+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Durant will be one of the greatest of all time.

Hibbert is a great example. You may be right about seeing him in person. But he wasn't always the best big man on the floor this season. At times Hibbert and Horford, to give two examples, outplayed him. Yes, they'll both be lottery picks, but not the NBA's best.

If he were in the lineup right now and I had to win a series, I would take several NBA centers over him:
    Dwight Howard
    Shaq
    Bosh
    Sheed
    Duncan
    Stoudamire
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Boozer
    Camby - maybe
    Yao - maybe

Many of those guys play PF as well, but have all played Center at one time or another this season and could all match up with Oden in 7 months. He'll certainly make an impact and win plenty of battles, but he's not going to be dominant as a rookie. For starters, unless Stern anoints him under the Dwayne Wade foul rules, he'll have to figure out how to stay in games. Next, he'll have to go through the daily grind of games when a soft opponent is Pao Gasol, not Courtney Sims. When he does that in a few years, he'll be one of the best.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Okay, first of all you are comparing a 19 year old kid to NBA veterans. I never said Oden was better than all the NBA All Star Centers right now. He's 19! But you give him a few years and he'll be dominant.

Second, I don't know which games you were watching but Hibbert and Horford did not outplay Oden. The game plan for both of those teams was to attack Oden possession after possession and it didn't work. Horford could not finish at all on Oden. He ended up scoring some, but it wasn't inside with Oden defending. Hibbert vs. Oden looked like Grand Am vs. Corvette at times.

BTW, you did not throw out Carlos Boozer or Camby over Oden. No way did you say that.

Jethro, how come you're always hating on the college stars? Reggie Bush, Troy Smith/Ginn/& Co., Neitzel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    KEVIN GARNETT is in the All Time top 50? WHY?

Because he is one of the 50 best in the history of the sport. This point is beyond arguement unless you are strictly considering titles and little else. If Barkley and Malone are in your top 50, Garnett is as well. His best team mate has been either Latrell, Sam, or Starburry, take your pick.

He's the only guy to ever get 20-10-5 for 6 consecutive seasons, he's been on the all D team for the past 6 years, he plays every game, and he may be the most versitile player in league history.

Look, if you want to make him 51, then whatever, but its outright stupid to think you wouldn't look at his career, compare it to others, and make him one of the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    Garnett is not one of the top 50 all time. I don't really know what mother fucks sake means...? When others compared him to KG, I'm assuming they are saying he's just going to be another talented player to never win anything.

Yes he is, you and zip are jerkoffs. It means "fucks sake", but while fucking your mother. I had assumed when someone compared basketball players they were comparing basketball players. No one has a fucking clue if he's going to win titles, but we can discuss his talent relative to players in the league today.

Well, on Garnett, I'm going to put that old "Do he makes otha muthafuckas on his team better" out there, and have to say "No. No he does not"
    Now, no one can win a title by himself, so I really don't count titles as part of a muthafuckas repertoire, but they do help.
    Top 50, or one of the GOAT's is heady stuff, and if you think he's there, then more power to ya. I tend to think a guy should go beyond playing the numbers game. I really don't think it's that big a deal for a 6'10 guy who is THE Playa on his team to go for 20-10 every night. If Garnett is Top 50 already, the NBA is historically weak in individual talent, then.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Ok, you just said that KG doesn't make others on his team better, and I'm going to take your "plays the numbers game" thing as calling him selfish. This despite the fact he is the best in the league at making others better, and is considered one of the least selfish/most team oriented guys in the league.

Garnett doesn't put up 20-10 anyway, he puts up stats that no player ever has.

Would you agree that kg is a top 8 pf?

Hermy...do you need a hug? I think Garnett is very good. However, Barkley and Malone are in a different category than Garnett. Never thought F bombs would be thrown around on WTF when it came to Kevin Garnett, weird.

I thought we were talking Durant...then Oden...now Garnett?

Did he make the 50 All Time List, seriously don't know, but I'm doubting it.

I do not need a hug. I hope that you are not suggesting someone else needs to lighten up.

The 50 list came out in 97. Slam had one in '03 and he was #70 something. Since then he's had 3 more monster years.

I don't get how Barkley is that much better than KG that he's in a different category.

Debusschere and Shayes were PFs on the top 50, and I'd say KG rates well with them.

Pippen was on the top 50 list. KG is far better than Pippen ever was. "But Pippen has rings." Put KG on those teams with MJ, and Phil as the coach, and he gets the rings with ease. Remember everyone gravy training on Houston? Barkely trying to get his ring? Pippen going for another? With the Blazers too? Ddin't happen.
    The top 50 list was shaky when it came out. It was an amazing marketing ploy for David Stern and his boys. But the flaws in comparing people across generations were abundant. It still exists today.

But the reason why we're having this conversation is that KG is one of the best in the game. He has changed the way people his size play the game. He was the first right out of high school and the one who proved it could be done. Pistons boards everywhere have drooled over him for years. The biggest criticism on KG is that he makes way too much money, not that his game doesn't support it but that it has placed a financial handicap on the franchise. As for maing other players better, he absolutely does. Marbury's years with him were arguably the best of his career. Same for Wally, and so on.

So the point is that KG is that good. And yet people were offended that Durant could be compared to KG. Like it was a cut on Durant or something. 99.99999% of all college forwards wish they could be mentioned in the same sentence as KG. It's quite a complement for someone who hasn't scored a single point in the NBA yet.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread