. The Pro Football Hall of Famer spent the past 18 years on the Raider coaching staff, the last 10 tutoring the Silver and Black's wide receivers. He also coached Raider wideouts from 1989-94 and served as quality control assistant for the Raiders from 1995-96. Click here to read more...
    CABLE UPDATE: Tom Cable said he is optimistic about replacing Jackie Slater as the Raiders' primary offensive line coach. Slater was informed by new head coach Kiffin on Monday that he is free to seek employment elsewhere. He would remain with the Raiders in a scouting role if he is unable to find work with one of the league's 31 other teams.

Kiffin offered Cable a job last week, but he has been occupied by other matters and unable to finalize the deal.

"We talked about it," Cable said, when reached by phone. "We're just trying to work through things right now."

When asked if he expected to be the Raiders offensive line coach in 2007, he said: "I hope so. Absolutely."

The Raiders offensive line was thought to be a strength entering the 2006 season. However, the Raiders offense struggled.

The Raiders allowed a league-worst 72 sacks and scored only 12 offensive touchdowns in 16 games. Cable said he isn't sure what to make of the offensive linemen he intends to work with in the near future.

Cable was the Atlanta Falcons offensive line coach last season. He wasn't retained by Bobby Petrino, who was hired to replaced the fired Jim Mora. Cable was Cal's offensive line coach from 1992-97.
    we signed him as of today.

The new Raiders coach tells some assistants they won't be needed any longer
    By Steve Corkran
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

NFL

New Raiders coach Lane Kiffin continued the makeover of the coaching staff he inherited when he replaced the fired Art Shell on Jan. 22 by informing demoted offensive coordinator Tom Walsh and offensive line coach Jackie Slater, among others, that their services aren't wanted under his command, a person familiar with the process confirmed Tuesday night.

Walsh, Slater, assistant defensive backs/special teams coach Lorenzo Ward and offensive quality control coach Robert Ford were told they are free to seek employment elsewhere. If they aren't successful in doing so, they will be reassigned within the organization, most likely as scouts, so that the Raiders get something in return for the money they are owed for the 2007 season.

Also, special teams coach Ted Daisher was hired by the Cleveland Browns for a similar position. He spent last season with the Raiders after a two-season stint as a special teams assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Finally, assistant defensive line coach Darryl Sims was asked to re-interview for his job. He and an outside candidate, from Fresno State, are being considered for the job, the person familiar with the process said.

Sims would be reassigned to the scouting department, as well, if he gets passed over by Kiffin.

The Raiders did not announce any of the moves Tuesday, but all of the affected coaches' names had been removed from the team's Web site by Tuesday night.

Walsh and Slater became lightning rods for criticism last season because of the poor showing by Oakland's offense. The Raiders scored a league-worst 168 points -- only 138 on offense -- and allowed a league-high 72 sacks in a 2-14 campaign. Raiders managing general partner Al Davis, in Kiffin's introductory news conference, Jan. 23 singled out the offense as the main culprit for the team's miserable season last year and hinted at change.

Shell demoted Walsh after 11 games last season, under pressure from Davis and others to make a change.

John Shoop replaced Walsh the final five games, but the Raiders fared even worse offensively.

The six aforementioned coaches joined the Raiders last season, soon after Shell was hired. Kiffin replaced Walsh with former Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Greg Knapp on Monday. He has made an offer to former Falcons offensive line coach Tom Cable to assume a similar role with the Raiders. However, Cable still hasn't made a decision on whether he wants to accept.
    we also nabbed Tom Rathman from from the niners as or RB coach.

Web site reports Clemson's Spence interviewing with Raiders
    Thursday, February 01, 2007

CLEMSON - Rob Spence is speaking with the NFL's Oakland Raiders about a position on their staff, a Clemson fan Web site has reported.

Tigerillustrated.com reported Wednesday night that Spence, Clemson's offensive coordinator the past two years, was in Oakland interviewing for the Raiders' quarterbacks job.

Spence recently turned down lucrative offers by Alabama and Minnesota, both of which wanted him as offensive coordinator. After he rebuffed Minnesota, Spence assured head coach Tommy Bowden and athletic director Terry Don Phillips that he was committed to helping Clemson recover from last season's 8-5 disappointment.

Tigerillustrated.com also reported Wednesday night that receivers coach Dabo Swinney turned down an offer from Alabama coach Nick Saban.

Swinney and Spence could not be reached for comment.
    ^

spence chose to stay at clemson, but we nabbed this guy from the Squeelers Glenn.
    Darren Perry, who has coached defensive backs for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003, joins The Oakland Raiders in the same capacity.
    "Darren's track record speaks for itself in Pittsburgh, first as an outstanding player and then equally as a proven coach," said Raiders Head Coach Lane Kiffin. "His work in the defensive backfield has resulted in championship caliber play from all areas. More specifically, his work with Troy Polamalu, whom I'm very familiar with, has been outstanding and will translate well with the great talent we have here."

The 38-year-old Perry, a standout defensive back for Pittsburgh during the 1990s, returned to the Steelers in 2003 as assistant defensive backs coach. He was promoted to defensive backs coach in 2004, where his secondary ranked fourth in the NFL against the pass. Perry was also a part of the 2005 championship coaching staff that won Super Bowl XL.

Perry spent the 2002 season as the safeties coach for the Cincinnati Bengals, prior to returning to Pittsburgh.

He played seven seasons (1992-98) with the Steelers and started the first 110 games of his career, including the postseason. Perry signed with the San Diego Chargers in 1999 and rounded out his playing career in 2000 with the New Orleans Saints. He played in 139 games total. He started 13 postseason games, including Super Bowl XXX. He had a career total of 35 interceptions.

Perry played college football at Penn State where he established several school records, including 299 interception return yards and three interceptions for touchdowns.
    ^

Blog Entries
    Who is the pick going to be, Gutz?

Russell or Johnson?
    Find a new slant.

Either way I wish they would start negotiating and get a freaking deal done like Mario Williams and Alex Smith so we could get the official trade offers from other teams to start rolling in.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

The Raiders did make a "lowbal" offer to Quinn.

But it's probably just a smokescreen to get someone to trade up (Tampa? Cleveland?).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Who is the pick going to be, Gutz?

Russell or Johnson?
    probably Russell. but Calvin Johnson ransom is very possible. Davis is very secretive(evident by him locking out his gm mike lombardi from draft discussions because of him being known to leak info), so anything is possible within these 3 choices.

1.)Draft Russell
    2.) Draft Calvin Johnson
    3.)Draft calvin johnson for trade purposes and nab quinn/russell at #4.
    ^

Blog Entries
    Well that narrows it down some.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread