+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warriors want Nazr?

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?

Warriors want Nazr?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/16496900.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MARCUS THOMPSON
    MARCUS THOMPSON II: NBA
    Warriors have surplus of swingmen
    So now that the dust has cleared from Wednesday's tornado of events, it's easier to survey the Warriors' new roster.

It's clearly a better team, at least in regards to coach Don Nelson's style. It's no doubt much more feasible to work with financially, which will benefit executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin in the future. It figures to be a more entertaining team, thanks to the increase in athleticism and off-the-court story lines.

But perhaps the most intriguing aspect resulting from Wednesday's whirlwind eight-player trade with the Indiana Pacers involves a decision that still has to be made, maybe by the Feb. 22 NBA trade deadline. Don't know if you noticed, but the Warriors now have three swingmen: Jason Richardson, Mickael Pietrus and recently acquired Stephen Jackson.

All three will play some shooting guard and small forward in Nelson's system. Only problem is, Nelson doesn't need three, especially since Monta Ellis is a lock to get some time at shooting guard. What Mullin, Nelson and general manager Rod Higgins have to decide is who stays and who goes. Let's say the Warriors keep two, starting one at small forward and the other at shooting guard, with Ellis coming off the bench, or starting with Ellis and the other coming off the bench.

Which two will Mullin keep? How much will salary factor in? Will he move one by the trade deadline or wait until the offseason?

Mullin intimated Wednesday that another move could come sooner rather than later. There are already rumors about the Warriors trying to get center Nazr Mohammed from Detroit, which has been shopping Mohammed in a search of backcourt help.

"Timing-wise," Mullin said when asked if he would be active near the trade deadline. "I think it's good because it gives us a good month to get a look at this, where we are, to maybe re-evaluate that."

So, who has the advantage? One would think Richardson is a lock to stay. But Pietrus and Jackson are cheaper.

Richardson's making a lot of money ($10 million this season, $51 million in the next four years after that). What's more, Nelson -- who obviously has some pull with the front office -- hasn't gotten to see Richardson at his best. Richardson has been hurt all season, so Nellie doesn't know the JR that carried this team last season. He might not be as loyal to Richardson as are Mullin and many fans. That could be a factor. If so, Richardson's plan to return the first game after the All-Star break might be a good idea.

If Pietrus (restricted free agent after this season) and Jackson (due $21.3 million over the next three years, not counting this season) together can accomplish what Richardson can, the Warriors may be willing to move Richardson and save the money -- especially if they can work out a reasonable extension with Pietrus.

Pietrus has value to the Warriors on the market as the trade deadline nears because he has an expiring $2.5 million contract. But, Pietrus could stick around because he's played himself onto Nelson's good side.

Pietrus is younger and potentially cheaper (unless another team throws an absurd amount of money at him) than Richardson and Jackson. He's also a better defender than either.

Jackson just might be the odd man out. That he still could do some jail time works against him. As does his reputation for being immature and whiny. As does his propensity for taking bad shots and playing poor defense.

But, Jackson is tall, strong, athletic and has the ability to be dominant. Nothing brings foam to the corner of Nellie's mouth like a matchup he can exploit, and Jackson can be a nightmare for opposing shooting guards. Still, it's going to take Jackson's putting on a spectacular show this month to stick around. On the one hand, if he plays well enough to draw interest from others, it might increase his chances of being shipped.

But if he somehow convinces the Warriors he can do as much or more than Richardson for less money, or if he shows he gives more bang for the buck than Pietrus, or if he proves he can be a content force off the bench and give the Warriors the kind of depth they lack, or if no other team is willing to take him off the Warriors' hands, he could stick around.

Of course, the Warriors could choose to keep just one of the three, and rely on the cost-effective production of swingmen Matt Barnes and Kelenna Azubuike. Either way, auditions begin Saturday, against LeBron James.
    i know its probably just a lame rumor, but it is on the frontpage of hoopshype...so this one got me excited...you know it sounds like Nellie really likes both Monta and Pietrus, plus now they will get Jax for SG/SF too and they've got a kid named Kelenna Azubuike who's playing pretty well at SG too, plus Matt Barnes...now after reading that article and looking at the Goldenstate Salary, i wanted to help the warriors to solve their swingman problem

Detroit Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Nazr Mohammed
    6-10 C from Kentucky
    7.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 18.9 minutes
    Dale Davis
    6-11 C from Clemson
    2.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 12.2 minutes
    Ronald Murray
    6-3 SG from Shaw
    7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 22.1 minutes
    Incoming
    Jason Richardson
    6-6 SG from Michigan State
    12.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.9 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -3.5 ppg, -6.9 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

Golden State Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jason Richardson
    6-6 SG from Michigan State
    12.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.9 minutes
    Incoming
    Nazr Mohammed
    6-10 C from Kentucky
    7.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 18.9 minutes
    Dale Davis
    6-11 C from Clemson
    2.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 12.2 minutes
    Ronald Murray
    6-3 SG from Shaw
    7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 22.1 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +3.5 ppg, +6.9 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Detroit and Golden State being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Detroit and Golden State had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

ok this looks more like a Piston Pete trade, but here are the reasons why it might work for Gstate too

1. they get their beloved Nazr
    2. both Dale and Flip will be off the cap this summer, they save $ 20 mil total
    3. ok, throw in both of our first round picks to get it done

now i have no idea why Gstate would want Nazr, cause we sure wont take back( or have any interesst in) Foyle or Jax...thats why i came up with the crazy Jrich trade.

ok so this just is a pipe dream, but look at GSW salaries and propose a realistic trade not including Foyle or some of the new players with Nazr ending up in Golden State(the new guys can just be traded within 48 hours or after 6 weeks again i think)
    Last edited by Joe Asberry; 01-19-2007 at 09:17 AM.

I like the deal with our first, but not both firsts. The cap saving and 1 first is enough to entice them IMO. You could probably find a J Rich in the draft with Orlando's pick anyway if you wanted to. This way you could draft a future PG maybe.

What about getting Seattle invloved to get us Watson? Do they need a swingman there? They don't have anything backing up Allen and Lewis.

Nazr to GSW, Jackson to Seattle, Watson to Detroit?
    Last edited by WTFchris; 01-19-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to steal Pietrus to back up Tay, but I don't think Delfino & Flip Jr. would get it done, even if Nellie would love both of those guys.

I don't see a good fit for Nazr's salary coming back to us, unless a 3rd team got involved.

GSW just doesn't have the spare PGs to give us our biggest need.

Adding JRich doesn't appeal to me all that much (even if he is from Michigan, lol). His contract and his expectations for what role he would have here would be the biggest obstacles.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-19-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Find a new slant.

^I wonder if he would flourish in a reserve swingman role. Similar to Gordon coming off the bench but dropping 20 a night. Maybe he would be better suited as an instant offense guy. That's a lot of money to pay a guy in that role for sure though. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that I worry that Davidson wouldn't let us pay Billups.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

No way I'd give up both firsts for JRich. How's he going to feel coming off the bench anyway, because there's no way Rip or Tay are getting benched for him. That would destroy team chemistry. What about a Nazr for Pietrus type deal, if we could ever convince them of something like that? I don't know how the salaries match, and I'm sure it's extremely unlikely, but it's interesting to think about.

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    Jrich = microwave

ok maybe not, but he can score for sure and he could back up 1-3 plus we could try that smallball thing again, and i agree that's a lot of cash you're paying a backup, but i think its a risk you should take if this teams goal is it to win another championchip...2 first might be too much, yeah but i don't think they'll do it with one...3 team trade? if they want Nazr, they ve got to trade guys worth at least 4,x mil, or inculde a team with some capspace i think

edit: ok i have no idea if Jrick would execpt coming off the bench...this might be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Nazr to GSW, Jackson to Seattle, Watson to Detroit?
    i like it
    Last edited by Joe Asberry; 01-19-2007 at 09:45 AM.

I've seen JRich play the 2 and the 3, but never PG

+ Reply to Thread